YAPT: She claims to be an "Average American"

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Amazing fact:

This is the first election since 1976 in which none of the four candidates is related to a former Senator.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
Originally posted by: Perknose
Originally posted by: Atomic Playboy
Critiquing her for being successful is petty and ridiculous . . .

Yes, but she is being "critiqued" because she tried to portray herself as "an everyday, working-class American", which is simply not true, or what we quaintly used to call a "lie."
How exactly did she get to be worth more than a million??

Oh right... she worked every day for it... thus "everyday working-class American"

But Obama, with a similar net worth, a family with both parents working hard every day, is a member of the 'elite,' right? How many times have you posted that?

The blatant intellectual dishonesty of some posters here never fails to amaze.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: Vic

Yes, but she is being "critiqued" because she tried to portray herself as "an everyday, working-class American", which is simply not true, or what we quaintly used to call a "lie."

Oh right... she worked every day for it... thus "everyday working-class American"

But Obama, with a similar net worth, a family with both parents working hard every day, is a member of the 'elite,' right? How many times have you posted that?

The blatant intellectual dishonesty of some posters here never fails to amaze.

the "elite" slander has nothing to do with property or money and is a charge relating to Obama's perceived attitudes (clinging to religion etc)

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Vic, both Obama's have law degrees.

Mrs Obama made $273,000 from her job and another $50,000 from her being a member of the board of TreeHouse Foods.
So Mrs O by herself makes more than both Palin and her husband.

And as Loki points out, the 'elite' title comes from the way he carries himself and the views he holds. His 'bitter' and 'cling' comments are all you have to know to understand the elite title.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
As if "elite" is now something bad when compared to 6pack stupid.
Bring on the elite's.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
reposted... for those here who don't seem to get it.

Originally posted by: palehorse
In order to compare her with the known statistics, accurately, you'd at least need to deduct her principal residence (~552k).

1.2 - 5.5 = 6.7

So, Palin's actual net worth is roughly $670k

Explanation, from wiki:
Net worth vs. financial assets

Recently, there has been some controversy over how to correctly determine a person's status as a millionaire. One of the two most commonly used measurements is net worth, which counts the total value of all property owned by a household minus the household's debts. According to this definition, a household owning an $800k home, $50k furnishing, two cars worth $60k, a $60k retirement savings account, $45k in mutual funds, and a $325k vacation home with a $250k mortgage, $40k in car loans, and $25k in credit card debt would be worth $1,025,000 and every individual in this household would thus be a millionaire. However, according to the net financial assets measurement, equity in one's principal residence is excluded, as are lifestyle assets, such as the car and furniture. Therefore the above example household would only have net financial assets of $80,000. Another term is "net investable assets".

IOW, she's not even a "millionaire" by most established measurements -- including the global report compiled annually by Capgemini for Merrill Lynch.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
She wasn't talking about money, she was talking about her knowledge of foreign policy.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Vic, both Obama's have law degrees.

Mrs Obama made $273,000 from her job and another $50,000 from her being a member of the board of TreeHouse Foods.
So Mrs O by herself makes more than both Palin and her husband.

And as Loki points out, the 'elite' title comes from the way he carries himself and the views he holds. His 'bitter' and 'cling' comments are all you have to know to understand the elite title.

snob might be a better word

Originally posted by: jpeyton
Things Sarah Palin can name.

i was expecting a speak and spell :(

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

FFS will you (and the rest of the) apologists quit trying to spin her outright lie...

HH: Governor, you mentioned the people who are struggling right now. Have you and your husband, Todd, ever faced tough economic times where you had to sit around a kitchen table and make tough choices?

SP: Oh my goodness, yes, Hugh. I know what Americans are going through. Todd and I, heck, we?re going through that right now even as we speak, which may put me again kind of on the outs of those Washington elite who don?t like the idea of just an everyday working class American running for such an office.

I call bullshit on her and her husband sitting around a table deciding whether to pay this bill or that bill. She's in the top 5% of families in this country and she wants us to believe she's struggling just like us right now? Yeah, right.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

In order to compare her with the known statistics, accurately, you'd at least need to deduct her principal residence (~552k).

1.2 - 5.5 = 6.7

Explanation, from wiki:

Recently, there has been some controversy over how to correctly determine a person's status as a millionaire. One of the two most commonly used measurements is net worth, which counts the total value of all property owned by a household minus the household's debts. According to this definition, a household owning an $800k home, $50k furnishing, two cars worth $60k, a $60k retirement savings account, $45k in mutual funds, and a $325k vacation home with a $250k mortgage, $40k in car loans, and $25k in credit card debt would be worth $1,025,000 and every individual in this household would thus be a millionaire. However, according to the net financial assets measurement, equity in one's principal residence is excluded, as are lifestyle assets, such as the car and furniture. Therefore the above example household would only have net financial assets of $80,000. Another term is "net investable assets".

IOW, she's not even a "millionaire" by most established measurements -- including the global report compiled annually by Capgemini for Merrill Lynch.

This really isn't relevant. She claims to be an average American who is struggling right now. Do you believe that?

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
Originally posted by: Trianon
I'm still voting for Obama...
Whoa, what happened? Pleasant surprize, I must say.
Nothing happened. I've openly supported Obama since the beginning of his campaign. Without hijacking the thread beyond your reply, why the surprise? Just curious...

TheSlamma

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
I'm not interested in an average American VP anyway... I want someone who is well above average.

When it comes to finances she is above average.. but that's most likely with the help of her sperm donor.

