DaShen

Lifer
Dec 1, 2000
I have a Martin guitar with just a pickup with no electronics (no battery).

I also just got a Mandolin with a pickup with no electronics.

I do not own an AMP, but when I do plug in the guitar or Mandolin into a stage system, the only way to pickup the instruments is to run on Phantom power (for any of you who know audio electronics stuff, this can get tricky and is not as safe).

I will eventually get a pre-amp, but I was wondering if a simple signal booster for $99 would suffice. Anybody here know anything about this? I am running a little low on expendable cash and I don't want to spend too much money, but $99 sounds alright.

**EDIT**
BTW anyone know about this. Any reviews?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/...gpro-Acoustic-Guitar-Preamp?sku=307107

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/...o-Universal-Belt-Clip-Mixer?sku=307113

What is the difference?

Jun 19, 2004
Thread would have been better if it was girl instead of guitar.

I need to read some depressing self pwnage this morning to make me smile.

CptObvious

Platinum Member
Mar 5, 2004
Second product appears to have a mixer on it if you have two pickups (e.g., an undersaddle transducer and a soundhole pickup). If your guitar only has one pickup, I'd get the first product.

I've heard good things about the Para D.I. which is made by the same company.

DaShen

Lifer
Dec 1, 2000
Originally posted by: CptObvious
Second product appears to have a mixer on it if you have two pickups (e.g., an undersaddle transducer and a soundhole pickup). If your guitar only has one pickup, I'd get the first product.

I've heard good things about the Para D.I. which is made by the same company.

Para D.I.? Is the Pre-Amp small enough for stage stuff?

It would be nice to have a two input system: one for the guitar, the other for the mando.

But I like the small pre-amp systems. They seem a lot easier to deal with than the bigger preamps.

drinkmorejava

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
What do you mean phantom power is not safe? If you know anything about it, it's very easy. How do you think every single $500 microphone in a theater gets power? If it wasn't safe and effective it would never be used. If something needs 12v, make sure the board channel is at 12v; it really is that easy.

DaShen

Lifer
Dec 1, 2000
Originally posted by: drinkmorejava
What do you mean phantom power is not safe? If you know anything about it, it's very easy. How do you think every single $500 microphone in a theater gets power? If it wasn't safe and effective it would never be used. If something needs 12v, make sure the board channel is at 12v; it really is that easy.

The place that I play at is low on the amount of juice going to the mixer. They need to upgrade that before doing phantom power. But yeah, safe in general, but not recommended for good sound, better to have a preamp.