Yay Hellgate London beta!

Page 12 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: pontifex
thats part of the problem though. i don't want to put points into really any of the beginning skills. they all seem to suck. even the later skills don't look all that appealing.

then try another class :p
-what do you want? ... my engineer has several drones working simultaneously and it is very effective against mobs
:confused:

i see that each class has "recall" .. the ability to travel back to a Station ...
where is it?

More than just 'occasionally' my Char gets "stuck" and cannot move
-usually after clearing an entire area in-sight of the goal :|
:roll:

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Originally posted by: apoppin
thats part of the problem though. i don't want to put points into really any of the beginning skills. they all seem to suck. even the later skills don't look all that appealing.

-what do you want? ... my engineer has several drones working simultaneously and it is very effective against mobs

i see that each class has "recall" .. the ability to travel back to a Station ...
where is it?

Recall is part of the skills. Middle, bottom, just above the skills toolbar.

/unstuck is your unsticking friend.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Elcs

where is it?

Recall is part of the skills. Middle, bottom, just above the skills toolbar.

/unstuck is your unsticking friend.

- well ... i DID get a lot of extra "practice"
:D

since you helped me there ...

******SPOILER ALERT**********

How the Hell do i use the bracer on Lord Cheesis?
- the first time i got a message but by then i was too late and he was dead ... the second time *nothing* [even after "abandon" and reaccept the Quest]

AND the story goes at least a couple of ways ... As Blademaster SerSing asked me to find her BF ... as Engineer, i meet her BF first and have to deliver the letter to her
:Q

not bad :p

Hellgate:London is the Best game i have played in the last year
-so far, the best fifty hours --including much [most] of Oblivion.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Does anyone playing marksman actually use the tactical stance? it seems worthless because you need to be constantly moving to dodge projectiles and to keep out of reach of the enemy.

the grenade sucks because it bounes like a mile away!

and the bosses! omg! they are insanely tough to kill! I just found dr. fawkes in hell and that battle was crazy...you get this huge demon thing and then another comes after you right after that and they both have like 500000000000 hit points, not to mention the regular enemies that are kinda tough to kill mixed in!

and here i'm doing like 5-8 damage per shot...when the heck do you get weapons that actually do damage?

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Does anyone playing marksman actually use the tactical stance? it seems worthless because you need to be constantly moving to dodge projectiles and to keep out of reach of the enemy.

and the bosses! omg! they are insanely tough to kill! I just found dr. fawkes in hell and that battle was crazy...you get this huge demon thing and then another comes after you right after that and they both have like 500000000000 hit points, not to mention the regular enemies that are kinda tough to kill mixed in!

and here i'm doing like 5-8 damage per shot...when the heck do you get weapons that actually do damage?

See my post a few above this one. I use tactical stance all the time with my Marksman. It greatly increases the range and if you switch to your sniper rifle while using it you can end up killing a lot of things in one shot before they even know you are there. It's an awesome skill for the Marksman IMO.

Have you been modding and upgrading your weapon at the nano forge? If you breakdown all of the loot you can't use, you should have enough materials to upgrade all of your weapons a few times at least. Also, make sure you use the mods (battery, tech, ammo, etc.) as I find they greatly increase certain attributes and/or damage types.

KT

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: KeithTalent

See my post a few above this one. I use tactical stance all the time with my Marksman. It greatly increases the range and if you switch to your sniper rifle while using it you can end up killing a lot of things in one shot before they even know you are there. It's an awesome skill for the Marksman IMO.

Have you been modding and upgrading your weapon at the nano forge? If you breakdown all of the loot you can't use, you should have enough materials to upgrade all of your weapons a few times at least. Also, make sure you use the mods (battery, tech, ammo, etc.) as I find they greatly increase certain attributes and/or damage types.

KT

well, i don't have the sniper thing yet but i keep getting wailed on if i just sit in tactical stance.

i haven't modded anything yet. took awhile to get enough parts to do anything.

my interested in the game raised a few notches for a bit but now its really waning.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com

well i am playing the Engineer and his tactical stance is useless - *except* when you can get all your enemies in a crowded doorway -- then they are sitting ducks-in-a-row - just make sure you have everything you quickly use in 1-0 and note which things you need to ALTERNATE with while other things are charging.

you get your weapons by picking one that you like [i like dual pistols - 1 is a machine gun and the other is a rocket launcher - devastating firepower backed up by my biggest rifle which i modified into a drone and keep upgrading and armoring] and using the nano and aug machines to keep them updated. Pick one with a LOT of mods possible. Keep removing low-level mods and reinserting high-level ones.

