Your favorite sausages?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Sadly we don't typically eat much at home so I've never settled on a type or brand. Otherwise whatever Streetwurst they sell in Austria and Hungary

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I find boars head to be expensive for lower quality. I enjoy making my own sausage. The best part aside from taste of course is significantly longer shelf life versus commercial brands.

Agreed. It's basically Columbus quality (or worse) with some undeserved brand clout. I don't get it. The best brand that I have tried in the states is Fra'mani

http://www.framani.com/

Of course, it is all Italian salamis and pancetta, but what the fuck else do you want, really? Except maybe Kielbasa....I do love Kielbasa.

OP is lucky because he lives in an area where Fra'mani is plentiful and easy to obtain, just about anywhere he goes. I hate this--and I hate it even more that he almost certainly doesn't even know it. :mad:

--I mean--the fuck goes to Berkeley Bowl to get Saag's branded dogshit--seriously: SAAG'S,-while BB carries every thing that Fra'mani distributes, in various areas of the store. I am angry this evening.

also, OP: every sausage has sodium nitirte. ALL OF THEM. it is part of the curing process. It is also completely natural. You can't have sausage without it. You just fucking can't. You can pick up "uncured" meats like bacon/pancetta whatever--but this just means that they are brined with concentrated celery/celery salts because...ta-da! celery naturally contains sodium nitrite. THe only difference is that they aren't using Prague/Pink salt for curing--just replacing the NaNO2 salt in the brine with concentrated celery...to match the exact same level of NaNO2 in the Prague salt...but you know, it's more "natural" that way.

anyhoo, the only way to avoid that stuff is to not eat sausage or other cured meats. If the package tells you it doesn't have it, it's because they are lying (they used celery salt instead of the purified stuff, and thus don't have to list it for FDA)

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I love any real Andouille, dont really have any particular brands. My brother makes some really good ones at home using a mixer with grinder addon. The Grocery stores sometimes sell Aida's or Johnsonville which are both decent brands. The best Andoiulle is usually made with disgusting parts of the pig's digestive system. Its spicy and has a strong smell. Its more or less awesome in N'awlns style foods.
It smells like a belch (if we are talking about the French ones).

Herr Kutz

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2009
I love any real Andouille, dont really have any particular brands. My brother makes some really good ones at home using a mixer with grinder addon. The Grocery stores sometimes sell Aida's or Johnsonville which are both decent brands. The best Andoiulle is usually made with disgusting parts of the pig's digestive system. Its spicy and has a strong smell. Its more or less awesome in N'awlns style foods.

It's a must in red beans & rice and gumbo.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
It's a must in red beans & rice and gumbo.
I was making a lot of red beans and rice when I came home from Nawlins last Feb. Got into it after having eaten at Mother's a couple times. Had a lot of sausage in it IIRC at Mother's.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Agreed. It's basically Columbus quality (or worse) with some undeserved brand clout. I don't get it. The best brand that I have tried in the states is Fra'mani

http://www.framani.com/

Of course, it is all Italian salamis and pancetta, but what the fuck else do you want, really? Except maybe Kielbasa....I do love Kielbasa.

OP is lucky because he lives in an area where Fra'mani is plentiful and easy to obtain, just about anywhere he goes. I hate this--and I hate it even more that he almost certainly doesn't even know it. :mad:

--I mean--the fuck goes to Berkeley Bowl to get Saag's branded dogshit--seriously: SAAG'S,-while BB carries every thing that Fra'mani distributes, in various areas of the store. I am angry this evening.

also, OP: every sausage has sodium nitirte. ALL OF THEM. it is part of the curing process. It is also completely natural. You can't have sausage without it. You just fucking can't. You can pick up "uncured" meats like bacon/pancetta whatever--but this just means that they are brined with concentrated celery/celery salts because...ta-da! celery naturally contains sodium nitrite. THe only difference is that they aren't using Prague/Pink salt for curing--just replacing the NaNO2 salt in the brine with concentrated celery...to match the exact same level of NaNO2 in the Prague salt...but you know, it's more "natural" that way.

anyhoo, the only way to avoid that stuff is to not eat sausage or other cured meats. If the package tells you it doesn't have it, it's because they are lying (they used celery salt instead of the purified stuff, and thus don't have to list it for FDA)
OK, chastised. Thanks for the tips, you rock, man!

I'll be checking out the Fra'mani at BB, figure to stop hounding the Saag's at the meat counter. And I'll check out the kielbasa.

Herr Kutz

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2009
I was making a lot of red beans and rice when I came home from Nawlins last Feb. Got into it after having eaten at Mother's a couple times. Had a lot of sausage in it IIRC at Mother's.

