Yet another lie from BHO...

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Obama Inflates Role(lies) in Creation of Stimulus Package
In Golden, Colo., today, Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., took credit for the stimulus package that passed earlier this year.

"In January, I outlined a plan to help revive our faltering economy," Obama said, "which formed the basis for a bipartisan stimulus package that passed the Congress."

Is that true?

Democrats on Capitol Hill who support Obama say no.

Wanting Obama to win, however, none will say so on the record.

But media accounts from the time make it clear that even though Obama, Sen. Hillary Clinton, D-NY, and Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., all offered legislation to provide stimulus to the economy, congressional leaders looped them and their legislation out of negotiations.

Oh yeah... and he didn't even show up to vote on it. So the question here is why is BHO trying to take credit for this? Why lie about something so easily fact checked?(btw, where it the golden "fact-check" on this one)

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
They both talked of them but I woulnd't say either formed the basis for what was passed. In any case, I'm not sure I"d want to take credit for it at this point.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
The Obama campaign argues that in January 2008, Obama "was the only candidate to propose a fiscal stimulus plan centered on tax rebate checks for the broad majority of Americans. The bipartisan bill that passed less than a month later was centered on rebate checks to the broad middle class along the lines of what Obama proposed."

That is true.

You forgot that part. Oh, and just because they kept them out of the negotiations, his plan was adopted, more or less. In fact, everything he says is true, even if it was never officially recognized as such. Now, you may have a point if somebody else made a similar proposal publicly but it doesn't necessarily negate the fact that he is correct.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: Dari
The Obama campaign argues that in January 2008, Obama "was the only candidate to propose a fiscal stimulus plan centered on tax rebate checks for the broad majority of Americans. The bipartisan bill that passed less than a month later was centered on rebate checks to the broad middle class along the lines of what Obama proposed."

That is true.

You forgot that part. Oh, and just because they kept them out of the negotiations, his plan was adopted, more or less. In fact, everything he says is true, even if it was never officially recognized as such. Now, you may have a point if somebody else made a similar proposal publicly but it doesn't necessarily negate the fact that he is correct.

Uhhh... wrong. He is not correct. His statement is not backed up by the facts. Please try to read the link again.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Originally posted by: CADsortaGUY

That is true.

Uhhh... wrong. He is not correct. His statement is not backed up by the facts. Please try to read the link again.

You try reading it again. Success has a thousand fathers and he is taking credit for the stimulus package rebates. Again, unless you can show somebody else thought of this idea first then it's his to claim. This is no different from Obama saying that he would attack Al Qaeda in Pakistan if the Pakistanis did not act. Then, everyone mocked him, Well, it's happening now and he can claim to that as well.

EDIT: Stop whining and give credit to where it's due.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com

That is true.

You try reading it again. Success has a thousand fathers and he is taking credit for the stimulus package rebates. Again, unless you can show somebody else thought of this idea first then it's his to claim. This is no different from Obama saying that he would attack Al Qaeda in Pakistan if the Pakistanis did not act. Then, everyone mocked him, Well, it's happening now and he can claim to that as well.

But media accounts from the time make it clear that even though Obama, Sen. Hillary Clinton, D-NY, and Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., all offered legislation to provide stimulus to the economy, congressional leaders looped them and their legislation out of negotiations.

So no, his proposal did NOT form "the basis for a bipartisan stimulus package".

Carmen813

Diamond Member
May 18, 2007

That is true.

So no, his proposal did NOT form "the basis for a bipartisan stimulus package".

Uh, yes, it could have. Read what you are saying. Forming the "basis" of something doesn't really mean that what eventually happened had to match your original plan exactly.

brencat

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2007
CAD is right on this one -- and it was all over talk radio yesterday too. Obama has virtually no Senate legislation or accomplishments in his 200-odd days actually working, so he's trying to take partial credit for something. It's a weak resume and this guy could become our next president. Truly amazing.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
What I find funny is the libs on this forum will defend Obama on this and the stimulus package. When we can go back and see all the pissing and moaning when it was Bush who asked for it to be passed.

Pastore

Diamond Member
Feb 9, 2000
But though the bill that eventually passed more closely resembled Obama's than either Clinton's or McCain's, those involved in the drafting of the legislation say it was more a matter of agreeing on a good idea and was not a matter of, as Obama claimed, his proposal having "formed the basis for a bipartisan stimulus package that passed the Congress."

Isn't that the important part here? Maybe it was Obama's idea or maybe it wasn't, the bottom line is that the stimulus package came out looking more like his proposals than anyone else's.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: senseamp
Ah, it was all over talk radio yesterday? Well, that settles it.

Really? That's funny, I read about it this morning and was surprised( or rather not) that it wasn't posted here. The BHO defenders do not surprise me however... it seems they can never admit their guy stepped over the line and/or flat out lied.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002

Really? That's funny, I read about it this morning and was surprised( or rather not) that it wasn't posted here. The BHO defenders do not surprise me however... it seems they can never admit their guy stepped over the line and/or flat out lied.

I guess you won't give him credit for our incursions into Pakistan either, right?

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
Originally posted by: Genx87
What I find funny is the libs on this forum will defend Obama on this and the stimulus package. When we can go back and see all the pissing and moaning when it was Bush who asked for it to be passed.

yeah, more than 37 bills written, co-written, sponsored, or co-sponsored means he was doing nothing at all.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: LegendKiller
Originally posted by: Genx87

yeah, more than 37 bills written, co-written, sponsored, or co-sponsored means he was doing nothing at all.

What exactly does your response have to do with mine? Did I make a claim he was doing nothing in my response or something?

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Arguing with Caddy is like pouring from the empty into the void. He has made up his mind that Obama lied about a claim and that's that. He will be spouting this for the rest of his time on earth.

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001

Wow, you sound like those bleating "Bush lied" idiots who also can't prove Bush lied. At best, you've got some gay little semantics argument going over the word "basis."

NeoV

Diamond Member
Apr 18, 2000
"But though the bill that eventually passed more closely resembled Obama's than either Clinton's or McCain's"

A bit of an exaggeration? Perhaps. A lie? Hard to call it that.

Lets compare that..oh never mind, it's CAD, his mind is already made up.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: NeoV
"But though the bill that eventually passed more closely resembled Obama's than either Clinton's or McCain's"

Seriously. Considering the plan that passed resembled his proposal the most it's pretty difficult to prove it wasn't used as the basis.

**Very misleading title IMO**

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: DealMonkey

Wow, you sound like those bleating "Bush lied" idiots who also can't prove Bush lied. At best, you've got some gay little semantics argument going over the word "basis."

;) The reason for the use of "lie" is more to poke a little fun at the lefties that have been yelling "lie" at McCain.
In all actuality BHO is stretching the truth about his involvement in the stimulus as he didn't have any involvement with the actual bill(let alone vote on it). He proposed a package($75 billion) but so did many other people including Bush($145B). It ended up being close to 200B so none of the proposals were "the basis" - the "basis" was the almost universally accepted(among politicians) notion that we needed to throw money at people.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: Robor
Originally posted by: NeoV

Seriously. Considering the plan that passed resembled his proposal the most it's pretty difficult to prove it wasn't used as the basis.

**Very misleading title IMO**
What is misleading is the notion that what passed "resembled his proposal the most". There were many many proposals and ideas. He was not involved in any way in the stimulus proceedures. His proposal was quite small compared to what eventually passed.