ybrowser spyware?

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
a classmate is having some probs with her computer, every time she does a seach another IE window opens and uses another search site. ran adaware and spybot and neither got it. looked in the task manager and killed the ybrowser.exe process and it seems to have stopped. weird that neither adaware or spybot got it. anyone know about this?

DannyBoy

Diamond Member
Nov 27, 2002
www.danj.me
do a search for ybrowser.exe and find out what folder the file is in, see if you can view the properties of the file too and see if there is anymore information you can acquire about the file :)

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: DannyBoy
do a search for ybrowser.exe and find out what folder the file is in, see if you can view the properties of the file too and see if there is anymore information you can acquire about the file :)

i did a search and it didn't come up

So

Lifer
Jul 2, 2001
Originally posted by: boggsie
Lavasoft Ad-Ware 6 ... should take care of it.

a classmate is having some probs with her computer, every time she does a seach another IE window opens and uses another search site. ran adaware and spybot and neither got it. looked in the task manager and killed the ybrowser.exe process and it seems to have stopped. weird that neither adaware or spybot got it. anyone know about this?

TheChort

Diamond Member
May 20, 2003
Originally posted by: boggsie
Lavasoft Ad-Ware 6 ... should take care of it.

actually I have a similar problem. Except mine is worse.
Instead of opening in a new window, it just redirects anything i type to this site.
The only way around it is if the website i want is already in my memory. Fortunately yahoo is there, so i just go to yahoo and find any site from there.

BTW, I have Ad-aware6 and Spybot, but neither can pic it up

mdcrab

Platinum Member
Feb 9, 2001
I have been using AdAware for some time, but recently tried Spy Sweeper.
The "Try It" version is on right side of page. After I ran Spy Sweeper, it found a whole lot more spyware & adware that Adaware never found.

It even picked up on Cdilla from last years TurboTax that I did not know was running. Went to TurboTax web site and got a remover that took care of it.

mdcrab