Yet Another ACORN Fraud Thread

bbdub333

Aug 21, 2007
http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITI...ml?eref=rss_topstories

CROWN POINT, Indiana (CNN) -- More than 2,000 voter registration forms filed in northern Indiana's Lake County by a liberal activist group this week have turned out to be bogus, election officials said Thursday.
An official enters the Las Vegas, Nevada, ACORN office, which is under investigation for alleged voter fraud.

An official enters the Las Vegas, Nevada, ACORN office, which is under investigation for alleged voter fraud.

The group -- the Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now, or ACORN -- already faces allegations of filing fraudulent voter registrations in Nevada and faces investigations in other states.

And in Lake County, home to the long-depressed steel town of Gary, the bipartisan Elections Board has stopped processing a stack of about 5,000 applications delivered just before the October 6 registration deadline after the first 2,100 turned out to be phony.

"All the signatures looked exactly the same," Ruthann Hoagland, a Republican on the board. "Everything on the card filled out looks exactly the same."

The forms included registrations submitted in the names of the dead -- and in one case, the name of a fast-food restaurant, Jimmy Johns. Sally LaSota, a Democrat on the board, called the forms fraudulent and said whoever filed them broke the law. Video Watch how dead people are turning up on voter registration forms »

"ACORN, with its intent, perhaps was good in the beginning, but went awry somewhere," LaSota said.
Don't Miss

* Florida voting issues raise fears of 2000-like debacle
* Early voting begins for McCain and Obama

Over the past four years, a dozen states have investigated complaints of fraudulent registrations filed by ACORN. On Tuesday, Nevada authorities raided an ACORN office in Las Vegas, Nevada, where workers are accused of registering members of the Dallas Cowboys football team. And the group has become the target of Republican attacks on voter fraud, a perennial GOP issue.

A subsidiary of the group was paid $800,000 by Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama's campaign to register voters for the 2008 primaries, and ACORN's political wing endorsed Obama back in February. But Obama's campaign told CNN that it "is committed to protecting the integrity of the voting process," and said it has not worked with ACORN during the general election.

Brian Mellor, an ACORN attorney in Boston, said the group has its own quality-control process and has fired workers in the past -- including workers in Gary. But he said allegations that his organization committed fraud is a government attempt to keep people disenfranchised. Video Watch more about this investigation »

"We believe their purpose is to attack ACORN and suppress votes," Mellor said. "We believe that by attacking ACORN, they are going to discourage people that have registered to vote with ACORN from voting."

CNN was unable to reach ACORN officials in Gary and in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, where the group's Indiana operation is based. Offices in both cities were empty when reporters visited.

Lake County elections officials have set aside all 5,000 of the ACORN-submitted applications in what Hoagland called the "fake pile" for later review. But she said every one will be reviewed before the election to make sure no legitimate voters are skipped.
advertisement

There has been no evidence of voter fraud yet, because voters have yet to go to the polls. But elections officials say they will be sending their information to prosecutors, who will determine whether any investigation will begin.

"We have no idea what the motive behind it is," she said. "It's just overwhelming to us."

While I have no problem with trying to encourage voting, and to try to get as many people possible registered... but when stuff like this keeps happening, I would imagine it would just cause more problems down the road, raising questions of misdoings in close races, etc. I can't imagine any candidate wanting this group supporting them with so many allegations against them.

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
You do know it is only voter fraud if someone shows up and tries to vote using a false registration. Otherwise it is their employees bilking ACORN just to pad their paychecks.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: WHAMPOM
You do know it is only voter fraud if someone shows up and tries to vote using a false registration. Otherwise it is their employees bilking ACORN just to pad their paychecks.

i dont know the finer details of election law. But this democrat seems to disagree with you.

The forms included registrations submitted in the names of the dead -- and in one case, the name of a fast-food restaurant, Jimmy Johns. Sally LaSota, a Democrat on the board, called the forms fraudulent and said whoever filed them broke the law. Video Watch how dead people are turning up on voter registration forms »

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: Genx87

i dont know the finer details of election law. But this democrat seems to disagree with you.

I think the dispute is not whether filing a false voter registration is a crime, but whether that crime is called "voter fraud" or something else. So you could both be right.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
I'd guess this kind of fraud is widespread, and there is very little in the way of verification to prevent fraudulent votes from being cast. Hopefully in the end it is immaterial to the final outcome.

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
I can go out and register every day until election day.

I think election officials still throw out duplicate registration cards.

All this does is pad the registration numbers for ACORN.

or am I wrong?

Corn

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 1999
You are wrong and here's why:

You aren't dead and/or you wouldn't be forging your own signature.

mooseracing

Golden Member
Mar 9, 2006
Wasn't there just an article about Texas having over 4k DEAD people registered to vote and also voted in the primaries?

This crap from ACORN needs to stop.

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
Originally posted by: Corn

ooooooook so that takes care of registering dead people.

but the guy that registered 72 times used the same information for all 72 applications.

considering those are duplicate applications then the duplicates would be thrown out.

That means the man still has one vote only.

And registering dead people is different than said dead people walking out of their grave to cast a vote. Both are illegal Im sure, but it is worth the effort to make these distinctions because the intent, as I see it, is not to get dead people to vote but to pad registration numbers. There is a financial incentive for ACORN and its employees to get as many registration cards fill out as possible. Its not the greatest thing in the world, and ACORN should get nailed on it.

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
Originally posted by: OrByte

or am I wrong?

When someone provides reliable documentation that there's a coordinated effort to get fraudulent votes cast in sufficient numbers to influence the results of elections, I'll be concerned.

