YAHCT - Can we have a collective "I Told You So?"

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Atheus

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2005
I don't suppose it matters to you people that a modern heathcare system in the US would save a lot of lives? Especially the lives of the children of disadvantaged families? And I don't suppose it matters that healthy poor people are able to work a lot more than unhealty poor people, and with the added bonus of not paying out a year's salary every time their kid gets a fever, might actually be able to lift themselves out of poverty? Thereby greatly increasing the size of the American economy over the coming decades?

No I suppose not.

CycloWizard

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
I don't suppose it matters to you people that a modern heathcare system in the US would save a lot of lives? Especially the lives of the children of disadvantaged families? And I don't suppose it matters that healthy poor people are able to work a lot more than unhealty poor people, and with the added bonus of not paying out a year's salary every time their kid gets a fever, might actually be able to lift themselves out of poverty? Thereby greatly increasing the size of the American economy over the coming decades?

No I suppose not.
What does that have to do with this thread? This thread is about the bill that was passed, not what was promised.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
It's funny that you're so partisan that your brain can't handle it when someone else doesn't agree with a plank in the platform of his own party. :D

Wow. Talk. About. A. Non. Sequitur. Uhh did you see where he blamed OBAMA for not negotiating? He clearly just doesn't know that it's part of the Republican platform not to negotiate, and part of the Democratic platform to negotiate costs through the public health entities. Hence my sarcastic remark that he forgot to check the platform. Do you not get sarcasm either?

Another logic fail from CycloWizard.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
Ever heard of medicare? Sure people on it are happy.. because its back end is the Bank of Uncle Sam.

That is why the public option is a bad thing. The thing the healthcare industry has to look at is why the doctor charges $100 and why the insurance company pays $50 for something that costs $20. Is this to cover medicare patients who he loses money on? Malpractice insurance? increased costs due to government over site of his office? interstate commerce regulations causing stuff to cost more? Do patients accept this because of the cost disconnect?

Having obamacare will do nothing to fix what is wrong with our healthcare. Read what the director of the CBO has to say about it.

The CBO said a few months ago that healthcare reform would save the federal government money in the long run. Are they only correct when you agree with them?

I say obamacare will make it worse because of a host of issues.. such as doctors being reimbursed the same way medicare reimburses them now. This will have a cascading effect that will result in worse health care over the next few decades.

Do you have any idea what you are talking about? Do you not realize that public option did not make it into health reform? There's no such thing as "Obamacare".

You my friend are the insane one if you think the federal government is capable of pulling this off. The fact is with obamacare one of the following WILL happen in the future: massive tax increase (which is starting now) or massive reduction in healthcare services. Possibly both.

Massive tax increase for what? To subsidize people who aren't insured? You mean the same people we pay for indirectly now?

I have to ask... are you an American tax payer?

Yes. Doesn't it say right under my name that I live in Wailuku, HI?

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Whatis the long run? I wouldnt trust a CBO report more than 1 year out. They have a history of being wrong in predicting future costs. The main problem is congress feeds them the inputs. Congress has a vested interest in cherry picking the inputs.

Lets wait a decade and see how close the CBO is to reality. Remember in 2005 they predicted by 2018 SS would be revenue neutral then we would start the outlay process. They were only off by a decade.

CaptainGoodnight

Golden Member
Oct 13, 2000

No I suppose not.

It doesn't do anybody any good if the system isn't viable.

CycloWizard

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
Wow. Talk. About. A. Non. Sequitur. Uhh did you see where he blamed OBAMA for not negotiating? He clearly just doesn't know that it's part of the Republican platform not to negotiate, and part of the Democratic platform to negotiate costs through the public health entities. Hence my sarcastic remark that he forgot to check the platform. Do you not get sarcasm either?

Another logic fail from CycloWizard.
political-pictures-sarah-palin-whoosh.jpg