Yesterday was George Orwell's 100th birthday.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
George Orwell is known for two books, Animal Farm and 1984. While both are relevent, 1984 is in particular these days. People ought to read them and think on how we are headed towards such a society.

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
Originally posted by: Hayabusarider
George Orwell is known for two books, Animal Farm and 1984. While both are relevent, 1984 is in particular these days. People ought to read them and think on how we are headed towards such a society.

I just re-read 1984 within the last 6 months and have the DVD of the movie.

Fencer128

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001

2 of my "favourite" books :)

Andy

ConclamoLudus

Jan 16, 2003
Originally posted by: Zebo
Why is his movie so famous? I own Citizen cane and am bored stiff watching it. Casablanca is my fav.

Citizen Cane was Orson Welles, not George Orwell.

Animal Farm can be poignant today as well. Ben Kingsley has been reading it over the BBC Radio the past couple of weeks.

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
Those of you who liked 1984 would really like We by Yvgeny Zamyatin. Short, but good read.

konichiwa

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Zebo
Why is his movie so famous? I own Citizen cane and am bored stiff watching it. Casablanca is my fav.

(a) Citizen Kane is Orson Welles, not George Orwell
(b) Citizen Kane is an EXCELLENT movie, how could you be bored stiff watching it? One of the top 5 movies ever made!

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
God, it seems he was just born yeterday.

His essence is alive and well... thank you. The Neurotic States of America... home of the Liberal and the Free Meal... Those cameras on the traffic signals are not just for red light runners... they track your every move.. War is Peace and you want it to be cake...;)

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Zebo: I wish. Never been good with names.
---------------------------
Yeah, I know, you even forgot your first name, Ga.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
Zebo: I wish. Never been good with names.
---------------------------
Yeah, I know, you even forgot your first name, Ga.

Ga Zebo... Moonbeam you're too much.. :D

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
:D It's actually my dogs name. ZEBO BOUDREAUX.. I changed it form radical carbonyl to a radical french name ...no diff.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Damn I wondered how you got 6000 posts and made good sense and I never noticed you before. How'd you change your name. I was thinking of changing mine to Gore1.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Zebo is useta be Carbonguy... no wonder he makes sense to me...

I didn't realize you are who you are now that you are.:)

hagbard

Banned
Nov 30, 2000

USA=Room 101

GB=Airstrip One

BB= Sharon & Comp.

Emmanuel Goldstein= Richard Perle

Alistar7

Lifer
May 13, 2002
look a canuck who took enough time out of being violent and arming terrorists with wmd long enough to post a negative comment about the country whose survival his own depends on.......

exp

Platinum Member
May 9, 2001
Those of you who liked 1984 would really like We by Yvgeny Zamyatin. Short, but good read.
And for those who enjoyed Animal Farm I would recommend Darkness at Noon by Arthur Koestler as a natural follow-up. It is denser fare than Animal Farm (but then again, what isn't?), though still not too difficult by any stretch of the imagination. Certainly most high schoolers should be able to handle it.

Phuz

Diamond Member
Jul 15, 2000
Originally posted by: Alistar7
look a canuck who took enough time out of being violent and arming terrorists with wmd long enough to post a negative comment about the country whose survival his own depends on.......

AHA.

hagbard

Banned
Nov 30, 2000

Lets shut off the oil, natural gas and electricity and see who's survival depends on who.

simonsky

Jun 27, 2003

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
look a canuck who took enough time out of being violent and arming terrorists with wmd long enough to post a
negative comment about the country whose survival his own depends on.......
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by: hagbard
Lets shut off the oil, natural gas and electricity and see who's survival depends on who.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bang!
In your face

But you people are highjacking this thread.

1984 is one of the best books I have read and altough biased, should be required reading in high school everywhere.

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
Originally posted by: hagbard

Yeah, and it won't have any economic impact on Canada since they provide everything for free to the US!

simonsky

Jun 27, 2003
Originally posted by: CanOWorms

Yeah, and it won't have any economic impact on Canada since they provide everything for free to the US!

Well, except for current, of wich we do not have such a great surplus, I believe we could find other markets. Who doesn't need Oil and gas anyway?

But let's all be friends and pretend we live in a pink alternate dimension where cyborg Al Gore took power legally in 2000 and did not proceed to destroy 25 years of american diplomacy.