You Ever Look at Old Games You Played in the Past and Said:

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

spittledip

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2005
Gah.. Lands of Lore was horrible.. not sure why so many liked it. I love Wasteland. That game rules, sucky graphics and all. I played it again last year for the heck of it.

Coldkilla

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2004
OFP is still fun, played it for 6 years 2001-2007, during that time I also bought the newest games, got bored, and went right back to OFP. Damned ArmA sucks... thats what I look back at and ask myself why I played it.

Kev

Lifer
Dec 17, 2001
X-Wing and Tie Fighter

What the...???? TIE Fighter is one of my top 5 games ever.

SpeedEng66

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2002
a few months ago

I replayed quest for glory series (aka Hero's quest)
omg even on my old p1 233 laptop the game play was way too fast heh

the pixels the pixels man!

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
Guybrush Threepwood is timeless. All of the old Lucas Arts games are fantastic no matter how they look. Loom, Monkey Island, Grim Fandango, Maniac Mansion, Zak McCracken, etc.

I was thinking about this the other day actually. What would be considered today's version of the old school Lucas Arts games?

mooncancook

Platinum Member
May 28, 2003
I loved Betrayal at Krondor. I tried it again a few years back (I think it became a free d/l) and I couldn't stand the crappy graphics. The only aged game that I can still play is Transport Tycoon Deluxe (OpenTTD).

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
LOL.......lord, I used 'memmaker' and QEMM so much I could do it in my sleep. I think it was one of the XWING games that required an ungodly amount of EMS (or XMS) to run.
I'd love to see another Descent I and/or II with updated graphics. Dang, what was the bad guys name.....Dravis?

Yeah, that was it. There is a heavily upgraded version of D2 called D2X-XL that has numerous graphical improvements while retaining compatibility with the original game.

I wish we had a modern game with that same sort of gameplay. The multiplayer of the Descent games was quite unique and better than conventional FPSs in many ways.

Guybrush Threepwood is timeless. All of the old Lucas Arts games are fantastic no matter how they look. Loom, Monkey Island, Grim Fandango, Maniac Mansion, Zak McCracken, etc.

I was thinking about this the other day actually. What would be considered today's version of the old school Lucas Arts games?

I never tire of those either, especially the MI games. I replayed a bunch of those games just last summer.

Adventure games in general are quite rare these days, although we still get them every now and then. The Broken Sword series is still alive, with a fourth game released earlier this year. I don't think the series as a whole is nearly as good as some of the stuff you mentioned, but the games have gotten progressively better and the most recent one is quite good overall.

Wheelock

May 3, 2007
X-Com: UFO Defense
X-Wing
Simon the Sorceror
Jones in the Fast Lane

Early/mid 1990s PC gaming was awesome.

Some later games worth mentioning would include:

Outlaws
Interstate '76
Command and Conquer

imported_hopeless

Oct 29, 2004
Originally posted by: BladeVenom
Originally posted by: BFG10K
I find most games (e.g. Quake, Quake 2) hold up pretty well; having said that I?ve recently reconfigured them to use high resolution textures.

What I have an issue with is going back to old games that I never played. The original Jedi Knight and System Shock 2 for example I couldn?t stand when I tried to play them.

Did you get better textures and models for SS2? They are several different groups that have made mods to help update the looks of SS2.

I loaded up SS2 under XP a couple of months ago. I never made it far when it came out and wanted to try out some of the update packs that people have made for it. When I tried to run it even before adding any update packs it gave me a codec error, I believe indeo. I went looking on the net and it just so happens to not be a free download, cost about $15 IIRC. I didn't even bother with it, just uninstalled it and put the cd back in my old games box.

wanderer27

Platinum Member
Aug 6, 2005
Not saying it would make a huge difference, but think about the Monitor sizes back then.

Those graphics on a 15" or 17" (fairly big for then) compared to looking at them now on what, 30"+ ?

