YAGT: Car wreck *story and picture*

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

NogginBoink

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
Was she crossing at an intersection?

Or did she just drive across a freeway and the median at that point because it happened to be a convenient place for her to cross over a freeway?

It doesn't appear she was on a cross street.

Bignate603

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
pictures like that almost make me afraid to get in my car...

I'm so sorry. I've had friends that have only made it by a miracle in car wrecks (one got hit on the driver side by a semi, where he was sitting no longer exsisted in the car) and probably the most terrible thing is to sit there and be helpless as you're trying to just grab bits and pieces of what happened.

Aug 23, 2000
Originally posted by: NogginBoink
Was she crossing at an intersection?

Or did she just drive across a freeway and the median at that point because it happened to be a convenient place for her to cross over a freeway?

It doesn't appear she was on a cross street.

Smaller towns have 2 or 3 lane highways that have smaller feeder streets that don't cross the road, but the person has to make a right onto it. Many times you just kinda have to punch the gas and pray cause the traffic doesn't let up.

Armitage

Banned
Feb 23, 2001
Originally posted by: joshsquall
My condolences. I know how hard it is to lose a friend in a split second.

What kind of car was she driving? It definitely doesn't look like it should have passed the governments safety standards, unless the Jeep was going insanely fast.

Article said she was driving a pickup, so that would be the older ford. The on in front is the jeep that the driver and 2 year old got out of. They had airbags, and lots of crush space in front of them. The girl in the pickup only had a few inches of door between her and the impact. The picture doesn't show it well, but I bet the drivers side of the truck is pushed in to nearly the center of the vehicle. Not much chance.

Sorry about your friend :(

Confused

Elite Member
Nov 13, 2000
Damn :(

Sorry for the loss of your friend :(

My condolences to you and her family :(

Garry

Balthazar

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2000
Its amazing the occupants of the jeep weren't pulverized as well! From the way the article talks it was her "fault".
Thats so sad :(
I hate to say it but I know more than one 17 year old that does not respect the potential for disaster that driving a vehicle can present to you. I hope none of them have end up like that....

Salvador

Diamond Member
May 19, 2001
They just had something about side impact collisions, especially with SUV's on Dateline recently. They said that the majority of deaths from motor vehicle accidents are now side impact collisions. It is a shame.

I tell you.. With all the SUV's and trucks on the roads along with all the people that talk on their cell phones while they drive, I'm very scared as a motorcyclist to be on the roads these days.

Sal

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: SammySon
I thought she was in the jeep before I read the article.

me too. looks like the jeep didn't have any passenger compartment intrusions though. the truck looks almost fine.

EvilYoda

Lifer
Apr 1, 2001
holy sh*t...I don't know what to say, other than "I'm sorry"...that was one bad accident. :(