YATT: tipping dilemma. serious thread

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
This. You've been going for 5 years= he's been doing a good job for 5 years. That tip would make his day.

Else, if you need to, just give him the same tip for the same job you've always given him. The coupon is irrelevant to this. Or, round it up to $15 total.

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004
My hair's thick and very straight. Only a master barber of Asian descent can cut my hair well. And I tip him well.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Tip should be based on the original price.

I pay $20 for a haircut and tip her $5. I double it at Christmas time.

Emos

Golden Member
Oct 27, 2000
This is where percentage based tipping falls apart. Either he did a $7 job, or he didn't. It was worth $7 last month, why not this month? Why not give him an extra dollar since you got free money, and that makes it 2 bills; easy.

I give better tips at Dennys percentage wise than I do at good restaurants. They're still there busting their asses, so I tip what I think it's worth, or at least somewhere close.

Yeah this is the thing about percentage tipping that I disagree with too, the server who brings you a $10 lunch is busting their hump as hard as someone who brings you a $30 dinner. I think that the people who work in "budget" restaurants work harder typically then "upscale" locations but get paid less.