Yeah, I bet they do look pretty cruddy now under those conditions ;)

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
Vampire: The Masquerade. The first run through was great, but when I went back a year later, the crappiness just exploded.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Jadow
How did I ever play that shlt?

I got a bit Nostalgic today and looked up some of the PC Games I played AND LOVED as a kid, and just can't get over how bad the graphics are. I don't think I can ever go back. It kinda sucks, because I never had a much *FUN* playing games as I did back in the old days as a kid, but, these days, I just can't get over the graphics and even think about playing them again.

i just never reload them - the memories are much better :p

... the graphics were top-notch at the time and the game-play was original and often times wonderful ... these old PC and console games are what hooked me on video games and i am just glad to be able to play games many [many] years later with incomparably better graphics today .. and occasionally, just occasionally .. i get that same elation of years past when the game is superb.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: techwanabe
Originally posted by: coldmeat
I played Redneck Rampage .....

LOL at Redneck Rampage... probably most sold in Walmart stores.

Remember the Interplay download 'uncensored language pack'.

Most gratuitous profanity in a game?

Or should I say F'in F'in most F'in F'in F'in gratuiG'F'intouF'ins prF'inofaniF'intyFin?

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
I was feeling nostalgic recently and plowed through a couple of old Infocom text-based games. They were more fun than 95% of what I've played in the last 10 years

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
Originally posted by: hopeless
I loaded up SS2 under XP a couple of months ago. I never made it far when it came out and wanted to try out some of the update packs that people have made for it. When I tried to run it even before adding any update packs it gave me a codec error, I believe indeo. I went looking on the net and it just so happens to not be a free download, cost about $15 IIRC. I didn't even bother with it, just uninstalled it and put the cd back in my old games box.

Theres a fix to get around that, don't remember it now obviously but you don't have to pay $15 dollars heh.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Originally posted by: DAPUNISHER
Originally posted by: Oakenfold
X-Wing and Tie Fighter are among my all time favorites. Some of us were commenting not too long ago, how much we'd like to see this series redone. Just sayin DOS gives me the warm fuzzies :) Those really were the days of pure gaming stoke, and flight sim greatness.

Indeed!
Can you imagine Tie Fighter with HDR, Bloom etc?
:D
I'd pre-order, and I rarely do that. :)

Unquestionably. Tie/X-Wing were some of the greatest games ever made.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
Did you get better textures and models for SS2? They are several different groups that have made mods to help update the looks of SS2.
I tried something but it didn't really make much difference. My biggest gripe was the characters looked like they had bird beaks.

If I have time in the future I may try again.

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Homerboy
X-Wing and Tie Fighter are among my all time favorites. Some of us were commenting not too long ago, how much we'd like to see this series redone. Just sayin DOS gives me the warm fuzzies :) Those really were the days of pure gaming stoke, and flight sim greatness.

Indeed!

Why the hell aren't they remaking these masterpieces?

TehBluebear

Dec 5, 2007
Originally posted by: Fingolfin269

I vote for Psychonauts! Even though it wasn't developed by LucasArts, it was done by Tim Schafer. Manages to keep the spirit of the old LucasArts games alive, imo.

Anyway, back on topic, while I wasn't around for all the days of DOS, I have played one or two games using DOSBox, such as The Elder Scrolls: Arena. Damn, that was a hard game to play...

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Originally posted by: bunnyfubbles
Originally posted by: Homerboy

Indeed!

Why the hell aren't they remaking these masterpieces?
Like the classic tootsie pop commercial says, "the world may never know."

It is probably for the best they don't remake them, if it has to have any input or direction from Lucas. He has been butchering everything else he ever did right, so if he had anything to do with the games, they'd doubtless suffer the same ignominious fate as his other properties.

Noema

Platinum Member
Feb 15, 2005
I believe 2D adventure games hold up pretty well. Games like Day of the Tentacle or Sam and Max are still pretty playable and they still look good.

2D ages much better than 3D. Early 3D games (look at any PS1 game for example) look awful at this point.