YAHTPCVideoCardT

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Its been about 12 months since I built my HTPC, and I can say I *am* happy with it. Im curious if on board video is still the way to go now? Or should I consider a fanless card? Now for the tibits.

HTPC is only used for media. 70% of the media is stored locally on the machine, 30% streamed over 5ghz wifi. I dont stream video from online.

I stream to my Pioneer Elite VTX52 receiver.

98% of my media is DTS or better for video, FLAC for audio.

According to my receiver, Im receiving everything up to DTS HD just fine.

I havent noticed any significant picture quality issues during movies.

No plans in the near future for wanting 3D support.

My hardware:
Intel i3 2100 Sandy Bridge CPU
MSI Z77A mobo (I think Im remembering correctly!)
4 gigs some memory cant remember
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Media software: WMC mainly, with Shark007 codecs, virtual clone drive, and Mikinho mount image. This setup plays 95% of what I throw at it, including blu-ray, ISO, and FLAC.

Total Media 5 backup software.

So I think thats about it. Would I see a quality difference using a vid card, and what would you recommend?

Last edited:

Rio Rebel

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
There is no media out there which can be played on a discreet graphics card but not your Ivy Bridge IGP. Unless you're going to start gaming on it, you've got a great setup right now, even if you wanted to do 3D.

Binky

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
About the only visible (to me) difference might be faster menus in Media Browser. My GT430 card whips through the menus a little faster than the onboard video. Playback of video is about the same.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
There is no media out there which can be played on a discreet graphics card but not your Ivy Bridge IGP. Unless you're going to start gaming on it, you've got a great setup right now, even if you wanted to do 3D.

I had to correct my post. My i3 is a 2100 Sandy Bridge. I was thinking Ivy Bridge because I upgraded my office/gaming PC to i7 Ivy in May. Ivy wasnt even out last year :p

Same conclusion?

Rio Rebel

Oct 9, 1999
Same answer for Sandy Bridge. And from my experience, bitstreaming HD audio seems more reliable with the Intel integrated GPU.

Rio Rebel

Oct 9, 1999
No problem. I had to replace my core I3 first generation and ended up with an AMD 6450. Nice card, but spent hours getting it to bitstream in various programs

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I used to use a 5450 in a HTPC, and I don't recall having that much of an issue with it. I did use a different HDMI driver than what came in the Catalyst package as that was a change that I saw recommended somewhere on the Internet. I believe AMD's packaged HDMI driver had issues with bitstreaming. :p

joutlaw

Golden Member
Feb 18, 2008
Running the same CPU and have no problems with WMC / Ceton / XBMC . I play 1080p content with Dolby TrueHD or DTS-MA with no problems.