You Ever Look at Old Games You Played in the Past and Said:

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
Originally posted by: sandorski
F19, Space Quest, Wing Commander, Gunship, Command HQ, Silent Hunter(IIRC)

All great games that deserve a graphics update and re-release.

You do know they've already released Silent Hunter 4, right? :p

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
I get used to bad graphics after a few minutes and have no problems at all replaying old games. Some things like Lemmings (Mac version with 640x480 graphics) still look pretty good to me after playing them a bit. The only thing I can't get used to is bad framerates. :p

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
I can deal with Xwing vs Tie fighter... but I tried to play HL1 again and just couldn't.

bullbert

May 24, 2004
Originally posted by: CP5670
I get used to bad graphics after a few minutes and have no problems at all replaying old games. Some things like Lemmings (Mac version with 640x480 graphics) still look pretty good to me after playing them a bit. The only thing I can't get used to is bad framerates. :p

Also the handheld market is just the last generation tabletop console (two or more generations old now) repackaged with redesigned ASICs with smaller geometries and lower power consumption. Same old dated inferior graphics (on a 4 inch LCD screen instead of a large TV screen). Same old superior gameplay.

Ah, the good ole days. Where a "PC" with a 1 MHz processor and 48 KB of ram showed you the "world". Now you need a 3 GHz processor and 2 GB ram just to watch the same game genre stutter frame.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
Originally posted by: Captante
Originally posted by: Fenixgoon
i think to myself "damn, these games have such shitty graphics, comparatively, yet they are orders of magnitude better. what gives?"

They are orders of magnitude better because in most of them the story was given at least as much attention as the graphics ... a lost art in 90% on todays games which focus on special effects at the expense of a plot that draws you in.

Kinda like today's HollyWood movies. The storyline isnt much but they kill many people and blow up alot of stuff. :laugh:

DaveBC

Mar 18, 2004
Originally posted by: DAPUNISHER
Originally posted by: Oakenfold
X-Wing and Tie Fighter are among my all time favorites. Some of us were commenting not too long ago, how much we'd like to see this series redone. Just sayin DOS gives me the warm fuzzies :) Those really were the days of pure gaming stoke, and flight sim greatness.

Indeed!
Can you imagine Tie Fighter with HDR, Bloom etc?
:D
I'd pre-order, and I rarely do that. :)

How about a BOP (Balance Of Power) coop run on a SSD *drool*

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
I loved the King's Quest and Space Quest games. They were fun enough that I'd even replay them now with their CGA graphics if it was possible to do so. Getting the game timing right is tough since the old games ran everything based on the clock speed of the old 8086 and 286 processors. New graphics with exactly the same gameplay and story lines on both series would probably make a ton of money for Sierra.

kmmatney

Diamond Member
Jun 19, 2000
I loved Ultima 7 and the ultima undeerword series. Someone made a port for it to play in windows XP, and I played it a bit on my laptop while I traveled (since my laptop didn't have the horse power for any modern games). it still played well. I think there is a project to make a modern 3D version of Ultima &, with directX graphics, but I don't think it has gone anywhere yet.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
Originally posted by: QuantumPion
Master of Magic. A couple months ago I had the urge to play it some more and found it online. It works flawlessly in dosbox, and the game is nearly perfect. The main limitation is the poor AI by today's standards, but even modern strategy games like Civ 4 aren't that much better.

Stardock is working on a sequel. They weren't able to get the rights to the name, so I don't know what the title is going to be.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
I find most games (e.g. Quake, Quake 2) hold up pretty well; having said that I?ve recently reconfigured them to use high resolution textures.

What I have an issue with is going back to old games that I never played. The original Jedi Knight and System Shock 2 for example I couldn?t stand when I tried to play them.

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
I go back to all of those games, I beat SS2 and Wizardry 8 sometime last year. I also play games like Dwarf Fortress, Nethack and text based games. You really stand to get a lot more enjoyment out of gaming if you can look past old graphics.

I don't want to call you a graphics whore, but your enjoyment does seem pretty hinged to how the game looks.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
Originally posted by: BFG10K
I find most games (e.g. Quake, Quake 2) hold up pretty well; having said that I?ve recently reconfigured them to use high resolution textures.

What I have an issue with is going back to old games that I never played. The original Jedi Knight and System Shock 2 for example I couldn?t stand when I tried to play them.

Did you get better textures and models for SS2? They are several different groups that have made mods to help update the looks of SS2.

HannibalX

Diamond Member
May 12, 2000
Jedi Knight only ever used 8-bit textures unfortunately. The engine was able to use 16-bit textures but LucasArts didn't want to make the game 3D accelerator required like they did with a few other games round that time that garnered poor sales (Shadows of the Empire for example). When I first bought the game I had a 3D card (S3 Virge bitches!) but it wasn't supported so I ran in software mode. Even after 9 years there is still a huge editing community for JK, and most user creations user 16-bit textures and take advantage of the physics of the Sith engine the original game never did.

