Yeah, this looks badass....Fallout 3 Trailer

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006
Originally posted by: KeithTalent
Originally posted by: zagood
For those that didn't see the g4/e3 hands-on...

http://e3.g4tv.com/e32008/vide...ands_On_Fallout_3.html

Check it out at 9 minutes and tell me there isn't any humor in this game.

It looks like they've given you a lot of options...choice between 1st and 3rd person perspectives, play it as full-on FPS or you can queue up strategies from VATS.

Granted, it's not superior in its originality. Looks like a cross between stalker and bioshock

-z

That video makes the game look super easy with the whole VATS thing. Is that something to make it easier for conolse play? Not sure I like it, but it doesn't matter I suppose because I can just choose not to use it.

KT

Yeah I'm thinking the VATS is to dumb the game down for console players who can't aim. The only time I see myself using it would be for tossing grenades or for cinematic effect.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Just watched the demo from the MS conference. Looks like a pretty sweet game.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
If that's really the gameplay, then there is a very special place in the worst part of Hell for anyone involved in the making or distributing of this game.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
I need to go back and play 1 and 2 before I do 3 as I've never played any in the series. However, with what I've heard regarding 1+2 alone, I'm excited for this one. Trailer looks pretty good.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Liet
Fallout fans are going to be sorely disappointed, and likely a little insulted, by Bethesda's Fallout3.

I agree. That game might have been fine on its own with a brand new name and no references to the original. But they've taken a brilliant plot/dialog/thinking franchise and turned it into a Michael Bay twitch game. It's not a true Fallout game just because the hero is wearing a blue and yellow suit. The engine is totally wrong and completely out of the spirit of the REAL Fallout games.

450R

Feb 22, 2005
Originally posted by: Canai
Yeah I'm thinking the VATS is to dumb the game down for console players who can't aim. The only time I see myself using it would be for tossing grenades or for cinematic effect.

Yeah, it's not like a very similar targeting system was present in Fallout 1 and 2. :roll:

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
Originally posted by: 450R

Yeah, it's not like a very similar targeting system was present in Fallout 1 and 2. :roll:

But the real Fallout games were turned based.

hdeck

Lifer
Sep 26, 2002
Originally posted by: Liet
Those of you looking to enjoy a Fallout experience are in for a sore disappointment. Bethesda simply bought the rights and decided to make an Oblivion-with-guns. There are enough small changes to make it a drastic departure fromthe spirit of Fallout: No childkilling, no groinshots, drastically less humor, feral ghouls (wtf?), etc etc.

It's going to be a consolized bastardization of what were great games, and I'd feel dirty supporting Bethesda.

seems like you just registered to bash the game. lol, go enjoy your child-killing games, and i'll have fun playing fallout 3.

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006
Originally posted by: BladeVenom
Originally posted by: 450R

But the real Fallout games were turned based.

And not FPS.

Liet

Golden Member
Jun 9, 2001
Originally posted by: hdeck
seems like you just registered to bash the game. lol, go enjoy your child-killing games, and i'll have fun playing fallout 3.
Yep. Lurked for a while.

I'd do the same if Sony bought the Star Wars rights and released a new Tie Fighter game that was an MMORPG running on the Everquest engine.

Don't suppose you ever played the original Fallouts?

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
From that video I see no similarities to the original outside of gore and the post-nuclear war style, but I have to admit that it did look kind of entertaining.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Originally posted by: Zenoth
Originally posted by: BW86
I saw the e3 preview on g4 today and wasn't really that impressed.

Same for me.

I never played the original, and I only saw a friend playing the second one many years ago but I never played it myself. And to be honest there's two things that turns me off from what I've seen so far which are 1) the animations and 2) the engine being used. The engine is a modified version of GameBryo, which is the one powering the Elder Scrolls III and Oblivion (the one in Oblivion being a modified one used in TESIII). The roots of it can be traced as far back as 2001 with Dark Age of Camelot and The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind (the later being in development during that year before being released in May of 2002). It's a very old engine being revamped many times over and over. My complaints with GameBryo resides in its stability.

