Yesterday I get 2 letters in the US mail, about 3 months late

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
One was a solicitation for a donation and on the back of the envelope was stenciled please reply by 2/3/23.

The other was my credit card invoice for my Costco Visa credit card for billing period 11/22/22 - 12/21/22, payment due date 01/17/23. Fortunately, that CC is enrolled in auto-pay against a checking account.

Is the USPS really screwed up these days? I'm not in the sticks or anything here in Berkeley, CA.

A few years ago I mailed a IIRC ~$2000 check to my insurance agent and he didn't get it until around a year later and he said it looked like it had been chewed up by a dog. I figure more likely it was caught in a piece of machinery, possibly the mail box... I'd deposited it in a standard USPS blue mail box outside my local library branch.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
yeah my local service is bad, worse even. I frequently get bills and notices late. And checks too. Fuckin annoying,

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Was that Trump's doing, trying to give us a third world postal system? I can't say I've had issues here. Our mail service is pretty good, though I'll occasionally get someone else's mail, and I have to walk it to their house. Probably a non regular carrier those days.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
They don't call it "snail mail" for nothing...

Here, we have actual government postal employees in the post office, but ALL mail is delivered by contract employees who get paid just over minimum wage. You never know whose mail you'll get...or where yours went.

Last edited:

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
It's ok here. It's usually the opposite issue in which the mail is sent but the government says it didn't get it on time when applying to Medicaid/SNAP benefits. Then you're forced to rebut by contacting them. This intentional misconduct basically verifies the person is "real" and those who aren't can be dumped from obligation to give them welfare money.

MD being a Democratic state, is a fine example of how the party presents the face of benevolence while still being bean counters internally, as typical for an institution that is better described as "the first among corporations and companies".

ringtail

Golden Member
Mar 10, 2012
Recently, around here we've been hearing people reporting their mail and parcels have been opened, and contents stolen (Santa Barbara).

Never heard anything like this in my whole life until just past year. Maybe some bad people are employed in the local big mail sorting center?

• Wow
Reactions: Muse
Nov 17, 2019
I signed up for Informed Delivery. It shows me pictures of my mail the night before. Usually pretty accurate, but not always. I had an $1,100 check show up in the mail one day that was not pictured. It was slid inside a news paper ad type thing and I might have missed it if I hadn't decided to see what was on sale.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I signed up for Informed Delivery. It shows me pictures of my mail the night before. Usually pretty accurate, but not always. I had an $1,100 check show up in the mail one day that was not pictured. It was slid inside a news paper ad type thing and I might have missed it if I hadn't decided to see what was on sale.
I too get mail not shown in the Informed Delivery email...but some of the stuff shown doesn't arrive until a couple of days after.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I get informed delivery emails but don't usually look at them because the stuff I'm most concerned with are packages and AFAIK they are never referenced in those emails. I get separate emails about those indicating USPS tracking numbers and the day anticipated for delivery or that the item is out for delivery today. Which reminds me, I got one the other day saying one was supposed to arrive today, Saturday, but I don't have an email saying it's out for delivery today. :rolleyes:

Edit: Aha! Just downloaded my email again... That coming-today email just showed up.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Canada Post here is pretty decent, but every now and then I do get letters that should go to my neighbour. For parcels, there is this one newish courier in town called Intelcom and they are a shit show. Packages get lost, end up at the wrong house on a completely different street, sometimes delayed by a month etc. Though they do take a picture when they deliver it, so that is kind of neat. At least if they get the wrong house you can try to track that down by posting the pic on the local FB page and hope the home owner sees it and is honest.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
I get informed delivery emails but don't usually look at them because the stuff I'm most concerned with are packages and AFAIK they are never referenced in those emails. I get separate emails about those indicating USPS tracking numbers and the day anticipated for delivery or that the item is out for delivery today. Which reminds me, I got one the other day saying one was supposed to arrive today, Saturday, but I don't have an email saying it's out for delivery today. :rolleyes:

Edit: Aha! Just downloaded my email again... That coming-today email just showed up.
I also get informed delivery emails. It also says, "Mail may arrive several days after you receive this notification. Please allow up to a week for delivery before reporting missing mail. " Did that once, except the link expires in less than a week.