MaximusRex is Level 17 and having a rather easy time - except i got hit three times-in-a-row with the memory bug just as i got to temple station and had to start all over ... three times :|
[the last time i disabled antiVirus and firewall]

It is a RPG-type game and *everything* needs PLANNED upgrading ... haphazardly muddling through like a FPS will NOT work in this game ... and make sure you do ALL the SQs to get the highest level possible. Your "Skills" are suggested by what you are currently weak in.
--There is much more depth then i expected ... but then i didn't expect anything
:D

EDIT: don't Sell ANYTHING ... unless you are desperate for silver ... just keep breaking your gear down as you get it; you will get lots of rebuild parts ... and use all the upgrades at your disposal including the NPCs that create parts and mods for you.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
I think I mucked my level 16 engineer. Ive went out for Rocket Bot and I probably wanted Bomber Bot. I could do both but I am really interested in using Haste Bot.

Decisions Decisions. But I must have maybe 10-12 hours played and level 16.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Elcs
I think I mucked my level 16 engineer. Ive went out for Rocket Bot and I probably wanted Bomber Bot. I could do both but I am really interested in using Haste Bot.

Decisions Decisions. But I must have maybe 10-12 hours played and level 16.

i keep screwing up ... but we just keep plodding on ... 'rocket bot' with the 5 rockets is OK ... plenty of damage if a little slow
--i wonder how long i played?
:clock:

i kept hoping Windows would run of memory ... but NO! .. not this time
[five hour session]
rose.gif

*i* ran out of memory at 4am - Level 20 Engineer {and just got the Exo's:heart:}
-thank goodness we set the clocks back to 3AM :eek:

addicting :p

:moon:g'nite
. . . . . . . :sun:

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
I upgraded my weapons in that augmentor thing. expensive. at lvl 7 money is hard to come by. the mods i have are kind of useless for me. they don't seem to do much.

I did find a blue rifle that shoots electrical bullets or something. the damage is only 6-6 but it really hurts the enemies.

as a marksman, my guns seem to use battery, magazine, rocket, or fuel tank mods.

will i ever be able to use relic or tech mods or are the relic mods limited to maybe cabalist or templar classes?

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
I upgraded my weapons in that augmentor thing. expensive. at lvl 7 money is hard to come by. the mods i have are kind of useless for me. they don't seem to do much.

I did find a blue rifle that shoots electrical bullets or something. the damage is only 6-6 but it really hurts the enemies.

as a marksman, my guns seem to use battery, magazine, rocket, or fuel tank mods.

will i ever be able to use relic or tech mods or are the relic mods limited to maybe cabalist or templar classes?

i use the relic mods [occasionally] as an Engineer .. so .. probably

find the weapon you like and upgrade it ... add better then 'common properties' if you can afford it. And use the nano machine - it keeps your weapon "updated". Find a secondary weapon for the Spectrals too. You are a long distance fighter ... the "stance" is for when they get close

i played it till 4AM and finished Act 3 ... thank goodness for the extra hour of sleep ... i started playing again at 7am

Wtf?

:laugh:

---it is like a completely different game playing as Engineer compared to Blademaster; the Drones are upgradeable and are awesome "companions"
.. i am loving the higher levels
-- You think you got mobbed before? Keep playing!
:evil:

hooflung

Golden Member
Dec 31, 2004
I got my copy that I p reordered Friday. Been addicted to it in my free time. Way better than Beta, all the little niggles I had with it have been ironed out with content. I do think they have a long way to go with optimization though. The MP is pretty good and the music is pretty spot on. Couple friends have it and the later content is very fun. Retail >>> Beta. I am a marksman atm.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Uh Oh!! Found a pretty major bug.

I started to play an engineer again and when I break down an item and get money from it, it resets my money total to the amount the break down gives me.

Example: I have 1000 Palladium. I break down a gun that gives me 345 palladium. instead of having 1345 palladium, i now have 345...

very bad!!!

I quit the game but haven't gone back in to see if that fixes it or not.

I reported it in the HGL bug forum.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com

I started to play an engineer again and when I break down an item and get money from it, it resets my money total to the amount the break down gives me.

