Your favorite/best N64-PS2 generation co-op games?

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
This should encompass other consoles as well like the GameCube but I'm curious to see what other games people enjoyed playing co-op back in the day. Someone recently recommended me to try Lord of the Rings: Return of the King for the PS2, but I had no idea that game was co-op, so I should have it in the mail by next Tuesday.

Anyways, to start us off, I'll list the ones I remember: (please list the console the game is on)

PSX
Dark Stone
Vigilante 8
Vigilante 8 2nd Offence
Jedi Academy

N64
Gauntlet Legends
Mario Kart 64
Diddy Kong Racing
Goldeneye (not really co-op but too many good memories there)

PS2
Champions of Norrath
Champions: Return to Arms
Baulders Gate Dark Alliance
Gauntlet Legacy

XBOX
Hunter: The Reconing
Halo: CE
Halo 2
Unreal Tournament (console version of UT 2004 I think)

There's more than likely a lot more, but our game library was incredibly vast since both my parents were also gamers and a lot of the games they bought were not for my brother and I, but ones they wanted to play. I'll try to update this if I remember any, but I'd like to see what your favorites were from these generations.

Last edited:

Asmodeus

Jun 26, 2017
PSX
Dark Stone
Vigilante 8
Vigilante 8 2nd Offence

N64
Gauntlet Legends
Mario Kart 64
Diddy Kong Racing
Goldeneye (not really co-op but too many good memories there)

PS2
Champions of Norrath
Champions: Return to Arms
Baulders Gate Dark Alliance
Gauntlet Legacy

I played Goldeneye & Vigilante 8 with friends religiously. Most of the PS2 era I spent playing James Bond 007: Agent Under Fire, MX Vs. Atv Unleashed & The Sims 2 coop.

WildW

Oct 3, 2008
evilpicard.com
In the PS2/XBox era, D&D Heroes (XBox only) was similar to Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance and very good. The Hunter:The Reckoning games (there are about 3 I think) for PS2 and XBox were similar with a modern day vampres/werewolves setting and also pretty fun.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
I only played the first Hunter: The Reckoning game for the XBox. I didn't know they came out for PS2.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Added Jedi Academy to the PSX list (damn game was ridiculously hard) and updated the list to include XBOX games.

Just started a new co-op run through Champions of Norrath with my girlfriend after hitting a rather annoying difficulty spike in Lord of the Rings: Return of the King.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
By the way, does anyone know if any other games like Champions of Norrath exist for the console generation? As in, any that I haven't listed.

HitAnyKey

Oct 4, 2013
Xbox / Any = Lovers in a Dangerous SpaceTime (my fav co-op), Overcooked, Any of the Lego games. The main problem with these is they are local co-op, except for Lego. I think you can play online co-op but not 100%

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Isn't Mario Kart Double-Dash the only Mario Kart with a co-op mode? I believe second player could control the character on the back of the kart in that game.

Mar 11, 2004
No love for Phantasy Star Online? I know some probably view it more as an MMO, but we played it co-op and had a fair amount of fun.

Gauntlet Legends was good fun co-op even though it was a bit crap in many regards. Co-op has a way of making mediocre games far more fun. Had one friend that was like perpetually near death (and they were the archer, so it was baffling as they were barely ever near enemies), and another that would basically grab all the loot (would laugh when the one friend would be like "I need a health!" and then we'd see the other (who was near full health) grab a health item. And then calling each other dumb@$$ when one person would take the lead on finding where we need to go and they'd lead us to a dead end.

Perfect Dark was fairly fun co-op, and we did the Challenges a bunch as well (some were insanely tough, I think there might have been a few that we never beat, but I know there were ones that we spent hours trying to beat, I think most we were able to finally beat). Generally we'd play the game as a team of us against bots. We played Conker's multiplayer that way too, where we'd crank the difficulty up and storm the beach, or protect the flag, or grab the money.