I don't know if anyone remembers how much of a mess it was for Oblivion owners during the game's first weeks after its release to run it without a crash, but just typing "Oblivion CTD" on the search bar on Google will tell you many things about it. I don't want to exaggerate anything though, maybe that Bethesda finally came up with a way to stabilize it for Fallout 3, and believe me I wish that it will be the case at its release. But when I first heard that Fallout 3 would use GameBryo I just had a few shudders on my back, with the very recent memories of me trying to run Oblivion with only about five plug-ins without a random CTD while all of my other games never failed and while I could F&H for a week non-stop without a single error of while I could Prime95 for 27 hours without a crash, and so on, and the plug-ins being official ones too...

The actual context of Fallout 3 and its overall look (artistic style, etc) is interesting, yes, but I think that I will just sit back and wait before buying it on release day, browsing the web for a couple of months when I think about it, trying to find discussion forums where I can read if the game is stable after all and that the very first community plug-ins (because we all know there will be, Bethesda being a developer very fond on communities doing their own stuff for their games) run without random issues or crashes. If that's the case after a while then I will honestly go out and buy it, despite having a grip with the animations shown in the recent videos.

Uh, a modified version of the engine that made DAoC and Oblivion?

Yeah they are using Gamebryo. Gamebryo 2.5 to be exact. DAoC used NetImmerse the precursor to Gamebryo. Obvlivion used Gamebryo 1.0 IIRC. NetImmerse goes back to 1998.

Its like you are saying IDTech5 is a revamped version of the QuakeI/II engine. The Gamebyro engine isnt an old engine getting minor upgrades. Its been overhauled several times. As has the tech behind IdTech5.

AsianriceX

Golden Member
Dec 30, 2001
I think the real question is:

Will I be able to run up to someone, steal their bottle caps, then plant a timed bomb on them and run away without anyone noticing?

I had too much time on my hands back then. :)

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Originally posted by: Wreckem
Originally posted by: Zenoth
Originally posted by: BW86
I saw the e3 preview on g4 today and wasn't really that impressed.

Same for me.

I never played the original, and I only saw a friend playing the second one many years ago but I never played it myself. And to be honest there's two things that turns me off from what I've seen so far which are 1) the animations and 2) the engine being used. The engine is a modified version of GameBryo, which is the one powering the Elder Scrolls III and Oblivion (the one in Oblivion being a modified one used in TESIII). The roots of it can be traced as far back as 2001 with Dark Age of Camelot and The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind (the later being in development during that year before being released in May of 2002). It's a very old engine being revamped many times over and over. My complaints with GameBryo resides in its stability.

I don't know if anyone remembers how much of a mess it was for Oblivion owners during the game's first weeks after its release to run it without a crash, but just typing "Oblivion CTD" on the search bar on Google will tell you many things about it. I don't want to exaggerate anything though, maybe that Bethesda finally came up with a way to stabilize it for Fallout 3, and believe me I wish that it will be the case at its release. But when I first heard that Fallout 3 would use GameBryo I just had a few shudders on my back, with the very recent memories of me trying to run Oblivion with only about five plug-ins without a random CTD while all of my other games never failed and while I could F&H for a week non-stop without a single error of while I could Prime95 for 27 hours without a crash, and so on, and the plug-ins being official ones too...

The actual context of Fallout 3 and its overall look (artistic style, etc) is interesting, yes, but I think that I will just sit back and wait before buying it on release day, browsing the web for a couple of months when I think about it, trying to find discussion forums where I can read if the game is stable after all and that the very first community plug-ins (because we all know there will be, Bethesda being a developer very fond on communities doing their own stuff for their games) run without random issues or crashes. If that's the case after a while then I will honestly go out and buy it, despite having a grip with the animations shown in the recent videos.

