YAGT: OMG I love guns

Page 330 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
OK guys. I'm about ready to start on the AR.

So far I know that for the lower, I just get something decent.

What about for the upper?

What should I look for in the trigger?

What about furniture? I want all black.

I want inexpensive optics. This is going to be shot maybe a few times a year.

TerryMathews

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

Uppers are like religion, ask 3 people and you'll get 4 answers. My personal preference is mid length if youre doing a traditional setup with a FSB, carbine length if you're putting the gas block under a quad rail or free float tube.

My favorite rifle is a 12" quad rail over a carbine length gas block, with a Magpul AFG and XTMs on the sides.

Trigger should be mil spec until you know what you want, and you should keep one for troubleshooting. If youre trying to work something out like hammer follow your first step should be to switch to mil spec and see if the problem continues.

Furniture is another preference issue. You'll never know what you really want until you've shot some. I prefer the A1 stock for myself, but that's a very specific length that wouldn't fit everyone. In the meantime, Magpul MOE holds its value well on the secondary market.

Optics? Optisan Mamba.

Lastly, keep in mind Brownells has a no questions asked lifetime return policy. If you have a purchase youre not sure about like a $200 stock, its worth the little bit extra you'll pay in order to be able to get you're money back out of it.

boomhower

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2007

Any quality upper will work. PSA, BCM, Spikes etc. I prefer mid length with a standard front sight post and light weight barrel.
The one that comes in you lower parts kit to start with. Once you are proficient with the rifle you can buy a trigger based on the type of shooting you do. My favorite is the Geissele SSA. They make a trigger for about any use.
Magpul MOE. Dirt cheap and works very well.
Priamry Arms. Cheap and hold zero. Best cheap optic you will get

My $.02.

Edit
Here is your upper. Very good price on an upper that is as good as pretty much anything on the market with furniture that matches your want. Add an MOE rear site and call it a day.

Last edited:

corwin

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2006

Pretty good deal on a DS Arms upper at Primary Arms right now, pretty basic carbine build with chrome lined bore and A2 front sight (my preference) and standard handguard...I'd change it out to a quad rail myself (Amazon has some for less than $40 and they'd be just fine for your use) with ladder rail covers...stock trigger from your lpk is gonna be fine as well. For stock I still love the MOE and doubt I'll ever change mine...optics I would go with Primary Arms brand red dot, the AA powered 30mm multi-reticle version is $120 I think and mine has been great, they even have magnifiers that work with them if you so desire.

And as most all of us would agree, check out Palmetto State Armory, they've got quality parts at great prices, shipping can be a little slow though.

corwin

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2006
blemished version of the zombie lower in stock at a reputable site(I haven't used it, read others have had good experiences there, even someone from here I think?)
I have one but haven't built it yet, quality is nice...also I got it from AIM Surplus for $89.95 shipped...they're out of stock right now but get them in regularly and it's not a blem, though usually the blem isn't noticable

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
Pretty good deal on a DS Arms upper at Primary Arms right now, pretty basic carbine build with chrome lined bore and A2 front sight (my preference) and standard handguard...I'd change it out to a quad rail myself (Amazon has some for less than $40 and they'd be just fine for your use) with ladder rail covers...stock trigger from your lpk is gonna be fine as well. For stock I still love the MOE and doubt I'll ever change mine...optics I would go with Primary Arms brand red dot, the AA powered 30mm multi-reticle version is $120 I think and mine has been great, they even have magnifiers that work with them if you so desire.

And as most all of us would agree, check out Palmetto State Armory, they've got quality parts at great prices, shipping can be a little slow though.

Stupid question:

Why would I want a front sight if I'm using optics? Wouldn't the sight interfere?

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Stupid question:

Why would I want a front sight if I'm using optics? Wouldn't the sight interfere?

You can cowitness the iron sights. If your optic fails or has a dead battery you can look through the glass and see your front sight.

corwin

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2006
Stupid question:

Not stupid...the front sight is visible and you can add a rear sight for co-witness...basically you flip up the rear and you can use it through the red dot, like if your battery dies.

Here's a decent build on a budget to start with...

Complete Lower $169
Complete Upper $369.99
Red Dot $119.99

Total $658 plus any shipping and FFL fees...of course you'll need a mag or 10 too

HTFOff

Golden Member
Oct 3, 2013
Stupid question:

Some people like the sight picture it brings if you can cowitness the front sight and your red dot. Other than that, its simply a back up option. It's also a good idea to practice with your iron sights before graduating to an optic.

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
Not stupid...the front sight is visible and you can add a rear sight for co-witness...basically you flip up the rear and you can use it through the red dot, like if your battery dies.

Here's a decent build on a budget to start with...

Complete Lower $169
Complete Upper $369.99
Red Dot $119.99

Total $658 plus any shipping and FFL fees...of course you'll need a mag or 10 too

Thanks.

