YAJT - I need advice

Jassi

Diamond Member
Sep 8, 2004
I have an interview coming up for an internship position at a large engineering company that pays $13/hr (for full time).Here is what you need to know about me:

1 - Masters student in EE
2 - About 1.75 years of experience as a research assistant (no idustry experience so far)
3 - 1 Semester away from graduation (2 mandatory classes left, I want to take 2 more to improve job chances)
4 - Position sounds like it would be good experience, will know more after interview
5 - 22 Years old, paying for own grad school with loans + savings
6 - Parents are not willing to help out with the vehicle situation because they consider it a mistake (I am by no means spoiled and they do expect help in their old age for the help they provide now)

Here is what I would need to compromise:

1 - Work fulltime + Classes
2 - Acquire a vehicle
3 - Give up all social life until the end of the year

Alternatives:
1 - Graduate without "industry" experience
2 - Delay graduation by 1 or 2 classes (Will cost me extra because I pay flat fee for a semester + rent for Winter semester [provided I can keep the job until May]) and graduate with almost a year of experience.

I am starting to lose sleep over this so any advice is greatly appreciated.

jmcoreymv

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
You're a masters student in EE and you are willing to work for 13/hr? Seems like thats a bit low. But if you don't have any experience yet, then take what you can get before you graduate.

Jassi

Diamond Member
Sep 8, 2004
Originally posted by: gotsmack
you can make 13 an hour as a research assistant. ask for $16

I have tried. The offer (if I get it) will be 13 take it or leave it.

jessicak

Aug 15, 2003
You should definitely be able to get more than $13/hr. I am going into my third year as an EE undergrad and am currently making $19.50 at my internship, which still isn't even that much. Although, maybe it is because it is in California. My newest coworker got his job straight out of college with no industry experience however, and he is making pretty decent money.

Sentinel

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2000
$13/hr for an internship is fine IMHO, in the industry I am trying to get into the typical pay for an internship is $0/40 hrs. week, then again I am no where close to MSEE.