Uh, a modified version of the engine that made DAoC and Oblivion?

Yeah they are using Gamebryo. Gamebryo 2.5 to be exact. DAoC used NetImmerse the precursor to Gamebryo. Obvlivion used Gamebryo 1.0 IIRC. NetImmerse goes back to 1998.

Its like you are saying IDTech5 is a revamped version of the QuakeI/II engine. The Gamebyro engine isnt an old engine getting minor upgrades. Its been overhauled several times. As has the tech behind IdTech5.

Yes I realize my mistake in saying that it only had revamps, and I apologize. But the main point and I still do mean what I said is that the GameBryo version used in Oblivion isn't very stable when plug-ins, even official ones are used. It often cause instabilities, although apparently not for everyone's machines. But when browsing the official Bethesda forums under their technical support section the letters "CTD" appear quite often and ever since the game was released.

That is why in the end I said and still do honestly wish that the GameBryo version they use for Fallout 3 is more stable than the one in Oblivion, that's it, I didn't try to prove nor mean anything else. I am interested by Fallout 3, but I'll wait and see how the game's actual stability turns out before I do buy it.

Ariste

Jul 5, 2004
Originally posted by: KeithTalent
That trailer sure gave me a Bioshock feel.

Looks pretty great to me, I'll definitely be picking this up.

KT

Exactly the same feeling I got.

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
i was getting all excited when the intro video was playing, thinking, "ah this looks familiar." Then I started getting disappointed when the gameplay footage came on. But I'll hold judgment till the game comes out.

EvilComputer92

Golden Member
Aug 25, 2004
I actually like the real time first person combat and the lack of that is what put me off RPG games until games like Deus Ex came out. I'm fine with third person combat also, but I hate turn based combat in general.

The gameplay looks very much in the style of an RPG like Deus Ex, which I'm sure will put many people off about the gameplay, although others will like it.

zerogear

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2000
yeah, kinda disappointed that its in third person mode.. I loved Fallout 1 and 2 though

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
Being one of the people that played F1 and F2 at their actual original release dates, I've completely written off any sort of expectation that this game will be similar. At one point, I had wished they hadn't even tacked the Fallout name onto their new game but I've given up on that fight as well.

The only thing I remember is the words of one of the Fallout developers, stating how it was painful to see someone else take the reigns on their creation, not knowing whether they'd do it justice or even "get it". And just like it is painful for those devs, it is painful for the fans who loved the first games, not because I don't believe a game can be revamped (metroid primes), I just don't think Bethesda is the type of company that has the vision to pull it off.

But for optimisms sake, this post doubles as a tag so I can watch the video from home.

cirrhosis

Golden Member
Mar 29, 2005
I don't feel too good about this. It looks kind of fail, and is a far more drastic change than I expected.

Ariste

Jul 5, 2004
I think the bottom line is this:

Ex-Fallout 1/2 players are going to be disappointed at the glaring differences between those games and Fallout 3. We Fallout virgins, however, will probably get a solid and enjoyable game.

Liet

Golden Member
Jun 9, 2001
Really? We already know Bethesda is violating the creative legacy of Fallout... I don't have enough faith in them to create core gameplay that's enjoyable or replayable.

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
Originally posted by: zagood
For those that didn't see the g4/e3 hands-on...

http://e3.g4tv.com/e32008/vide...ands_On_Fallout_3.html

Check it out at 9 minutes and tell me there isn't any humor in this game.

It looks like they've given you a lot of options...choice between 1st and 3rd person perspectives, play it as full-on FPS or you can queue up strategies from VATS.

Granted, it's not superior in its originality. Looks like a cross between stalker and bioshock

-z

Wow, G4 sucks.

EDIT: Regarding the game, it look like the fallout environment, but the game doesn't look like fallout. The bodies blowing up through a headshot looks like it'll get old. Hopefully I can turn off the VATS cinematic camera as well.

Again, G4 sucks ass. But maybe its just the hosts on that show.