Yet another pointless debate finished.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
It would work if people actually cared about government, but most people don't, and it would take too much time to read written responses. We end up settling for TV debates where they all spout nonsense and nobody calls them on it. I don't even think people listen to the answers; they just look at the character and listen to the tone of voice.

What's weird is that people can "win" a TV debate just by being relaxed, even if they're completely wrong and straight up lying from beginning to end. I remember watching a canadian debate a few years ago where one party was being attacked by every other party. The guy being attacked was clearly wrong and his answers made no sense, but he kept on saying dumb shit in a calm manner and he never lost his cool. The next day I heard several people say the retard won the debate because he's the only one who can keep a level head. Did nobody listen to his answers?!? He said lowering taxes helps businesses that are struggling, then all of the other people said businesses losing money don't pay any taxes so that argument is nonsense. This shit ruins democracy.

The debates need to be more hard core. The moderator should be a complete . If a person gives a stupid answer, the moderator should say that was a really dumb answer or not an answer.

Back to the radio debates, then. Or, as a sign of the times--the podcasts.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Why not? He can still talk. Just put the candidates behind bulletproof glass.

He's still out in lala land but he seems closer to reality than any of the other candidates. Last election he was the only person who understands that "nation building" and foreign entanglements are likely a major cause of 9/11. The other candidates were blown away by this. "What? Being world police has consequences!?!?!?!"

sad truth. :\

But Romney is up there too, of course. His problem right now is that he has to pander to the inbred hicks that make up the majority to select the republican candidate.

He'll swing right back into being a level-headed and worthy opponent once he wins the nom.

Paul doesn't have to pander to anyone, as his chances of winning the nom are essentially nil. This kind of thing is actually good for politics, in general, I think. It's one of the few chances to actually have at least one candidate out there that you absolutely know is spousing his opinion, and isn't afraid of being wrong, whether such ideas are crazy or not.

at the very least, it helps to foster the conversation into, hopefully, relevant (for election) topics (economy, foreign affairs, vs. abortion, hating on gays, etc.)

Last edited:

airdata

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2010
sad truth. :\ [...] This kind of thing is actually good for politics, in general, I think. It's one of the few chances to actually have at least one candidate out there that you absolutely know is spousing his opinion, and isn't afraid of being wrong, whether such ideas are crazy or not.

at the very least, it helps to foster the conversation into, hopefully, relevant (for election) topics (economy, foreign affairs, vs. abortion, hating on gays, etc.)

I think the upside is that it shows you that politics is all a sham. It shows you that the media is being pupeteered into telling people who they can vote for while casting doubt on one of the only people who is speaking the truth.

I mean, how can anybody claim a scum bag like gingrich is electible?

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
-snip-
He said lowering taxes helps businesses that are struggling, then all of the other people said businesses losing money don't pay any taxes so that argument is nonsense.

The ones arguing that businesses in trouble wouldn't be paying income taxes anyway are idiots.

There's a massive misunderstanding by non-financial types by thinking the profit/loss amount on your tax return equal the cash you received or the amount of cash you lost.

Profit/loss amounts != cash flow.

Many 'expenses' (cash payments) never show up on a tax return or financial statement.

Fern

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Ron Paul's supporters should be pleased. I noticed he's been moved from the outside edge to the center and got more opportunity to talk. No doubt because of his good polling in that state.

I don't watch a lot of debates, but I've noticed something. Ron Paul's supporters have been complaining now for a while that he doesn't get as much to speak as others. What I've noticed is that those who are speaking a lot only get that opportunity because they're being attacked by others. When you're attacked you're allowed the opportunity to respond. RP just hasn't been attacked a whole lot, not altogether a bad thing.

Fern

ShawnD1

Lifer
May 24, 2003
Many 'expenses' (cash payments) never show up on a tax return or financial statement.
If the business is so poorly run that they don't even keep receipts of things purchased, then it's bound to fail anyway. No amount of tax cuts will help people who are that retarded.

Uh oh, my business is failing because I paid my illegal immigrant employees in cash and I can't deduct it on my taxes! We should lower the taxes! Hurpadurp!

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Gotta love all these GOP debates which gives the GOP all kinds of exposure somewhat proving they are all damaged goods even before the primaries start.

The problem is, not a single GOP electorate vote has been cast yet, and many of the early GOP primaries will fail to represent the national mood.

But Rush Limpballs and Fox news are already out in front telling American voters how to think. Funny thing, ole Rush and Fox were equally vocal in 2008, and went over like a lead balloon. Proving once again, the sqeeky wheel may make the most noise, but annoying noise may not be an asset.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Seems, the Newt was kind of condesending toward Bachman. The libral news I watched tonight seemed to try to make it it into a condesending sexist kind of event.

In Newts defense, I would find it not much of a stretch to be condesending towards her.

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
Bachmann owned herself when she said that Keystone would create 20,000 jobs, when Canada said it would only create 4500-6500 temporary jobs.

And what's with almost every nutjob there who seems to can't wait to go to war with Iran?

Did they learn nothing from Iraq?

Personally I think she owned herself after the second time she got criticism from Newt after she attacked him. She said something along the lines of "I am a serious candidate for president!" in a way that basically made it sound like she was just begging people to believe that she actually is. She didn't sound very convincing. More like very desperate.