Yet Another Health (s)care thread

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

XZeroII

Lifer
Jun 30, 2001
I agree 100% that a huge problem that we have is waste.

An even bigger problem though is that the current health care bill that just passed will do absolutely nothing to control costs. It's like they ignored the #1 problem with healthcare right now and went ahead and fixed something else. I hate both Repubs and Dems for this. They should all be booted from office and lose all of their benefits.

disappoint

Lifer
Dec 7, 2009
What "news" program were you watching/listening too??

Sounds more like propaganda than real news.

I don't remember but I bet it really was fair and balanced. Especially because they didn't have to keep trying to convince me that it was.:awe:

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
So I saw this on the news the other day where they were comparing Canadian health care to the U.S.

A few figures they threw about were that in Canada:

The billing dept of a hospital had about 50 people in it, whereas the same sized hospital in the U.S. would have about 800-900 people in the billing dept.

Heart surgery would cost $22,000 in Canada but $127,000 in the U.S.

Then they went on to talk about how the CEOs of insurance companies in the U.S. make hundreds of millions a year.

Essentially they were making the argument that the biggest problem in the U.S. healthcare system is waste.

So do you agree or disagree?

How big was this hospital that supposedly had 800-900 people in the billing department? That sounds like pure BS.

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Could be a a hospital system? So like a few dozen/hundred hospitals under some company.

Even then that number sounds overblown. I work for a hospital system that has 4 hospitals here locally and our business office, which is who does the billing for all 4, has 35 employees.

Nationwide the system owns an additional 6 hospitals and from what I've seen the employee count in the business office that handles them is roughly the same.