YAWT(Yet Another Workout Thread): Arms

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SagaLore

Elite Member
Dec 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Deeko
Originally posted by: KokomoGST
Originally posted by: Deeko
Originally posted by: KokomoGST

Is 21's any different than say....3-4 sets of 7-9 normal repetitions workout?
Yes. 21's will kill your arms.

In a good way, or a bad way?

jcwagers

Golden Member
Dec 25, 2000
Let's just say.....with a reasonable weight.....you WILL feel the burn. :)

Spamela

Diamond Member
Oct 30, 2000
Originally posted by: jcwagers
Hello everybody. I've been trying to work out some from time to time here at home. I have a workout question in regards to arm size. I weigh anywhere between 170-180 lbs and I'm 5'10-5'11. My question is this.....how big can I expect to get my arms? I know I'm not going to be Arnold or any of those kinda guys. I'm just kinda curious. I know that I see guys from time to time and some of them have rather large arms. This is gonna sound vain but I measured my arms the other day just to see. I'm left-handed so I measured my left arm. After working out some......it measured between 16 and 16 1/2 inches. I don't want to brag at all....as I know this is NOT big. I'm just wondering if some of you who workout ever measure your arms.....and if so, would you have any kind of target size that I could expect to shoot for? I'm not really interested in gaining a bunch of weight(as that would be difficult to maintain fitness if I was to stop working out and such). This is a stupid thread......but I'm just curious as to whether or not anybody has any input on this. (Oh, and feel free to let me know that this is a stupid thread......I don't mind neffing. :) ) Thanks in advance!

jc

Edit: Earlier, when I said my arms were around 16 inches....that was flexing. :disgust:

your arm size is limited by genetics & body weight. you'll have no trouble finding "experts" to tell you how to make them bigger.

i don't measure my arms, nor do i do anything in particular to make them larger. see my sig for the type of lifting i do.

there's a page devoted to workout/tuna stuff here.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
Your arms are limited by the size of your wrists, or so I've heard. I'm actually starting to believe it, since I've encountered numerous injuries on my wrists when trying to curl 115-125 lbs sets... I recall seeing a mass calculator, where u type in the size of your wrists and it will give you an estimate of how big your biceps can get... Not sure how accurate this is.

BTW, if you want to get BIG, I would suggest digesting all your info from HERE. Live the lifestyle, and you will not regret it... Since following this program, I've increased my max bench from around 275 to 330... and I'm probably pound for pound one of the strongest guys at the gym now :)

With regards to supplementation, I would strongly advise taking AST's VP2 Whey Isolate... the best deal I've found is here: http://www.1nutrition.com/ If you order from AST directly it's about $11 more... I'm also on the EAS Simply Whey for now, I usually take 4 protein shakes a day and eat 2 cans of tuna and 2 egg whites. You may think that this is alot, but it's really about 1g/1lb bodyweight and many bodybuilders recommend you get 1.5g/1lbs if you REALLY want to pack on mass....

For your arms, try some of these exercises. Your biggest mass builder will be barbell curls... I will do barbell curls, hammers, and dumbbell curls in my routine... I used to do the EZ barbell curls, but it put too much stress on my wrists so be careful. Barbell curls also put alot of stress on your wrists/elbows when u start getting into the really heavy weights, so take good care of them by icing them after any workout where u feel any pain.

~Rob

SagaLore

Elite Member
Dec 18, 2001
Originally posted by: SP33Demon
Your arms are limited by the size of your wrists, or so I've heard. I'm actually starting to believe it, since I've encountered numerous injuries on my wrists when trying to curl 115-125 lbs sets... I recall seeing a mass calculator, where u type in the size of your wrists and it will give you an estimate of how big your biceps can get... Not sure how accurate this is.

BTW, if you want to get BIG, I would suggest digesting all your info from HERE. Live the lifestyle, and you will not regret it... Since following this program, I've increased my max bench from around 275 to 330... and I'm probably pound for pound one of the strongest guys at the gym now :)

With regards to supplementation, I would strongly advise taking AST's VP2 Whey Isolate... the best deal I've found is here: http://www.1nutrition.com/ If you order from AST directly it's about $11 more... I'm also on the EAS Simply Whey for now, I usually take 4 protein shakes a day and eat 2 cans of tuna and 2 egg whites. You may think that this is alot, but it's really about 1g/1lb bodyweight and many bodybuilders recommend you get 1.5g/1lbs if you REALLY want to pack on mass....

For your arms, try some of these exercises. Your biggest mass builder will be barbell curls... I will do barbell curls, hammers, and dumbbell curls in my routine... I used to do the EZ barbell curls, but it put too much stress on my wrists so be careful. Barbell curls also put alot of stress on your wrists/elbows when u start getting into the really heavy weights, so take good care of them by icing them after any workout where u feel any pain.

~Rob

275! I can barely lift 130 lbs now. :(

Well why don't you wear those wrist supports, kind of like they have for bowling. It would make sense something would be available for the wrists considering there are back support belts...