fuzzybabybunny

Moderator<br>Digital & Video Cameras
Jan 2, 2006
http://fuzzybabybunny.smugmug....photos/197708432-O.jpg

Applying for a job in Supply Chain Management. So procurement, logistics, or operations.

1. Should I list semi-fluency in Chinese under Education or Skills?

2. I was told to use past tense. Under Work Experience I say "Working on a complete..." Is this ok?

3. I was told to quantify things. Under Photography and "Provided numerous unpaid and paid..." should I try to quantify the jobs that I've done? It's hard because they're all so categorically different.

4. Under Online Retail Business in "Communicated with regional company representatives of products..." Should the "of" be "about"? And I only really communicated with one company executive...

5. Under skills, I'm very rusty in Java, and only took an entry level Java class, meaning I don't know much. Should I even add in Java?

6. Can you use "I" or "My"? ex. Worked on my personal photography website.

7. Should I classify my smugmug photography website as "fine art"?

8. Any other thoughts?

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
HTF did you average over 1500 photos a day? You just line up a camera and let it run?

That's more than one per minute for all 24 hours in a day.

fuzzybabybunny

Jan 2, 2006
Originally posted by: alkemyst
HTF did you average over 1500 photos a day? You just line up a camera and let it run?

That's more than one per minute for all 24 hours in a day.

It happens. A minute is a long time. Sometimes you take like 10 pictures a minute and even more if you're shooting fast action like acrobatics (the day we went to an acrobatics show I shot maybe 2,300 pictures).

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
a min is exactly 60 secs, but it's like I was thinking you were blasting shots on continuous.

Sukhoi

Elite Member
Dec 5, 1999
Put when the Dean's list was.

The date structure you use is weird. I have never seen 03, 2007 or anything written like that before. And put "present" rather than leaving a blank. So have Mar 2007 - Present not 03, 2007 - .

Present tense is ok if you are still doing the stuff.

Work experience section is too wordy. Use more bullets and sub-bullets. Less complete sentences.

Maybe take out specific profits of your business and use percentages.

Make your font a little larger if you have room. Remember blind old people read resumes.

Overall not too bad. It's not a cluttered mess like most people's resumes.

fuzzybabybunny

Jan 2, 2006
Originally posted by: Sukhoi
Put when the Dean's list was.

Done

The date structure you use is weird. I have never seen 03, 2007 or anything written like that before. And put "present" rather than leaving a blank. So have Mar 2007 - Present not 03, 2007 - .

I use this software called Optimal Resume that my school recommends. The date structure is how they write it. How is it usually?

Present tense is ok if you are still doing the stuff.

Work experience section is too wordy. Use more bullets and sub-bullets. Less complete sentences.

Bunny try.

Maybe take out specific profits of your business and use percentages.

That's going to be like one percentage - net profit of 10% Gross sales as a percentage doesn't make too much sense. :p

Make your font a little larger if you have room. Remember blind old people read resumes.

It's actually larger in real life.

Overall not too bad. It's not a cluttered mess like most people's resumes.

DaWhim

Lifer
Feb 3, 2003
can you really call yourself "semi-fluent" in chinese? and what chinese? cantonese? mandarin? can you even read and write?

Sphexi

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2005
Somehow I don't think that selling stuff on ebay can be considered job experience. Maybe you can put it into hobbies, or under skills with a "Sales" heading, but job experience is really stretching it. That might come back to hurt you if they see that and think you're just trying to make stuff up because you lack experience.

The photography thing is kind of weak too, unless you're able to back it up with dates/times of the various functions you were paid for, complete with a portfolio of the pictures from these functions. Then it'd be worth looking at by a potential employer.

Otherwise it's laid out nicely, might just want to expand more on the most recent job and less on the ones that aren't quite real jobs.

AlgaeEater

May 9, 2006
To be honest this looks like a good clean text resume, but it's not something that looks like an attention getting resume.

You need to add a little life to your resume, while avoiding clutter. This looks like a resume you would e-mail rather than hand in person.

Work experience should not have empty fields on dates. Close out your dates like "September 07 - December 07".

Work experience also should be in reverse chronological order, with the most emphasis on your recent job. You can be vague on job descriptions for previous or older jobs, enough so that your recruiter can ask about them, but not overlook them.

Where the heck is your objective? That needs to go on top of the page and customized, so your resume doesn't look like a mass produced copy you're spamming out.

Memberships and activities should be merged.

You need to emphasize your skills more and be a little bit more descriptive. Skills is as important as job experience, sometimes more important.

Good luck :thumbsup:

Sukhoi

Elite Member
Dec 5, 1999
Date can be anything from 09/2007 - 10/2007 to September 2007 to October 2007. I've just never seen a comma used to link the month and year like that. Use a slash or type it out as words.

Wow yea somehow I didn't notice the lack of the objective section. You need one. :) It should be the first thing under your contact info.

I think I would still leave your eBay stuff under work experience, though it would somewhat fit under activities too.

By the percentages thing I just mean it's kinda weird to be basically saying "I made $900 in almost a year!!oneone". ;) Just say you managed a 10% net profit maybe.

In Professional Memberships you might want to break it out into 3 lines so you don't have 2 things on 1 line and 1 on the other line.

And yeah for your photography just say you have a portfolio; don't link to a website unless you are applying to a photography job.

Also agreed that you need to add some sort of spice to it.

randay

Lifer
May 30, 2006
- led a crack team of the worlds greatest scientists, our goal was to find a cure for a particularly virulent biological agent. details are classified, but needless to say, the human race continues on.

- can bench press 568 lbs.

- gold olympic medalist.

- can hold breath for 6 minutes, 39 seconds.

you need soemthing like that in there...