YAKickStarter - Terminus 'city-builder' set on a distant, inhospitable planet

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/976465455/terminus-2

Starting from classic city builders of the genre, Terminus takes the terrifying leap into the frontier of space where every new game and new colonization effort bring a wildly different experience on a new, procedurally generated planet.

You are the administrator of the colony and it's your mission to keep humanity going by any means possible. Colonists are mouths to feed, supplies are dwindling and almost everything is non-renewable.

Plan for long term growth while dealing with short-term crises, survey and exploit planet-side resources faster than you can use them up, perform critical research to offset the difficulty of living off-world and issue colony-wide directives to shape the growth of the only home of humanity, keep the old ways of thinking alive or forge a brave new world.

Sounds like a redoing of the old Outpost games from Sierra. Which I had a blast in, despite the bugs.

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010
If only modern games had realism like that. Pick the wrong place, dead. Hell, you can pick the right place and still end up dead. Ask some of those early American colonists.

It's so very hard to find games where you can actually lose at it. Everything is watered down easy mode.

acheron

Diamond Member
May 27, 2008
Marked for later. I have been wanting a new Outpost-type game forever.

acheron

Diamond Member
May 27, 2008
The design stuff sounds fantastic, but all the screenshots are of "mockups" and "prototypes" and "concept art" and all that. I.e., they haven't gotten very far yet. So I'm missing how they expect to actually make this game for $28K.

One of the updates has a video of the game actually running a bit, so I guess that's good. Still a long way from completion though, and the kickstarter page implies they have several people on the development team. I feel like they'd burn through $28K pretty quick.

I dunno. I'll probably take a flyer on it anyway, just because the game concept sounds exactly like something I've wanted to play for decades, and that I've made design doodles myself along the same lines. I really hope they make it.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Hmmm. I'm skeptical that they can do all they promise for 28k, but at the same time $5 wouldn't be a huge loss. I'll think about it, love the concept.

Someone needs to do a Battlestar Galactica-ish simulation where you have someone chasing you, and you can either keep running or hide in some hole in the wall and try to rebuild. Then put it on a massive scale to where you can completely rebuild your civilization and military and take it to them, or build the perfect hidey-hole and wait until they die out, or ascend through technology... basically I want SimCity+GalCiv2+Sins of a Solar Empire+Spore(in terms of staging, go from managing the last few hundred survivors to, potentially, a space-wide empire).

Arglebargle

Dec 2, 2006
It reminds me somewhat of Outpost. Man, that game was fricken awesome back in the day.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outpost_(video_game)

Listed as a bug, but that's bullshit. It was one of the coolest factors.

Sorry, that's just a waste of time. IF you are setting up a gaming of building outposts on planets, you should have a planet. Good, bad, tough, easy. A planet. Anything else is just obtuse.

It's like those Traveller games where you'd spend an hour rolling up a character to have him die on the last roll. Before you even started the game. We house ruled that one out pretty quick. (into 'bad accident', spend year in hospital).

Feb 4, 2009
It's like those Traveller games where you'd spend an hour rolling up a character to have him die on the last roll. Before you even started the game. We house ruled that one out pretty quick. (into 'bad accident', spend year in hospital).[/QUOTE]

Ha! I totally forgot about that, thanks for reminding me.

QuantumPion

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
I would love an Outpost remake but this kickstarter looks like crap. I don't even feel like contributing $5 to this.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Sorry, that's just a waste of time. IF you are setting up a gaming of building outposts on planets, you should have a planet. Good, bad, tough, easy. A planet. Anything else is just obtuse.

It's like those Traveller games where you'd spend an hour rolling up a character to have him die on the last roll. Before you even started the game. We house ruled that one out pretty quick. (into 'bad accident', spend year in hospital).

As opposed to Oregon Trail, where you could be playing for several hours, attempt to cross the rocky mountains in the winter and your entire party dies.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
As opposed to Oregon Trail, where you could be playing for several hours, attempt to cross the rocky mountains in the winter and your entire party dies.

My friend conducted an experiment and every character named a permutation of Tim died of dysentery over like 50 games.