When it comes to foreign affairs she knows the same amount as your typical no passport holding American. She knows nothing about the supreme court except what her Church told her. When it comes to answering hard (well and sometimes not so hard) questions she is as timid as a 3 minute old Pitbull with lipstick.

She is however above average in witch protection.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
Originally posted by: Robor
I call bullshit on her and her husband sitting around a table deciding whether to pay this bill or that bill. She's in the top 5% of families in this country and she wants us to believe she's struggling just like us right now? Yeah, right.

FFS, her family is NOT in the "top 5% of families in this country."

Contrary to the OP's attempts to demonstrate otherwise, she's not even a millionaire. (See above). Start paying attention damnit...

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: sactoking
Originally posted by: jonks
Originally posted by: spidey07
Originally posted by: her209
Meh. $1 million is not that big of a deal anymore.

Exactly. Many working families already have net worth over a million. It just isn't a lot of money anymore.

Link please? Good luck finding one.

It's nice all you folks who think $1M isn't much can nod your heads without checking the facts. How many americans have net worths over one million dollars? Less than 10 million. That puts Palin in the top 3-5% of the country, i.e. not average. All of you who say your parents are worth $1M or more? Also not average.

Now I couldn't care less how rich she is, or even if she claims to be "one of the people." But you people who are saying that $1M in assets doesn't put you in elite company in this country are very simply wrong.

You do know that of all the millionaires in this country, something like 90% of them are worth $1,000,000-2,500,000 and consist mainly of small business owners, accountants, contractors, dry cleaners, storage unit operators, etc., right?

Your perception of the 'wealthy' is skewed by the media's portrayal of super-high-income earners. Income does not equal wealth. A millionaire CAN be an 'average American'.

Do you know what the word 'average' means? I don't think you do.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005

1.2 - 5.5 = 6.7

Explanation, from wiki:

Recently, there has been some controversy over how to correctly determine a person's status as a millionaire. One of the two most commonly used measurements is net worth, which counts the total value of all property owned by a household minus the household's debts. According to this definition, a household owning an $800k home, $50k furnishing, two cars worth $60k, a $60k retirement savings account, $45k in mutual funds, and a $325k vacation home with a $250k mortgage, $40k in car loans, and $25k in credit card debt would be worth $1,025,000 and every individual in this household would thus be a millionaire. However, according to the net financial assets measurement, equity in one's principal residence is excluded, as are lifestyle assets, such as the car and furniture.Therefore the above example household would only have net financial assets of $80,000. Another term is "net investable assets".

Did you even read that? A vacation home? A VACATION HOME?? WTF kind of average american owns more than one home?

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Amazing fact:

This is the first election since 1976 in which none of the four candidates is related to a former Senator.

I'd also wager a bet these are the least wealthy candidates to run for office as well.
Last round we had Bush who had to be in the hundreds of millions and John Kerry who would have been the most wealthy president ever at an estimated net worth of 700 million.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Robor

FFS, her family is NOT in the "top 5% of families in this country."

Contrary to the OP's attempts to demonstrate otherwise, she's not even a millionaire. (See above). Start paying attention damnit...

Your own breakdown showed her net worth of $670K. You can spin it all you want but that is not the 'average American' family.

And you didn't answer my question. Do you believe she is struggling right now as she claimed?

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: Genx87
Amazing fact:

I'd also wager a bet these are the least wealthy candidates to run for office as well.
Last round we had Bush who had to be in the hundreds of millions and John Kerry who would have been the most wealthy president ever at an estimated net worth of 700 million.

Perot?

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: jonks
Amazing fact:

Perot?

Perot had no real shot at winning. He played spolier. But had he won he would have been the most wealthy. He didnt and neither did John Kerry. But if Kerry did he would have been the most wealthy sitting president ever.

But think about this. McCain is the richest of the group with 45million in net worth? Obama is at about 10-15 isnt he? Biden and Palin probably sit about in the same boat at 1-3 million.

That is cheap compared to last election.

Kerry=700 million
Edwards >100 million

Bush several hundred million?
Cheney? tens of millions?

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Originally posted by: miketheidiot
not exacly working class, but not rich either, upper middle class imo

If upper middle class in your neighborhood own airplanes and a 3500 square-foot home, you must live in a very strange place.

That's upper class all the way. If you have enough funds to own an airplane in addition to your $550k 3500 square foot home, there's nothing middle class about your standing. She's not absurdly rich, but she's upper class.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: Eeezee
Originally posted by: miketheidiot
not exacly working class, but not rich either, upper middle class imo

If upper middle class in your neighborhood own airplanes and a 3500 square-foot home, you must live in a very strange place.

That's upper class all the way. If you have enough funds to own an airplane in addition to your $550k 3500 square foot home, there's nothing middle class about your standing. She's not absurdly rich, but she's upper class.

What kind of plane does she own? I can run down and buy a cessna 150 for 18K tomorrow if I wanted.

It depends where you live. I was looking at a 4200 sq foot home for 249 two months ago.

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Amazing fact:

John Kerry never claimed to be an average working American. He knew where he stood. He didn't pretend to be a common man in a silly lie.

The point is that she's either a liar or seriously out of touch with the average working-class American.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: Eeezee
Amazing fact:

John Kerry never claimed to be an average working American. He knew where he stood. He didn't pretend to be a common man in a silly lie.

The point is that she's either a liar or seriously out of touch with the average working-class American.

I think the liar label is tossed around way too much. And usually by people with motives who wouldnt care if it was their candidate. She worked her way up from an avg background.

And I never claimed Kerry to make that claim did I? I just found it very interesting the contrast in the candidates net worths compared to 4 years ago.