Yeah, so, apparently at some point in the past, I became an old person.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
If you still have a plastic bin filled with every adapter for every piece of electronics you've ever bought sitting in the back of a closet.....

you're definitely trending old.

I have TWO such plastic bins. And they include an "s-video cable" and at least one composite video cable. Because you never know. I may just decide to use that Sony Trinitron that is sitting in my backyard storage bin again someday.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Are you saying that because it's not a turner?
I'm saying that because it's a spoon. Spatulas (IMO) must be flat! At best, that is a spoonula and there are plenty of foods where it would not work as well as a flat spatula.

Reactions: lxskllr

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
That's not a spatula!

It's Spatula 2.0! It's a mixing spoon with a spatula on the front tip. The lip is a stiff spatula. So if you're pulling brownie batter into a baking pan, you scoop it using the spoon part & then scrape it using the spatula tip. It's one of my most beloved kitchen tools!

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
In order for my "looks" to be gone I would have had to HAVE them in the first place!

;)

1a4e22.jpg
Humblebragging, are we? If you looks weren't the reason you could successfully copulate....then there's only two other general possibilities. You made big dough or you got some serious charisma or both.:p

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
I'm saying that because it's a spoon. Spatulas (IMO) must be flat! At best, that is a spoonula and there are plenty of foods where it would not work as well as a flat spatula.
It just occured to me that I gave specialty spatulas.

Two metal ones for cast iron/misc.
One silicone for Teflon.
One gigantic smashula for smash burgers.

• Haha
Reactions: dank69

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
If you still have a plastic bin filled with every adapter for every piece of electronics you've ever bought sitting in the back of a closet.....

you're definitely trending old.
I have one of those for cables, dug through it for a one that I needed last week.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Saved or simply not bothered to throw out?

And was it broken when you decided to save it?
Rubber bands do break. I used to get them from the newspaper that was delivered to me daily. After I cancelled that paper, I didn't have a regular source of rubber bands. Those did tend to deteriorate and break after a time. Well, maybe some didn't, I wasn't sure. But last January I looked online for a source of rubber bands and came up with this:

Alliance Rubber Company Inc. Antimicrobial Rubber Bands, Size 33, 3-1/2 x 1/8 Inches, Cyan Blue, 1/4 Pound Box

They are the right size and so far I haven't detected any deterioration at all.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
~8mo I put a broken plant pot in the garage. Ceramic, bottom broke out in the winter from freezing. A half hour ago I went out, broke it into quarters, dremeled off the sharp edges, and put the pieces in my terrarium for my lizards' makeshift hides.

Never throw away ANYTHING.
That CAN become a problem. I have lots of stuff that might come in handy. But too much is an issue. Time and again I'm glad I kept something. Right now, I have an issue being that my tankless water heater should be descaled and to do that I'll need the temporary use of two washing machine hoses, the shorties around 5-6 feet long. I had an extra pair of them and put them in front of the house IIRC, so now I need to buy more (but I shouldn't "complain" because I've found plenty of stuff that others have discarded, or sometimes lost). But that's kind of rare for me. I was thinking, why would I need these extras? A use materialized. But I have lots of stuff I will undoubtedly never use. All that stuff is overhead, clutter. But it's speculative. It MAY come in handy.

There's a line in a song that comes to my mind sometimes: "I knew I had to rise above it all or drown in my own shit."

Last edited:

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I have one of those for cables, dug through it for a one that I needed last week.

I went through mine 2 weeks ago...threw out most of it. (Including a pile of old PATA round cables. i remember what a big deal those were for improving air flow back in the days of the ribbon cables. Nowadays...nearly worthless.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Moving across the country helped me pare down my stuff a good bit.
My sister moved from her home of 30 some years to a condo in Maui in August 2020. Had to get rid of lots of stuff. She suggested to me renting a dumpster to get rid of my extra stuff. I figure I should move from my house. Don't know where I'd go but this house is burdensome to me, there's so much to fix, it's 111 years old! Also too many rooms, two floors, I have too much stuff. If figure I have to develop a facility to pare down my lifestyle, make it somehow relatively painless to do so, actually a liberating experience. Also, there's quite a potential for a devastating earthquake here that could render my house unlivable in less than a minute, literally. Moving and selling the house before that happens would be a win.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
My sister moved from her home of 30 some years to a condo in Maui in August 2020. Had to get rid of lots of stuff. She suggested to me renting a dumpster to get rid of my extra stuff. I figure I should move from my house. Don't know where I'd go but this house is burdensome to me, there's so much to fix, it's 111 years old! Also too many rooms, two floors, I have too much stuff. If figure I have to develop a facility to pare down my lifestyle, make it somehow relatively painless to do so, actually a liberating experience. Also, there's quite a potential for a devastating earthquake here that could render my house unlivable in less than a minute, literally. Moving and selling the house before that happens would be a win.
Libraries can accommodate "important" people.

“It was wall to wall shelves with 40 years of memorabilia,” Murray said. “I had no idea who, if anybody, would want that.”

Well, U of T did.

The university's extensive library system houses the archives of well-known Canadians like Leonard Cohen and U of T alumna Margaret Atwood, whose collections reside at the Thomas Fisher Library.

In this case, a friend of Murray's, music journalist Marty Melhuish, had also donated his material to U of T. He put her in touch with Silversides. Murray recalled her initial phone conversation with the head of Media Commons.

“I said to him, ‘If you don’t want this stuff, I’m going to light a match to it,’” Murray said. “I didn’t see his face. But there was almost an audible gasp.”