YAPT: Palin invokes executive privilege and uses non-gov servers to prevent emails from becoming public record

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: QED
Originally posted by: dahunan
Originally posted by: OneOfTheseDays
Unless there is some serious dirt in there who the fuck cares.

Excuse me??

That is government property.. do you know who the government IS... YOU AND ME ....

I can never understand people like you who think your politicians should be allowed to anything they please... you are scary.. the types who let Hitler come to power... blind sheep

Wait... so because she used a Yahoo account for personal business and state business she should be forced to hand over her personal e-mails to her husband from that account?

No, read the article. She "CC"d her husband on emails about state related matters and now wants to withhold producing them. When she 'cc'd him, a non-elected civilian, she forfeited privilege.

Anyway, it's a strange executive privilege claim for someone who promises to reform through transparency.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: jpeyton
Palin's Yahoo! Mail account was hacked.

Text

Not only was using a personal e-mail address for government business a dishonest way to keep your official business out of public record, but it's also criminally negligent with the amount of cyber criminals out there.

Is she going to e-mail NORAD with the nuclear launch codes from her Hotmail account?

I completely agree this is a *stupid* thing to do but I can't help but wonder if it doesn't go on more often than we'd like to think.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Originally posted by: Robor
Palin's Yahoo! Mail account was hacked.

Text

Not only was using a personal e-mail address for government business a dishonest way to keep your official business out of public record, but it's also criminally negligent with the amount of cyber criminals out there.

Is she going to e-mail NORAD with the nuclear launch codes from her Hotmail account?

I completely agree this is a *stupid* thing to do but I can't help but wonder if it doesn't go on more often than we'd like to think.

It probably does, but I am glad this hit the spotlight. If it was left unchecked and unknown then there is no chance it would ever stop. Not that this instance is a guarantee that it will stop mind you, but it does help.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
If you want to keep sectrets just dont use E-Mail, it is not like E-mail is secure or anything.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Seems Palin is following the steep tradition of Republican VP's..Cheney, Agnew and Rockefeller.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
ARS just posted an article about the hack.

They agree; Palin shows reckless irresponsibility by using a private Yahoo! Mail account for government business.

QED

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2005

They agree; Palin shows reckless irresponsibility by using a private Yahoo! Mail account for government business.

The only problem is-- the alleged hacker (who posted screenshots to serve as proof of his identity) claims he went through every single e-mail he could find and couldn't find anything at all damning in there-- no horribly offensive jokes, no insinuation about hiding anything or covering anything up, no talk about affairs or who really was Trig's mother. Furthermore, none of the e-mails exposed show that she had conducted official state business using the account-- so the whole premise of this thread is in serious doubt.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Originally posted by: QED

The only problem is-- the alleged hacker (who posted screenshots to serve as proof of his identity) claims he went through every single e-mail he could find and couldn't find anything at all damning in there-- no horribly offensive jokes, no insinuation about hiding anything or covering anything up, no talk about affairs or who really was Trig's mother. Furthermore, none of the e-mails exposed show that she had conducted official state business using the account-- so the whole premise of this thread is in serious doubt.
Not at all. The first thing Palin did once she got into the national spotlight was white wash her past.

That's why they are urging all Alaska government officials to defer questions to McCain's campaign. That's why she purged e-mails from her account (look at the screen shots, she only has 175-ish messages in there. At the rate she was getting e-mails, thats about 1 months worth).

Yahoo! Mail still keeps a cache of messages on their servers. If Palin conducted ANY government related business using her private e-mail account, it should be released to the public.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
OK, all you Palin Pals, place index finger-tips in ears, close eyes tightly and chant loudly as you jump up and down, up and down in traditional Repub lock-step unison: PAAAAA-LIN! PAAAA-LIN! PAAAA-LIN! PAAAA-LIN! And keep it going until she gets elected as VP. Remember, don't stop until she gets elected.....if ever.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
As I said in the other thread, this smells a lot like the kind of stunt Karl Rove has reportedly used throughout his career. Stage the hack, have the alleged hacker whine about how disappointed he was he didn't find anything -- thus undermining the current scandal about Palin using personal e-mail accounts to avoid accountability -- and have the campaign whine about their poor little girl has been violated to gain sympathy support for her. This is just speculation on my part, of course, but it matches other stories about Rove.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: Bowfinger
As I said in the other thread, this smells a lot like the kind of stunt Karl Rove has reportedly used throughout his career. Stage the hack, have the alleged hacker whine about how disappointed he was he didn't find anything -- thus undermining the current scandal about Palin using personal e-mail accounts to avoid accountability -- and have the campaign whine about their poor little girl has been violated to gain sympathy support for her. This is just speculation on my part, of course, but it matches other stories about Rove.
I will grant that it is feasible. Personally, that wouldn't work on me. IMO, if she was conducting high level gov business on yahoo and not using secure email already setup for her, just because nothing was found in this particular account doesn't save face to me.

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
If this bitch had a brain and used a "real" password instead of choosing BUSHINASKIRT as her password we wouldn't be reading these posts.