Nawlins. Lol smh

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I try not to buy "massed produced" sausage.I'd MUCH rather buy sausage made by a good local meat market/producer when possible.

Andouille is a type of sausage made popular by the cajuns in loozeeyana...when it's made well...it's wonderful. When it's not..........

I like bratwurst, knackwurst, pepperoni, salamis of many kinds, "louisiana hot links," linguisa, and even chorizo, although that usually doesn't like me back.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
I feel thi
the NaNO2 ..to match the exact same level of NaNO2
rwmork.jpg

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
I find boars head to be expensive for lower quality. I enjoy making my own sausage. The best part aside from taste of course is significantly longer shelf life versus commercial brands.

What's your process like?

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
What's your process like?
Depends on the type of sausage. Cured sausage is dried in the fridge for several weeks. Sometimes I smoke them for a few hours in a cold smoke. I haven't got into trying fermented sausage yet. Humidity and temp have to be very carefully controlled. I enjoy making up my own spice blends.

Herr Kutz

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2009
Forgot to mention I got some andouille sausage (Vernon) for Christmas. I kid you not.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
There's a local guy near me that makes lamb loukoniko, it's soooooo good. He only takes bulk orders tho. Bulk for him is 20# or more, which I'm assuming is larger than an alternator.

The best kept secret in sausage. It's basically disappeared around here except for the mass produced frozen stuff.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I looked pretty hard, asked one of the butchers. They had ONLY two varieties of Fra'mani, and were out of one. So, I bought the other, Andouille... it was $7.99 for 12oz IIRC. Good, but fatty... I ran out yesterday, going back to BB today or tomorrow, will see what they have.

I'm looking to DIY. I've done it some in the past, will make one of those mechanical extrusion devices. I want to keep the fat content low. Also want to know what goes in.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I looked pretty hard, asked one of the butchers. They had ONLY two varieties of Fra'mani, and were out of one. So, I bought the other, Andouille... it was $7.99 for 12oz IIRC. Good, but fatty... I ran out yesterday, going back to BB today or tomorrow, will see what they have.

I'm looking to DIY. I've done it some in the past, will make one of those mechanical extrusion devices. I want to keep the fat content low. Also want to know what goes in.

Did you try BB West? It's cleaner, better-stocked, and has far less dirty barefoot hippies roaming the isles. Also, you maybe don't want to ask the butcher, you want to go to the deli counter, where they keep the cured meats (salamis, pancettas, proscuitto, etc). However, BB West does also carry pre-packaged and weighed portions of cured and uncured pancettas, in the packaged meat isle across from the butcher (so, opposite side of the deli), and their salamis. Granted, of course they may happen to be out, as you experienced.

I'm really not sure what the selection is like at Original BB, because I stopped going there when the new one opened. You can also find this stuff at the Italian market/deli at the 4th street shopping area. ...forget what it's called, but it's directly across from the Sur La Table.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Did you try BB West? It's cleaner, better-stocked, and has far less dirty barefoot hippies roaming the isles. Also, you maybe don't want to ask the butcher, you want to go to the deli counter, where they keep the cured meats (salamis, pancettas, proscuitto, etc). However, BB West does also carry pre-packaged and weighed portions of cured and uncured pancettas, in the packaged meat isle across from the butcher (so, opposite side of the deli), and their salamis. Granted, of course they may happen to be out, as you experienced.

I'm really not sure what the selection is like at Original BB, because I stopped going there when the new one opened. You can also find this stuff at the Italian market/deli at the 4th street shopping area. ...forget what it's called, but it's directly across from the Sur La Table.
I rarely go to BB West, only when I'm close by (which is going to be even rarer since Orchard Supply Hardware has gone out of business). I live a 2 minute bike ride from the Original BB, work my way through the barefoot hippies (actually, don't remember seeing any).

Last edited:

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
chorizo...especially for breakfast but great anytime of day with eggs and cheese...

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
That recipe uses a "rice bowl" as a unit of volumetric measure. I have to wonder exactly what the equivalent measurement is in cups! I don't have any rice bowls!

So use cups...I am not even sure there is a standard rice bowl size.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
So use cups...I am not even sure there is a standard rice bowl size.
Doesn't matter what you use as long as you're consistent. However a key ingredient isn't scalable here, that 2Kg of pork. They should have said N rice bowls of pork. They didn't, hence the confusion.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Doesn't matter what you use as long as you're consistent. However a key ingredient isn't scalable here, that 2Kg of pork. They should have said N rice bowls of pork. They didn't, hence the confusion.

I'll measure for you when I get home. Though it would be whatever size my rice bowl is.