yadt -- yet another doctor thread

Rallispec

Lifer
Jul 26, 2001
yesterday i started getting what looked like poison ivy on my leg-- couldn't figure out wear it came from becuase I had been waering pants all day-- but i just dismissed as being nothing.

this morning i woke up COVERED in this rash.. just like poison ivy- small little red bumps, that itch like crazy.

i've got an appointment schedule with the doctor for later today-- but does anybody know what the hell this is?

i was talking to my mom and she was thinking this may be early symptom of lime disease :Q
god i hope not.

Rallispec

Lifer
Jul 26, 2001
:Q
chiggers?!

wouldnt know if it was something like that. and they missed my face and most of my chest-- but got all of my legs and arms, including the palms of my hand.

Ime

Diamond Member
May 3, 2001
I can think of a couple of things:

1) You've got that flesh-eating bateria. Soon you'll be a puddle of goo! :) I'm only kidding, it's not that.

2) You've developed a skin reaction to some allergen. Same thing happened to my wife when we changed laundry detergent. Did you change the way you wash your clothes lately? New detergent? New fabric softener? Has your water quality changed lately?

I highly suspect it's #2. #1 was just to see how easy it is it freak you out. :)

By The Way, IANAD (I Am Not A Doctor)

Rallispec

Lifer
Jul 26, 2001
thats what i thought also.. i figured it had to be an allergic reaction to something--- but their isnt anything at all that i can think of that would have caused it.

no new soaps or detergents... havent eaten anything weird.

Hammer

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
Yup, sounds like an allergic reaction to something. I doubt its poison ivy unless you've been wandering around in a field somewhere recently.

Rallispec

Lifer
Jul 26, 2001
poison ivy also just sticks around the location though, right?... this is covering my body (even my effing feet) so i know its not poison ivy. it looks and feels just like poison ivy though.

i hope it just an allergic reaction

Ime

Diamond Member
May 3, 2001
I would say take 2 Benedryl and see if it clears up the rash... but you'd probably sleep through the doctor's appointment. :)

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
Whether it's poison ivy or a reaction to something else, a doc can prescribe some anti-inflammatory meds to at least make you more comfortable while it runs it's course. Poison ivy takes a few days after exposure to crop up, so you may have gotten into it a few days back while wearing shorts and it's just now starting to blister and itch.

Doesn't sound at all like Lyme, BTW. That is usually a very localized inflammation (kinda looks like a bullseye) around where the tick bit you.

Rallispec

Lifer
Jul 26, 2001
yep, took 2 benadryl as soon as i woke up this morning thinking the same thing... that was 30 minutes ago.. hasnt helped at all yet though.

Rallispec

Lifer
Jul 26, 2001
fausto, i'm used to poison ivy being localized too.. like if you walk through it, it will just get your legs. i'm not used to it spreading along the whole body

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
Originally posted by: Rallispec
fausto, i'm used to poison ivy being localized too.. like if you walk through it, it will just get your legs. i'm not used to it spreading along the whole body

You'd be surprised. The oil can stay viable for quite a while even off the plant. You get some on an article of clothing, it gets on other stuff, and eventually gets all over you. I had it all over me a month or so ago as I got it on my forearms (didn't know I had) and then took a shower and did an outstanding job of spreading it everywhere with the washcloth. Great fun.

Once it's bound to your skin tho, you can't spread it. All the stories about scratching spreading it around are incorrect.

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
Originally posted by: Spooner
i gotta tell ya, poison ivy is one of the most annoying things like EVER

Tell me about it. I've had several very nasy cases of it in the process of eradicating it from my yard. I'm going out there with a flamethrower if I get it again. :|

Spooner

Lifer
Jan 16, 2000
I'm so allergic to the damn plant that I once go it at a soccer field as a kid because someone was BURNING a pile of leaves (apparently some poison ivy, or oak, or sumac... one of them was in it) and I got it through the AIR?!!

I didn't even know that was possible until my doctor told me so

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
My mom has it right now as her dog managed to get it all over herself (animals are not sensitive to it) and then transferred the oil to mom's arms when she picked the dog up.

Rallispec

Lifer
Jul 26, 2001
Originally posted by: Spooner
I'm so allergic to the damn plant that I once go it at a soccer field as a kid because someone was BURNING a pile of leaves (apparently some poison ivy, or oak, or sumac... one of them was in it) and I got it through the AIR?!!

I didn't even know that was possible until my doctor told me so

wow. i didnt realize that was possible either

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
i don't think everyone is allergic to it either... we were playing frisbee golf up off 51st street and one of my friends got it so bad his eyes were swollen shut.

you pretty much can't get inflammed on your palms either. skin is too thick.

Rallispec

Lifer
Jul 26, 2001
okay--- the doctor told me it was just a reaction to my detergent. why it never happened before now- i have no clue. he gave me some antihystimes and that almost completely cure it. little bumps are still there, but the itching and stuff has really let up. He said it should be gone in a day or two.

*sigh of relief*