Yet another reason to game on PC

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Please don't tell me the whole game is that dark.

From what I've seen of it so far (360 version, I played about two hours) it really is dark most of the time, just like in the linked videos. I've never owned the previous one, Red Faction: Guerrilla, but from what my cousin tells me (he's the 360 owner, he bought Armageddon but he also bought Guerrilla last year I think) it's still a much better game anyway (Guerrilla being much better), since most of it happens outdoor and despite the fact that the environment is mostly tinted in red you can actually see where you're going and what's happening.

The thing is that most of Armageddon, if not all of it (at least from what I've played) happens underground, so the actual game's setting/context kind of forces things to be dark, still... they (developers) could have added some more lights around. I for one don't really like the game overall anyway, yes the destruction is pleasing to look at, but there's not much purpose to do it, I mean structures do blow up here and there but I wasn't doing it on purpose, there's no viable (from what I've seen) game-play elements linked to the destructibility of the environments (finding secret passageways, or just finding secret caches or easter eggs, or destroying a bridge to block the way of enemy reinforcements passing on it for instance or things like that, useful game-play aspects, there's nothing like that from what I can remember).

If I had to chose I'd go with Guerrilla even though I myself never played it per se, I saw it on videos, on the web, and just that is enough to convince me that Guerrilla is considerably better overall. But anyway, to me there's only one Red Faction game and it's the original which I own on Steam. That game was superb, a great Paul Verhoeven-styled story to back it up, and a couple of places where destruction of the environment actually meant that you could avoid future enemy encounters or find secret caches containing weapons that would otherwise never be found in the level had you not blow up that passageway. I never completed the sequel, and I do remember not liking it one bit. I still remember when Guerrilla was still under development and I first saw a game-play video, then I noticed it was a third-person game and I was pissed off. I never bought Guerrilla for that very reason, had it been a first-person game I would have bought it (still, I might have not liked it as much as the original anyway).

Last edited:

Scouzer

Lifer
Jun 3, 2001
RF:G was one of my top 10 games of all time, and I won't be picking this up. What a shitty sequel :(

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
From what I've seen of it so far (360 version, I played about two hours) it really is dark most of the time, just like in the linked videos. I've never owned the previous one, Red Faction: Guerrilla, but from what my cousin tells me (he's the 360 owner, he bought Armageddon but he also bought Guerrilla last year I think) it's still a much better game anyway (Guerrilla being much better), since most of it happens outdoor and despite the fact that the environment is mostly tinted in red you can actually see where you're going and what's happening.

The thing is that most of Armageddon, if not all of it (at least from what I've played) happens underground, so the actual game's setting/context kind of forces things to be dark, still... they (developers) could have added some more lights around. I for one don't really like the game overall anyway, yes the destruction is pleasing to look at, but there's not much purpose to do it, I mean structures do blow up here and there but I wasn't doing it on purpose, there's no viable (from what I've seen) game-play elements linked to the destructibility of the environments (finding secret passageways, or just finding secret caches or easter eggs, or destroying a bridge to block the way of enemy reinforcements passing on it for instance or things like that, useful game-play aspects, there's nothing like that from what I can remember).

If I had to chose I'd go with Guerrilla even though I myself never played it per se, I saw it on videos, on the web, and just that is enough to convince me that Guerrilla is considerably better overall. But anyway, to me there's only one Red Faction game and it's the original which I own on Steam. That game was superb, a great Paul Verhoeven-styled story to back it up, and a couple of places where destruction of the environment actually meant that you could avoid future enemy encounters or find secret caches containing weapons that would otherwise never be found in the level had you not blow up that passageway. I never completed the sequel, and I do remember not liking it one bit. I still remember when Guerrilla was still under development and I first saw a game-play video, then I noticed it was a third-person game and I was pissed off. I never bought Guerrilla for that very reason, had it been a first-person game I would have bought it (still, I might have not liked it as much as the original anyway).

I have Guerilla and it is a great game. the lighting is nice and the field vision wide.

I understand Armageddon is underground, but like you, better lighting would help for a more enjoyable experience. It sucks not being able to see what you are shooting at half the time, plus it strains the eyes as you have a tendency to squint.

Dec 28, 2001
Why is this a reason to play PC games? I prefer TPS on consoles, thankyouverymuch. Now, if you've shown me any FPS/RTS/(non-J)RPGs, then yes, I'd wholeheartedly agree.

With this game? Meh.

Raider1284

Aug 17, 2006
Its probably a console port, or the developers are console fan boys, what do you expect?

This game certainly looks like a console port to me. From the video it looks like he have 4 weapons and he can assign them to the different dpad buttons on a console controller. it even brings up a dpad graphic in the game! That, already, screams console port to me.

brblx

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2009
Almost as dumb as people who don't know what a TPS is...

have you heard of this thing called a console? they're for third person shooters because they help compromise the crappy gamepad controls.

third person with a mouse blows, so that pretty much kills this as 'a reason to game on PC'. then add in that it literally looks like an FPS with a guy pasted across half your screen, lacking any nuance to the perspective ala GoW or other modern console 'TPS's.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Really? This is the game you want to show off your PC with?

MMMMMMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

deckrom

May 5, 2011
Games like these are only fun on the hardest difficulty. It creates a sense of danger & conservation I so dig in teh video games.

The guys who made this game ported it to PC in-house, the graphic settings are all present, the mouse buttons map and I can't feel any lag. And yeah I DO show my PC off with this game, it's like one of twenty games that support DX11.

More vids to come!

Mike Gayner

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2007
have you heard of this thing called a console? they're for third person shooters because they help compromise the crappy gamepad controls.

third person with a mouse blows, so that pretty much kills this as 'a reason to game on PC'. then add in that it literally looks like an FPS with a guy pasted across half your screen, lacking any nuance to the perspective ala GoW or other modern console 'TPS's.

LOL nonsense, there's plenty of good TPS games on PC.

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
LOL nonsense, there's plenty of good TPS games on PC.

I don't know about that. There's the Mafia and Hitman games (and Tomb Raider if it can be called a TPS), but those games are well suited to that perspective. This looks like another crappy corridor shooter much like the original, and does not warrant it.

Soundmanred

Lifer
Oct 26, 2006
Awesome game, almost as good as Guerilla, but definitely different. I actually enjoyed it because it was different. Not sure if I'd enjoy another Guerilla style Red Faction.
I never had any problems with the darkness of the levels, there's plenty of light where there needs to be and the darkness adds to the atmosphere. I sure didn't sit here squinting at the TV. :biggrin:
This is one game I'll actually hold on to.
Unlike Duke Nukem.

Mike Gayner

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2007
I don't know about that. There's the Mafia and Hitman games (and Tomb Raider if it can be called a TPS), but those games are well suited to that perspective. This looks like another crappy corridor shooter much like the original, and does not warrant it.

You never played Guerrilla, did you?

Apr 12, 2010
I wish I could record gameplay videos on my computer without lag. :(

First RF was cool. Second was meh. My rig is well outdated so won't be playing Guerrilla or this any time soon...