Halo was really fun co-op on Legendary (when I discuss Halo and people say it was overrated I ask if they played it that way and generally its almost always a no; I really think it was that much of a difference, as it had a good challenge and teamwork mattered even more; plus if you got stuck, you could do "strategic dying" where one person would just run in sacrificially but doing what damage they could and then the other just hangs back and respawns them, then goes and sacrifices themself). Halo 2 Legendary was much more difficult (since you could no longer do "strategic dying", I think we settled for beating it on the 2nd hardest because there were a few spots we got absolutely stuck on), but still an ok game. The story kinda wasn't as fun (the Arbiter twist was ok, but Gravemind and then ending on a cliffhanger was meh), and I'll always remember it for what it wasn't after that EGM Halo 2 story where they talked about these huge pitched battles. Halo 3 was more meh for me. Also one change kinda ruined multiplayer for me, was the no-longer-indestructible Warthogs. We had so much fun in multiplayer racing and running into each other doing crazy flips and stuff.

The Lord of the Rings hack 'n slash EA games were alright. Timesplitters 2 was ok. X-Men Legends was kinda fun (and was more simple actionRPG style).

We played Hexen 4 player co-op on N64 and it was kinda fun, but it wasn't really classic. We also had fun with Duke Nuke 'Em 64, but likewise it wasn't a stellar game. We had a hell of a time in some canyon level because we couldn't figure out where to go. I was a bastard camper in the one multiplayer level with the ship, I'd jetpack up to one of the castle turret type spots, and I believe there was explosive ammo up there, so I'd just immediately kill anyone that spawned on the ship, and you could hit people on most of the map with them having little ability to shoot you. It was cheap, but could make for fun king of the hill type of situations where everyone would try to take that person out. I want to say Turok 2 was another one, where it had serious flaws but we had fun. I don't think we played it co-op much though and I only remember some early levels (there was one where you get the Tek Bow, and you could shoot those lizard guys in the head and it'd explode their head with gratuitous blood gushing). Mostly remember running around as the velociraptor in multiplayer and trying to bite people's heads off (it was much faster and could jump far/high).

NBA Hangtime was fairly fun co-op. Blitz was ok, but I enjoyed watching one of my friends get screwed by the CPU (where it would mess with the outcome to make the games closer and stuff, there was one time when I'm not joking there was a dozen fumbles on a single play, with the first one happening like on the 5 yard line just before my friend was going to score a touchdown).

Mario Tennis was fairly fun. Mario Party was...alright. We had fun playing it but I don't remember those games super fondly just because the board game aspects kinda made them less fun (those parts of the game were just so slow, forcing you to have to wait for the animations and everything).

Vigilante 8 was fun. Played the 2nd one on Dreamcast. We'd go up against like 9 (or however many the max was) buses on highest difficulty for a challenge.

By the way, does anyone know if any other games like Champions of Norrath exist for the console generation? As in, any that I haven't listed.

I'll have to check with my friend. Him and his brother played a bunch of those games. I tried playing Champions of Norrath with him but I literally fell asleep while playing it. But that also happened some playing Phantasy Star Online. Its not even that games like that do that to me, we played Diablo 1-3 so much, and plenty of other hack 'n slash games.

I only played the first Hunter: The Reckoning game for the XBox. I didn't know they came out for PS2.

There were 2 on the Xbox. They were both fairly fun. Nothing spectacular, but good mindless hack 'n slash co-op fun. Never played the PS2 ones (I think the only 4 player game I ever played on PS2 was Red Faction 2).

Isn't Mario Kart Double-Dash the only Mario Kart with a co-op mode? I believe second player could control the character on the back of the kart in that game.

I think he just means doing the series races. Technically you were competing, but you didn't have to really compete.

For people that like those types of games, Skateboard Kids was alright too. I think there was a sequel that was ok.

I think Beetle Adventure Racing might scratch a similar itch but I never played it (heard it was good, but something about it never appealed to me).

And of course Diddy Kong Racing (although I think its pretty mediocre compared to Mario Kart; I think the adventure part was really interesting, I just didn't like how generic everything was, and the tracks were often crap I thought). There was that Mickey game (think it was made by Rare too), but never played it. I thought it looked more interesting than Diddy Kong's generic cast of characters and silly carts and stuff.

Asmodeus

Jun 26, 2017
I forgot to mention the N64 wrestling games. They were amazing! We would always play WCW/nWo Revenge and WrestleMania 2000. I would sit and create characters for hours because it had so many different options.