I really don't know if I want to go the cheapest route on the upper and the trigger. I might end up piecing those together. I am hoping to do this all within the next 2 weeks but my problem is that I don't really know what I'm looking for.

corwin

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2006
Sure
I really don't know if I want to go the cheapest route on the upper and the trigger. I might end up piecing those together. I am hoping to do this all within the next 2 weeks but my problem is that I don't really know what I'm looking for.
DS Arms is a reputable middle of the road brand, but PSA has a CHF extra thick chrome lined upper for $319, just need to add a BCG and charging handle, which is about another $130 or so and you can always change the trigger out later if you don't like it, the stock trigger is maybe $20 of the cost so it's not like you'd be out much money, though most people stick with stock for plinking...

There hasn't been a bad suggestion from anyone here yet so just pick and choose what you want that fits into your budget.

And whatever you finally decide on the hardware you're going to need mags, I doubt anyone will deny that PMags are as good as it gets...$8.49 each plus shipping

Last edited:

Zargon

Lifer
Nov 3, 2009
I'd love to hear about anyones experience with the cheap...say sub 60$ quad rails

I would love to go keymod but the first rifle is going to be dirt cheap bargain bin stuff

corwin

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2006
I'd love to hear about anyones experience with the cheap...say sub 60$ quad rails

I would love to go keymod but the first rifle is going to be dirt cheap bargain bin stuff
I've bought two off Amazon like this one, $28 plus shipping...I've compared it to a couple expensive ones and I can't tell any difference in weight or finish, the edges may have been a little sharper but that's about it, once I put on the ladder rail covers that makes no difference.

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
My $.02.

Edit
Here is your upper. Very good price on an upper that is as good as pretty much anything on the market with furniture that matches your want. Add an MOE rear site and call it a day.

Sure

DS Arms is a reputable middle of the road brand, but PSA has a CHF extra thick chrome lined upper for $319, just need to add a BCG and charging handle, which is about another $130 or so and you can always change the trigger out later if you don't like it, the stock trigger is maybe $20 of the cost so it's not like you'd be out much money, though most people stick with stock for plinking...

There hasn't been a bad suggestion from anyone here yet so just pick and choose what you want that fits into your budget.

And whatever you finally decide on the hardware you're going to need mags, I doubt anyone will deny that PMags are as good as it gets...$8.49 each plus shipping

Both of those uppers look great. What am I missing for the price difference?

boomhower

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2007
Stupid question:

After a while you don't even notice it. I use a fixed front and rear. I use a lower 1/3 cowitnes and love it. I still say get the Spikes. For the extra $100 bucks over DS Arms your getting a top notch upper on par with the best in the business for not much more money. The linked PSA a couple post up is good but by the time you add quality BCG and you hand guards it's going to be almost a wash. (Plus I'm a huge huge huge fan of mid length over carbine gas system.)

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
After a while you don't even notice it. I use a fixed front and rear. I use a lower 1/3 cowitnes and love it. I still say get the Spikes. For the extra $100 bucks over DS Arms your getting a top notch upper on par with the best in the business for not much more money. The linked PSA a couple post up is good but by the time you add quality BCG and you hand guards it's going to be almost a wash. (Plus I'm a huge huge huge fan of mid length over carbine gas system.)

funny thing is, I had a tab open with that upper at AIM.

I'm looking at this LPK:
https://www.primaryarms.com/Spike-s-Tactical-Lower-Parts-Kit-p/slpk101.htm

That Upper:
http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XSTU5035MOE

This stock:
https://www.primaryarms.com/Magpul-CTR-Carbine-Stock-MilSpec-Version-Bl-p/mag310-blk.htm

This red dot:
https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary-Arms-AA-Battery-Multi-Reticle-Red-Dot-GE-p/pa-aamrg3.htm

A lower from a local place so I don't have to deal with FFL.

Anything else I would need?

corwin

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2006
Both of those uppers look great. What am I missing for the price difference?
Spike's is a bigger brand for one, it also is complete with BCG and charging handle...PSA upper is cold hammer forged with thicker chrome lining of the bore...

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
Buffer tube set, the stock doesn't come with it...and you might look at the MOE stock, aside from a slightly different look they are pretty much the same but cheaper

I wanted to find a magpul kit with the stock, butt and grips but I couldn't find one. Do they not make a kit?

And I have no idea what a buffer tube set is. Link?

boomhower

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2007

As mentioned a buffer tube and also a rear site. Could go with this kit for lower parts and stock, also has MOE grip and trigger guard. Includes the buffer tube assembly. The MOE and CTR are very similar. The CTR is going to be tighter due to a friction lock it has. The MOE is good bit tighter than the standard M4 stock and the CTR even more so. I have and MOE and a buddy the CTR, I have zero desire to upgrade.

edit
Think I answered the questions you were asking while I was typing. :biggrin:

Last edited: