YACT!!

ohtwell

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
My car: 1998 Chevy Cavalier with around 110,000 miles

I need a second opinion on a problem I am having with the car. Lately when I turn the wheel to the right it makes a very odd noise. The noise is like a clicking mixed with a stretching noise. It's hard for me to describe the noise. It only happens when I am turning the wheel right. It will stop when the wheel is turned hard right. It does it if I'm reversing and if I am driving forward. I only seem to notice it if I am driving slow. There is no noise if I turn the wheel to the left. I'm thinking that it's the outboard CV joints but I wasn't sure because of the fact that it only does it when I'm turning the wheel to the right.

I'm not sure if this is relevant but the brake pads have been changed, the rotors were turned, and I just got new tires put on the car. I know it's not the fluid because I've had it checked. Could it be the CV joint and if so what do you estimate as the cost of repairs? Any other suggestions as to what could be causing this are welcome.

TIA

: ) Amanda

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
I agree that it sounds as though the CV joint is the problem. IIRC, it is not abnormal for there only to be noise while turning in one direction.

ZV

EDIT: Forgot about price. I had to replace a CV joint in my Accord when I hit something and tore off the boot. My guess is that you're looking at $125-$175.

JC

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2000
I'm thinking that it's the outboard CV joints but I wasn't sure because of the fact that it only does it when I'm turning the wheel to the right.

Same here. Usually makes noise turning both ways. Take a look at the outer CV boots to see if they're torn, that'd be a definite clue.

If it is a CV joint, the cheapest/quickest fix would be a rebuilt axle. You can get 'em at most auto parts stores, don't know exactly how much, prolly under $200 for the axle, exchange, plus labor.

JC

N8Magic

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
<--- former Cavalier owner who had the same problem.

I'd agree with JC, check the boots to see if they are cracked and leaking grease. If so, you may be able to get away with a boot/grease job if the CV joint isn't already trashed.

Another thing it may be is a bad wheel bearing assembly. I had one of these go bad on my Cavalier and it sounded very similar to a CV joint gone bad.

BTW, don't buy any of the parts for either of these jobs from the dealer. I was in there car shopping at the same time as I had to replace the CV joint in my Cavalier and their prices were 4X the local parts store!

ohtwell

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
Originally posted by: N8Magic
<--- former Cavalier owner who had the same problem.

I'd agree with JC, check the boots to see if they are cracked and leaking grease. If so, you may be able to get away with a boot/grease job if the CV joint isn't already trashed.

Another thing it may be is a bad wheel bearing assembly. I had one of these go bad on my Cavalier and it sounded very similar to a CV joint gone bad.

BTW, don't buy any of the parts for either of these jobs from the dealer. I was in there car shopping at the same time as I had to replace the CV joint in my Cavalier and their prices were 4X the local parts store!
Ok, I'm not really good with cars. Where are the boots and where should I look for the cracks and the grease. I'm sure I could find them myself but I want to have an idea of where to look before I climb under the car.

N8Magic

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Originally posted by: ohtwell

Ok, I'm not really good with cars. Where are the boots and where should I look for the cracks and the grease. I'm sure I could find them myself but I want to have an idea of where to look before I climb under the car.

The boot itself will look like this.

When attached to the car, it will look something like this. (in behind the wheel hub)

Here's another pic of an actual car.

CV boots aren't that hard to check, but they are not so simple to replace. :)

ohtwell

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
Originally posted by: N8Magic

The boot itself will look like this.

When attached to the car, it will look something like this. (in behind the wheel hub)

Here's another pic of an actual car.

CV boots aren't that hard to check, but they are not so simple to replace. :)
Thanks!! I'll have to check it out tomorrow. Is it necessary to take the wheel off or is it possible to see and assess the boot with the tire on? Taking it off is not a big deal but I don't want to take it off if it's not necessary.

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
Is it necessary to take the wheel off or is it possible to see and assess the boot with the tire on? Taking it off is not a big deal but I don't want to take it off if it's not necessary.
You can keep the wheel on. To make it easier, turn the wheels as far the side as possible, that will make it a little easier to see what's under there.

ZV

N8Magic

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000

Thanks!! I'll have to check it out tomorrow. Is it necessary to take the wheel off or is it possible to see and assess the boot with the tire on? Taking it off is not a big deal but I don't want to take it off if it's not necessary.

I'd take the wheel off, because you still have to reach/look around behind the brake rotor and wheel bearing assembly. It's worth the trouble of taking off the wheel...

Look to see if the boot itself cracked and is leaking grease. If there is no cracks or leaking grease, feel the boot to see if there is still grease inside. In general, a CV joint will not fail as long as the boot hasn't been compromised and exposed to the elements.

Good luck!