Freaknificent

Dec 2, 2003
So it seems like i have a leak/hole in my exhaust. is it possible that that an exhaust shop can patch the hole or am i looking at a replacement?
i hate new england and road salt...
2002 nissan maxima 60,000 miles...

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Auto parts stores sell muffler/exhaust wrap stuff that works pretty well until it falls off.

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
The chances of a muffler shop patching an exhaust are inversely proportional to the level of income in the surrounding area.

I hope you have a ghetto pass.

funboy6942

Lifer
Nov 13, 2001
All depends on where the leak is at, keep in mind that the exhaust is a emissions part, and in most cases is covered outside your normal bumper to bumper warranty, and can be covered as much as 7 years or 75k, or more, depending on the maker. I HIGHLY suggest you whip out your owners manual and read it.

MOST people do not know that there are still warranties left past your bumper to bumper on alot of other parts, like paint, rust, emissions, restraints, and such, your owners manual should tell you what is still covered past B2B. But exhaust is a emissions part and the entire system should still be covered past normal BB, at least it is that way for Ford and Dodge, or was before 2000 when I was the service MGR for them.

OH and if the manual doesnt say or you dont have it, of course depending on the dealer they may tell you your out of luck, I would really check in on this. The dealership doesnt want you to know that you have a warranty after B2B and love it when people dont know these things and can charge you up the rear for the repairs that would of been covered. So look hard into it and call main HQ if you have to till you get a for sure 100% on what is covered past the B2B.

OH AND dont take it up the ass either, if they come back and say its due to road salt you tell them to pack it up their ass with sunshine because thats supposed to be stainless steel, it was to resist road salts, and hence the fvcking warranty in the first place ;) They give you crap call HQ on them, I promise you make a big enough stink on a covered part it will get taken care of, my customers used to do it all the time to me when I had to play hard ball till they finnaly made the call ;)

funboy6942

Lifer
Nov 13, 2001
The Exhaust Emission Warranty covers corrosion-related parts for 2 years/24,000 miles, plus 8 years/80,000 miles on the catalytic converter and any on-board diagnostic device. The Passenger Restraint Warranty covers seat belts and airbags for 5 years/50,000 miles.

Taken from here.

So there you go, take it to a exhaust shop and pray your cat converter has holes like swiss cheese or has come apart at the seams. Too bad though they pussed out on the rest of the exhaust warranty, they must of known they used crappy metal for the pipes :(

Black88GTA

Diamond Member
Sep 9, 2003
If there's just a hole rusted in one of the pipes...the $2 fix is a soup can, pipe clamps, and tinsnips. :) Or if a standard 2-bolt flange rusted and fell off, you can buy a new universal one at an auto parts store for $4.

If, however, a pipe rusted at a seam, then there's not much you can do except replace it. It could be that the entire system doesn't need replacement, and it's just one section that rotted out...but usually if one part rusts out then the rest isn't far behind.

Freaknificent

Dec 2, 2003
well i did a quick test by putting my hand over muffler pipe and it seems to be sputtering out from the muffler's seam... so maybe just a new muffler is in order. gonna see if i can deal with it until after winter and get one put on in nicer weather. will i harm my car by holding off on this?

funboy6942

Lifer
Nov 13, 2001
Na no harm will come of this, just going to get louder. That muffler tape they speak of I have tried it and it will shut it up at the seam, only a few bucks and your time, and some cops can be real dicks and give you a ticket for an improper exhaust so you may want to think of that ;)