Nothing I've read about ACORN indicates to me that the fraudulent registration cards are anything other than scumbag hourly workers acting solo, trying to pad their paychecks. Nothing indicates that there are people being lined up to use these fraudulent registrations to vote multiple times. Nothing I've read indicates that more than half a percent of total registrations collected by ACORN are fraudulent, which amounts to at most a few hundred fake registrations for an entire state, with no actual voters actually using these registrations.

Frankly, I think all this focus on ACORN is just another low-life attempt by the right-wing to suppress minority voting.

MikeyLSU

Platinum Member
Dec 21, 2005
Originally posted by: Corn

ooooooook so that takes care of registering dead people.

but the guy that registered 72 times used the same information for all 72 applications.

considering those are duplicate applications then the duplicates would be thrown out.

That means the man still has one vote only.

And registering dead people is different than said dead people walking out of their grave to cast a vote. Both are illegal Im sure, but it is worth the effort to make these distinctions because the intent, as I see it, is not to get dead people to vote but to pad registration numbers. There is a financial incentive for ACORN and its employees to get as many registration cards fill out as possible. Its not the greatest thing in the world, and ACORN should get nailed on it.

only if they can get through all of the fraud in time. They dont' have forever to weed out this.

I think they need to get rid of this damn organization for voter registration fraud.

the other problem is the stupid law in Ohio that allowed these same people to register and vote at the same time. That is pure voter fraud.

I saw an interview with an ACORN representative that openly admitted to pressuring people to vote for Obama when she brought them to the polls.

MikeyLSU

Platinum Member
Dec 21, 2005
Originally posted by: shira

or am I wrong?

When someone provides reliable documentation that there's a coordinated effort to get fraudulent votes cast in sufficient numbers to influence the results of elections, I'll be concerned.

Nothing I've read about ACORN indicates to me that the fraudulent registration cards are anything other than scumbag hourly workers acting solo, trying to pad their paychecks. Nothing indicates that there are people being lined up to use these fraudulent registrations to vote multiple times. Nothing I've read indicates that more than half a percent of total registrations collected by ACORN are fraudulent, which amounts to at most a few hundred fake registrations for an entire state, with no actual voters actually using these registrations.

Frankly, I think all this focus on ACORN is just another low-life attempt by the right-wing to suppress minority voting.

so some fraud is OK with you? I'm sorry but if ANY orginization promotes voter fraud even once, it is too many.

Did you read the article about ACORN bribing a guy to register 72 times? I don't see how any Dem or Rep would want this orginization to exist unless they are happy with fraud as long as it is for them. And yes, I would want it gone even if it was helping McCain, this country shouldn't stand for it.

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
Originally posted by: MikeyLSU

the other problem is the stupid law in Ohio that allowed these same people to register and vote at the same time. That is pure voter fraud.
Almost all of the ACORN registration fraud I've read about concerns fake registration cards being turned in by ACORN hourly workers. That's not a register-and-vote scenario.

MikeyLSU

Platinum Member
Dec 21, 2005

Almost all of the ACORN registration fraud I've read about concerns fake registration cards being turned in by ACORN hourly workers. That's not a register-and-vote scenario.

first off, fraud is fraud.

Second of all, if there is proof of widespread voter registration fraud, I think it is safe to assume they are doing the same in Ohio which is a state that allows you to vote at the same time.

Even if they weren't, they need to be taken down because of FRAUD. Even if it is only voter registration fraud(which I doubt)

351Cleveland

Golden Member
Apr 14, 2001
I am not worried about the impact on Indiana's election... and here is why:

Voter Identification Law. Muahahahahahahahahaha!!

Go head... register all you want wherever you want... but you better have a photo ID with that address on it or you ARENT VOTING (well technically, if you press the issue, you do a provisional ballot ant they figure it out later).

I am still waiting for the deluge of "well there arent any convictions (even though that is a lie and it has been proven over and over to be a lie), so there isnt a crime here."

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004

Yeah, I'd go through the trouble of registering thousands upon thousands and expect them not to abuse it. :confused:

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Originally posted by: 351Cleveland
I am not worried about the impact on Indiana's election... and here is why:

Voter Identification Law.

That is why Democrats want it killed.

351Cleveland

Golden Member
Apr 14, 2001

Across the country... in a myriad of states. Nope. No concerted effort there to commit voter fraud. Move along. Nothing to see.

351Cleveland

Golden Member
Apr 14, 2001
A subsidiary of the group was paid $800,000 by Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama's campaign to register voters for the 2008 primaries, and ACORN's political wing endorsed Obama back in February. But Obama's campaign told CNN that it "is committed to protecting the integrity of the voting process," and said it has not worked with ACORN during the general election.

Speaking of judgement... ACORN voter fraud accusations and CONVICTIONS date back well before this election cycle. Obama gave ACORN $800m to "register voters?" Are you kididng me? I bet "it wasnt the ACORN that I knew for all those years."

Oh, and then they say they have NO CONTACT with ACORN. Right...

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005

first off, fraud is fraud.

Second of all, if there is proof of widespread voter registration fraud, I think it is safe to assume they are doing the same in Ohio which is a state that allows you to vote at the same time.

Even if they weren't, they need to be taken down because of FRAUD. Even if it is only voter registration fraud(which I doubt)

Again: 99.5% of the ACORN registrations are valid. You want to shut ACORN down (preventing them from registering those 99.5%) because 0.5% are fraudulent.

Sounds to me like there's a hidden agenda here. Couldn't possibly be that those 99.5% will vote overwhelmingly liberal, could it?