Yet Another Steam Thread...18 hours + and STILL not downloaded!!!

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Only one question...is the 265.7MB torrented RAR file linked in another thread the same thing as the 380MB steaminstall_cs file hosted over at fileplanet? Steam can't update SH*T on my box and I have a fairly decent 2mbit+ cable link. I've left it on all evening, all night, all day today and reconnected numerous times.

The Steam software itself is full of bugs (wasn't there a beta to fix these kinds of things?) and I'm losing a lot of respect for Valve. I exit and 10 minutes later notice the steam.exe process is still in use, using 22mb of memory. Update to CS keeps timing out...after the third retry I got a fatal exception call from steam.

Now I'm just trying to get the cache files with HL 1.1.1.2 and CS 1.6 elsewhere...fileplanet blows (unless you got $$$) and this RAR file seems on the small side (how does 380mb already compressed go down further to 265.7mb???)

hdeck

Lifer
Sep 26, 2002
i don't know of anyone that has been able to get 1.6 running without a boat-load of problems

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Antoneo
I don't get it, is steam the only why to play CS 1.6?

In a week, it'll be the only way to play Counter-Strike, TFC, or any of the other online games. Valve's going to pull WON and the rest of the "old" server auth system; Steam will be the only way to play these games.

Antoneo

Diamond Member
May 25, 2001
Originally posted by: ViRGE

In a week, it'll be the only way to play Counter-Strike, TFC, or any of the other online games. Valve's going to pull WON and the rest of the "old" server auth system; Steam will be the only way to play these games.
Whoa, that's a major overhaul. I guess steam will support Halflife 2 as well? Sorry if this is old news, I haven't kept up.

Splork

Oct 9, 1999
Right now I have to say, STEAM blows! I think they should have pushed back the launch if they didn't have it ready.

-sp

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: ViRGE

Whoa, that's a major overhaul. I guess steam will support Halflife 2 as well? Sorry if this is old news, I haven't kept up.

Correct, Steam will support HL2. However, Steam will not be required on HL2 until the user tries to play online, or enable some other Steam-related feature(game updates I imagine), at which point Steam kicks in.

tokamak

Golden Member
Nov 26, 1999
my roommate had the steam beta and said it worked great. steam 1.0 is the worst piece of software ever released. isnt software supposed to improve from beta to release?

Riba

Jul 8, 2003
I cant even do anything with steam, i select Counter Strike then it tells me its going to download the software then it just exits but I can still see it taking up memory.

AzNKiD

Apr 1, 2002
its not only steam that is crappy, but also CS1.6. only valve could get a 5 year old game engine and make a decent comp choppy with a single upgrade. with cs1.5, my decent 1.6ghz northwood and gf4 4200 got CONSTANT 100FPS on any res. now with 1.6, ill be happy to stay above 30fps during a lot of action. GEEZ!!!!!!!! res was 1024x720, and video drop as low as 20's fps from max of around 70fps. :disgust:

cjsketchy

Jan 23, 2002
I haven't had any problems with it at all,
besides the fps drops and the damn shield bug... but no probs downloading cs, getting into servers, etc

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Originally posted by: cjsketchy
I haven't had any problems with it at all,
besides the fps drops and the damn shield bug... but no probs downloading cs, getting into servers, etc

shield bug?

spaceman

Lifer
Dec 4, 2000
they should rename it steam'd
I havent heard this many complaints about a software release since bonzi buddy :Q

tokamak

Golden Member
Nov 26, 1999
Originally posted by: ncircle
they should rename it steam'd
I havent heard this many complaints about a software release since bonzi buddy :Q

LOL, good one ncircle

Hossenfeffer

Diamond Member
Jul 16, 2000
Originally posted by: uncJIGGA
Only one question...is the 265.7MB torrented RAR file linked in another thread the same thing as the 380MB steaminstall_cs file hosted over at fileplanet? Steam can't update SH*T on my box and I have a fairly decent 2mbit+ cable link. I've left it on all evening, all night, all day today and reconnected numerous times.

The Steam software itself is full of bugs (wasn't there a beta to fix these kinds of things?) and I'm losing a lot of respect for Valve. I exit and 10 minutes later notice the steam.exe process is still in use, using 22mb of memory. Update to CS keeps timing out...after the third retry I got a fatal exception call from steam.

Now I'm just trying to get the cache files with HL 1.1.1.2 and CS 1.6 elsewhere...fileplanet blows (unless you got $$$) and this RAR file seems on the small side (how does 380mb already compressed go down further to 265.7mb???)

I got 200kB/sec with a fileplanet link. The only minor setback is that I didn't get to start my download for a half-hour or so. Just get it there.