Example: I have 1000 Palladium. I break down a gun that gives me 345 palladium. instead of having 1345 palladium, i now have 345...

very bad!!!

i think it keeps the correct tally but reports it wrong in the first total ... and you don't get ANY Palladium for breaking down Weapons or gear ... just reusable tech and other "parts" :p

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000

very bad!!!

i think it keeps the correct tally but reports it wrong in the first total ... and you don't get ANY Palladium for breaking down Weapons or gear ... just reusable tech and other "parts" :p

then something is up, because I'm getting like 1 palladium for crappy gear, no items. most gear gives me parts, but when i experienced the bug, it was giving me money and resetting my palladium total. i thought I read that you should break down eveything because it will give you either parts and/or money?

restarting the game did fix it though, btw.

randay

Lifer
May 30, 2006

very bad!!!

then something is up, because I'm getting like 1 palladium for crappy gear, no items. most gear gives me parts, but when i experienced the bug, it was giving me money and resetting my palladium total. i thought I read that you should break down eveything because it will give you either parts and/or money?

restarting the game did fix it though, btw.

they say breaking down low level items gives palladium

PresidentThomasJefferson

Aug 1, 2007
Originally posted by: KeithTalent

KT

well, i don't have the sniper thing yet but i keep getting wailed on if i just sit in tactical stance.

i haven't modded anything yet. took awhile to get enough parts to do anything.

my interested in the game raised a few notches for a bit but now its really waning.

It's more fun when u feel like your char is improving/rocking. Here's some tips/strategies to make your char a killing machine:

1) Use the F1, F2, F3 keys to setup weapons for specific situations.
F1 for me is mapped to long range weapons
F2 is mapped to short-range weapons(which have fast rate of fire & splash damage) -like rocket pistols/grenade pistols dual wielded for a marksman
F3 is mapped to dualwieled shield penetrating weapons or anti-boss weapons(ignite will get rid of 5% of max health per sec for 5 secs)

Use F1 to soften up/snipe long-range enemies(sniper or rocket/grenade launcher rifles), press F2 as they close-in or pop-up/swarm you.. with rocket pistols, u should have no problems mowing them down when they close

Map RapidFire to mouse button 5, right-mouse button or middle-button (use RapidFire as a 'panic' or 'swarmed' button when enemies are in your face)

Map Tactical Stance to some mouse button (like middle-button) so u can pop-in & out of it pretty quick easily

Map the Illuminate/Targeting ability to another mouse-button so u can target mobs quickly (a 45% bonus to damge is huge & will let u mow them down twice as fast --it's a must-have skill & makes a HUGE difference

Map the z,x,c,e keys to health/power packs & some specials that u use often

--
If u need extra edge/tactics for enemies, remember that:
Undead are resistant to toxic/poison weapons but weaker to fire
Demons are resistant to fire

So if u're having a hard time bringing down that demon boss, switch to a non-fire weapon

Most bosses & demons have huge shields so make sure u mod or buy/find a weapon that has shield penetrators (I use dual-weiled focus weapons that have +52% shield penetrators & +48% shield penet for a total of +100% shield pentration! ALL my spells & weapon damage bypassed their shields & dropped them quickly)

CHECK THE CRAFTER & MERCHANT AT EVERY OPPORTUNITY to see if they have useful weapons or SHIELD PENETRATION mods or +12-20% damage mods -just teleport to a different station to reset/spawn new items to craft/for sale (they change on their own every 10-15 mins but u can just travel to a new zone to reset) ..tha'ts how I was able to get 8 modes of +12-18% damage, +30% shield penetrat,etc .. u can even use basic common mods +5% to damage, range, ignite, etc until u find something better (only a few hundred to remove mods when upgrading)

Use the augmentator as LAST RESORT --at 4,000+ for a rare aug for a lvl 10 item, it's far too expensive unless u have money to burn ..must cheaper to keep reseting the crafter/merchant until u get a good weapon

Charing Cross, Temple Station, Oxford Circus, Temple Base & the higher level stations have good crafter/merchants that spawn better weapons

Weapons to look for:
For dual-wielded items, 3-4+ mods
For 2-handed items, 5-8 mods

Also, Luck helps u find better loot (game rolls as loot drops) & find secret passageways/portals to treasure-rich areas (it rolls as u zone..in parties, it will add up all the luck in the party so wear your highest luck items when u zone.. if u want your luck highest, keep wearing them as u kill mobs/break crates as the loot drops as well as when your about to complete the mini-game(with high luck, good loot immediately spawns around u when u complete the min-game) ..with my +280 luck (rare mods or armor that add +30-61 luck per item/mod), I find lots of rare/enhanced items

Avoid selilng to merchant.. much more valuable as scrap for building new items (I made most of my mods & luck items from crafters)

Some game guides:

http://www.gamespot.com/features/6182055/p-6.html

Those that add Shield Penetrator & skills u want (Demonspine is great to stun enemies, Ignite is great for bosses(as long as u use a fire weapon/skill w/ignite)