Status
Not open for further replies.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
It's been five long years of hearing her clueless yapping about "personal finance."

She was beyond shallow and unfit for the position. All she ever did was parrot beyond obvious regurgitated cliches. I grew to cringe at the sound of her voice.

From the time, years ago, when she blithely advised people they could save gas on the highway by turning off their a/c and opening all their windows (for aerodynamic reasons, at speed, the opposite is true), she has annoyed and even angered me.

Here my advice for YOU, Michelle: Do some basic research before you open your yap as an expert on your nationally syndicated radio program. You have the title. You are being handsomely remunerated. Just, please, at least use effing Google first. :|

/rant

Mursilis

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001
Originally posted by: Perknose
It's been five long years of hearing her clueless yapping about "personal finance."

She was beyond shallow and unfit for the position. All she ever did was parrot beyond obvious regurgitated cliches. I grew to cringe at the sound of her voice.

From the time, years ago, when she blithely advised people they could save gas on the highway by turning off their a/c and opening all their windows (for aerodynamic reasons, at speed, the opposite is true), she has annoyed and even angered me.

Here my advice for YOU, Michelle: Do some basic research before you open your yap as an expert on your nationally syndicated radio program. You have the title. You are being handsomely remunerated. Just, please, at least use effing Google first. :|

/rant

I sometimes read her work in the Wash. Post, where she's a personal finance columnist. You're basically right - she writes about personal finance at an elementary school level, and I rarely, if ever, learn anything new from her. However, I acknowledge that she fills a need, since many (most?) people are operating at a very basic level when it comes to personal finance (hence, the sub-prime meltdown), and don't think long-term AT ALL. Being black and female, she captures the ears of a niche which might otherwise tune out most financial 'gurus'. You're probably too smart to get much good from her, but others aren't. Someone needs to teach the financial dummies that being overleveraged on credit cards and second mortgages is no way to go through life.

Fear No Evil

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2008
Originally posted by: Mursilis

/rant

I sometimes read her work in the Wash. Post, where she's a personal finance columnist. You're basically right - she writes about personal finance at an elementary school level, and I rarely, if ever, learn anything new from her. However, I acknowledge that she fills a need, since many (most?) people are operating at a very basic level when it comes to personal finance (hence, the sub-prime meltdown), and don't think long-term AT ALL. Being black and female, she captures the ears of a niche which might otherwise tune out most financial 'gurus'. You're probably too smart to get much good from her, but others aren't. Someone needs to teach the financial dummies that being overleveraged on credit cards and second mortgages is no way to go through life.

Maybe we can get Anne Coulter on.. you guys seem to like her.

Budmantom

Lifer
Aug 17, 2002
Originally posted by: Fear No Evil

/rant

She would be the biggest name on NPR.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: Budmantom

/rant

And turn it from the best news source to the worst one in one fell sweep.

She would be the biggest name on NPR.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
:laugh: @ "Best news source".

I've listened to her a few times, she's basically operating at idiot level. There's a big segment of the population that needs idot level guidance though.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: PokerGuy
:laugh: @ "Best news source".

I've listened to her a few times, she's basically operating at idiot level. There's a big segment of the population that needs idot level guidance though.

Yep, but that would be on right winged hate radio, not NPR.

Sadly, I can't rejoice in this person's leaving because I never knew she came. I learned a long time ago that people love money and one of the best ways to make some is to advise people on how to get more. One of my favorite pieces of such advise came in a letter asking me to send a dollar to learn how. I sent the dollar and got back the advise to send others a letter asking for a dollar to learn of this technique. Since that time I watch or listen to economic advise programs for their comic value.

As the Zen master said to himself as he watch his hut being robbed of his bowl by thieves, "Too bad I can't give them this moon."

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000

/rant

Unfortunately, NPR listeners tend to *think* about what's being discussed, so real life version of Team America: World Police satirized wouldn't quite work.

If your job revolves around saying incoherent, inflammatory things that don't actually make sense ("solution to Muslim extremism is to convert them to Christianity"), your probably not a good fit for NPR. Alas, you have career potential at Faux News.

That being said, NPR needs to drop Democracy Now. That show is garbage on par with the Hannity Talk Show.

Auryg

Platinum Member
Dec 28, 2003
Oh thank god, I listened in on one of her segments once and I was amazed at how bad it was.

Status
Not open for further replies.