The same engine was used for "Indianan Jones and the Infernal Machine" some years later.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
Originally posted by: coldmeat
I played Redneck Rampage a few days ago, just for fun. I used to play it when I was really young at my grandparents' house. The graphics and controls were horrible but it was still fun to play again.

haha that game was bad ass, I remember reading they were working on a full 3d version. I loved that game and the expansion pack. When it came out the graphics were top notch. Best was getting drunk in the game and the controls would get all ass backwards.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
Originally posted by: manimal
I want PONG HD.... maybe a remake of the Journey game for the atari 2600......"Dont stop believin......hold on to that feeeeeeeelin" as you dodge the incoming asteroids, come to think of it, what the hell did that game mean, and what did Journey have to do with a guy continually flying trough the air and dodging asteroids.

Maybe a Pitfall 3rd person rpg

Or an Indiana jones MMO

Perhaps ZAXXON

Edit: Come to think of it, Pitfall would just be another tomb raider sans the big boobs, cant have that now can we:

haha oh wow you brought up the Journey game! I bet every arcade in Jersey had 2 of those units. I never understood the game either but it was pretty bad ass at the time, what with the digitized B&W faces and actual Journey music. I should download the Mame rom just to relive the Journey experience.

this thread makes me wonder, in 10 years will I have to run some super advanced MoSlow like program to keep Crysis from going at a billion fps's on my computer? hehe...

5to1baby1in5

Golden Member
Apr 27, 2001
Every time I fire up Starcraft Broodwar, I say the Mentat Mantra.

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

mrblotto

Golden Member
Jul 7, 2007
Originally posted by: StevenYoo
Originally posted by: Skott
I look back at some of the old games and say, "Wow, thats some old looking graphics". But it wasnt just about graphics. The gameplay was quite addictive and fun. DOS was a love/hate relationship for me. It was some cool stuff but also a pain to work with. Remember trying to get enough high memory allocated to play a game? I loved many of those old games but I dont miss DOS. :laugh:

oh man, i HATED allocating EMM and XMM and all that.

I remember having to use boot disks to run certain games that needed a hell of a lot of expanded memory (or extended? I don't remember)

LOL.......lord, I used 'memmaker' and QEMM so much I could do it in my sleep. I think it was one of the XWING games that required an ungodly amount of EMS (or XMS) to run.
I'd love to see another Descent I and/or II with updated graphics. Dang, what was the bad guys name.....Dravis?

Vampirrella

Golden Member
Apr 5, 2001
I remember failing in high school when I was 15. I bought Ultima IV (in 1985) and stayed up till the wee hours of the night/morning for months. That was my first ever experience with an rpg-type style game and it was amazing to me. That is one game I wish would be remade with current-day graphics.

Rankor

Golden Member
Jul 10, 2000
I liked Wing Commander 3, didn't finish Wing Commander 4. Wish I could find these games.

Aces over the Pacific/Europe, Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe, X-Wing, Tie Fighter were my first games.

I hated editing the autoexec.bat and the config.sys files to free up extended memory. memmaker was trash but there was a third-party "memory optimizer": QEMM was better.

Mechwarrior 2, Mech2 GBL, and Mech2: Mercs were great games. There are others, many others. The only game that I thought wasn't worth being pressed on the media it was on would probably be Tek War.

I loved the uninstall method of old dos games: deleting the directory.

Tenet

Nov 27, 2007
One of the first games I tried to play on my 1st pc (which featured a 66Mhz cpu, 8MB memory, and an STB 1MB Video Card) was Return To Zork. I had played the original Zork years earlier on my Commodore 64 which was a text-only adventure game - no graphics at all. But it was fun.
So now I was excited about being able to "see" the environment instead of imagining it.... Well I never got past the intro - it crashed with an "out of memory" error. :(

So I gave the game back to the friend I borrowed it from and rarely thought of it again. But now that you reminded me, I'm going to buy Return To Zork and finally play it! :)

Scooby Doo

Golden Member
Sep 1, 2006
Originally posted by: Elcs
Originally posted by: Oakenfold
X-Wing and Tie Fighter are among my all time favorites. Some of us were commenting not too long ago, how much we'd like to see this series redone. Just sayin DOS gives me the warm fuzzies :) Those really were the days of pure gaming stoke, and flight sim greatness.

Indeed!
Can you imagine Tie Fighter with HDR, Bloom etc?
:D

Maybe so but can you imagine Freespace 2 or Homeworld with those?

Maybe after SCP 3.7 you'll see those with freespace. Right now it's normal mapping their adding.

Oct 30, 2004
Originally posted by: Vampirrella
I remember failing in high school when I was 15. I bought Ultima IV (in 1985) and stayed up till the wee hours of the night/morning for months. That was my first ever experience with an rpg-type style game and it was amazing to me. That is one game I wish would be remade with current-day graphics.

I think there's a project to remake the older Ultima games for Windows, but they probably wouldn't have modern graphics; they'd just run under Windows.