YAME3T: Plot question

Merad

Platinum Member
May 31, 2010
The crappy ending(s) have already been beaten to death, but there was something I didn't really get about the overall plot of the game.

Warning, here be spoilers.

Why is it so damned important to unite the galaxy to save Earth, other than the fact that you play from a human POV? Everyone is being raped by the Reapers. The Turians have basically lost their homeworld, even if you do get the Krogan to help. I think it one point Garrus mentions that every casualty report from Palaven is in the tens of millions. The Asari see their homeworld totally wiped out. I remember several side conversions on the Citadel talking about other minor races (Elcor, Volus, etc) whose homewords are overrun. But yet the whole damn game is about getting all of these guys to sign on for retaking Earth, because...?

I could see if the premise was "assemble the galaxy to fight the Reapers." Sure, sounds great. But it's specifically "assemble the galaxy to save Earth."

I guess you could argue that they're signing on because the Crucible is supposedly the only way to defeat the Reapers, and the Alliance is spearheading it. And the game sort of dodges the problem at the end by placing the Citadel/Catalyst at Earth, so you have to go there at the end anyway. But it makes no sense that throughout the rest of the game, everyone would be willing to sign on specifically to save Earth when the whole galaxy is burning.

QuantumPion

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
I think it was because the Reapers saw humanity as their largest threat, so the bulk of their forces was at Earth.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
They explain in passing that the bulk of the Reaper forces are hitting Earth, that's why they moved the citadel there. The other races know that the key to defeating the reapers is the citadel + crucible, so you have to go to wherever the citadel is.

Last edited:

QuantumPion

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
Because, Humans.

Thats why.

aliens-humans.jpg

epidemis

Jun 6, 2007
They explain in passing that the bulk of the Reaper forces are hitting Earth, that's why they moved the citadel there. The other races know that the key to defeating the reapers is the citadel + crucible, so you have to go to wherever the citadel is.

There's an even bigger question. How could earth resist for so long? When I left it it looked like it was getting blitzed in moments.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
There's an even bigger question. How could earth resist for so long? When I left it it looked like it was getting blitzed in moments.

Because Captain Anderson was born in London. :p

To seriously answer, remember at this point humanity isn't some 2-bit race. We're 2nd only to the Turians in terms of military might at the start of the conflict IIRC. Plus Anderson mentions the Reapers blasted the cities to hell but left good bits of the countryside alone. They eventually stopped blindly killing and started "harvesting", which takes more time in and of itself. Remember time means nothing to a Reaper. As far as they were concerned once Earth's primary defenses were gone the planet was theirs.

Merad

Platinum Member
May 31, 2010

They at least made a token effort to explain that. One of the times when you talk to Anderson and I think also the Major who shows up at the end they mention how they had to learn to scatter into the countryside because they were getting slaughtered in the cities.

I agree the beginning of the game makes it look like earth is the focus of the Reaper attack but when you get to Palaven and Thessia they seem to be getting smacked just as hard as Earth.

Guess we'll have to go with, because, humans.

Merad

Platinum Member
May 31, 2010
To seriously answer, remember at this point humanity isn't some 2-bit race. We're 2nd only to the Turians in terms of military might at the start of the conflict IIRC.

I think it depends on whether or not you sacrifice human fleets to hold the line and save the council in ME1.

But I always thought that was one of the most rediculous things about an otherwise very well thought out setting. At the time ME1 starts humans have only had mass effect tech for about 35 years and have been in contact with other species for 25 years. Yet we're already one of the top 5 players in council space.....

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
I think it depends on whether or not you sacrifice human fleets to hold the line and save the council in ME1.

But I always thought that was one of the most rediculous things about an otherwise very well thought out setting. At the time ME1 starts humans have only had mass effect tech for about 35 years and have been in contact with other species for 25 years. Yet we're already one of the top 5 players in council space.....

If you read the Codex on ships and technology, it covers the size of the Systems Alliance fleet compared to the Turians, Salarians, and Asari. Humans aggressively expanded into non-aligned space, but their fleet was actually fairly small.

http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Codex/Ships_and_Vehicles

The turian fleet presently has 37 dreadnoughts; the asari, 21; and the salarians, 16. Humanity has six with an additional hull under construction at Arcturus Station. Alliance battleships are named for the mountains of Earth.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
If you read the Codex on ships and technology, it covers the size of the Systems Alliance fleet compared to the Turians, Salarians, and Asari. Humans aggressively expanded into non-aligned space, but their fleet was actually fairly small.

http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Codex/Ships_and_Vehicles

That's from ME1. Before humans were a council race for starters. Just looking at war asset numbers the Alliance is in the top 3 if you played your cards right.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
That's from ME1. Before humans were a council race for starters. Just looking at war asset numbers the Alliance is in the top 3 if you played your cards right.

Just how many mile long star ships do you think the Systems Alliance can build in 2 years? :p

Should also be noted that there was a brief blurb in the Rannoch missions about a treaty that limited the number of dreadnoughts each race could construct. Similar to the Washington Naval Treaty after WW1.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Just how many mile long star ships do you think the Systems Alliance can build in 2 years? :p

Should also be noted that there was a brief blurb in the Rannoch missions about a treaty that limited the number of dreadnoughts each race could construct. Similar to the Washington Naval Treaty after WW1.

Well during WWII the US built 20-some-odd Essex class aircraft carriers in 2-3 years. I imagine dreadnoughts are similar in scale relative to the time period.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Well during WWII the US built 20-some-odd Essex class aircraft carriers in 2-3 years. I imagine dreadnoughts are similar in scale relative to the time period.

Simple technology.

It took 4 years to launch the Nimitz, keel was laid down in 1968 and she launched in 1972.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Nimitz_(CVN-68)

And the USS Gerald R Ford carrier has been under construction since 2007 and isn't scheduled to be finished until 2015.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerald_R._Ford_class_aircraft_carrier#Construction

Edit - I suppose you could construct them faster if you cut out all the non-essentials and focused on propulsion, weapons, and life support. First thing the Reapers would hit would be ship yards though. Plus the Sense of Urgency thing from their imminent death would likely speed things up too.

Last edited: