Article You’ll be able to run Windows 11 on older PCs—if you install the update manually - Ars Technica

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
Well, maybe the people (or at least someone there) running Microsoft aren't truly as dumb and conceited as everybody gives them credit for being.

Of course, after the announcement of the major Azure cloud vulnerability, maybe they thought throwing a few bread crumbs to the unwashed masses would help...

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Good potential news, for those who don't want to use secure boot. I was hoping there would continue to be a workaround.

GrumpyMan

Diamond Member
May 14, 2001
You won't be able to get any Updates however, not clear if you could download those manually and install yet. So how long could you trust your pc with no new updates in this current climate of cyber terrorism? Asking for a friend.

AnitaPeterson

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
"It’s quite possible this is just a cover-your-ass measure on Microsoft’s part. It’s hard to imagine that Microsoft wouldn’t issue critical security patches, when we’ve often seen the company extend support and offer the occasional free patch even after it’s shelved an operating system for good. If I were in Microsoft’s shoes, I might just want to discourage people from thinking I was offering a warranty and technical support for every possible PC configuration under the sun to avoid potential legal headaches down the road. Better to underpromise and overdeliver.

But it’s also possible Microsoft genuinely does mean to withhold patches at some point in the future — potentially even at launch. Microsoft declined to clarify things further at this time, which suggests the company’s perfectly happy for us to assume this is a genuine threat.

It’s not just security updates at stake, by the way: If you’re unwilling or unable to replace your older-than-Intel 8th-Gen-CPU, Windows 11 could theoretically be an operating system where you go back to the days of manually downloading driver updates for all your hardware, something I haven’t needed to think about for years."

Source: https://www.theverge.com/2021/8/28/22646035/microsoft-windows-11-iso-workaround-no-update-guarantee

Oh, imagine the inconvenience... manually updating drivers? Oh... THE HORROR!

Me, I foresee a flourishing market of hacked Windows installations....

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
What it all boils down to is that we are officially back to the schizophrenic Microsoft of the Windows 8 interface debacle yet again, where the right hand doesn't care what the left hand is doing.

In the end, we won't find anything out of substance on this matter until after the code is finalized for release.

I won't believe anything that anyone at Microsoft bleats out on this issue until then. And, until that time actually arrives, I've decided that I'm going to ignore them the same way they historically ignore their end user customers. If they want to keep me as a customer, great. If not, I'll spend this time planning for my eventual abandonment of Windows as my platform of choice. I'd have done it years ago if Linux could get its act together and define a unified desktop environment instead of everyone bickering like spoiled children and insisting on doing their own thing.

Personally, I think it'd be hilarious if Microsoft ended up loosing a large chunk of their paying end user base and OS market share over this.

owensdj

Golden Member
Jul 14, 2000
If Microsoft keeps these ridiculous TPM and processor requirements it's going to cause problems at many organizations that have perfectly good Windows 10 machines that can't get the Windows 11 upgrade.

Microsoft said Windows 10 would be the "last version of Windows" and that Windows 10 would be supported for the "lifetime of the device." Now we know there will be a Windows 11 that many Windows 10 devices are not allowed to run and that Windows 10 won't be supported on those devices in 4 years. Class Action lawsuit maybe?

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
If Microsoft keeps these ridiculous TPM and processor requirements it's going to cause problems at many organizations that have perfectly good Windows 10 machines that can't get the Windows 11 upgrade.

Microsoft said Windows 10 would be the "last version of Windows" and that Windows 10 would be supported for the "lifetime of the device." Now we know there will be a Windows 11 that many Windows 10 devices are not allowed to run and that Windows 10 won't be supported on those devices in 4 years. Class Action lawsuit maybe?
NOT!