YACT: why aren't stationwagons popular in the US?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mb

Lifer
Jun 27, 2004
I've got an SUV right now, and I'm gonna drive it till it dies, and after that I'll probably get a wagon of some sort.

Pacfanweb

Lifer
Jan 2, 2000
Originally posted by: yellowfiero
SUVs are stationwagons, basically.
Yep. They just sit up a little higher. About the same storage space as a full-size station wagon.....that is, if they made a full-size wagon anymore.

mb

Lifer
Jun 27, 2004
Originally posted by: Pacfanweb
Originally posted by: yellowfiero
SUVs are stationwagons, basically.
Yep. They just sit up a little higher. About the same storage space as a full-size station wagon.....that is, if they made a full-size wagon anymore.

Not exactly... I've been doing some research, and even the Volvo V70 doesn't come close to the amount of storage space that my mid-sized SUV has. Right now I need all that space, but hopefully once I settle down I won't.. at the very least I'm getting better gas mileage than I would with a pick up truck.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Gas prices are low enough that people can drive SUVs instead. For most people an SUV is an inferior purchase to a station wagon from a practicality standpoint, but in Europe gas prices are such that most people can't afford a 5000 lb vehicle. In the US gas is less of a consideration for many.

I have people question why we bought a minivan instead of an SUV, but the answer is simple: For an SUV to have the same cargo capacity you have to go full size. That's expensive in cost and gas. To buy an SUV more in our price range it's got absolutely no interior room at all, and yet many people opt for the smaller, more expensive SUV anyway. The reason is simply because it's not a minivan. Minivans are lame, boring, and only driven by people who've given up on life, right? I used to say it. Hell, I still believe it, but SUVs are sold by image, not by use (for 99% of people).

whistleclient

Platinum Member
Apr 22, 2001
people buy SUVs because they've been sold the image that SUV drivers are "individuals" and "adventurous"-- even though they're same as all the other SUV drivers and they have to slug to their stupid cubicle job day after day to afford them.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
I got in a debate with some chick once that you can't possibly fit 4 kids and a dog in a stationwagon and hence why she needed an Excursion. Yes, Excursion.

:confused:

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
We had a station wagon back in the 1980s. It was cool cause we took it on family vacations. There was plenty of room for our stuff and we had a tailgate that we could open up and use to make sandwiches for lunch. It was definitely a cool ride to cruise in back then....sorta like Natl Lampoon's Vacation.

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004
Because it doesn't waste enough gas and produce enough smok like a 4 ton SUV.

cavemanmoron

Lifer
Mar 13, 2001

Otaking

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2000
I have a 2001 A4 Avant and love it. :D

...and I hate SUVs, except for the Escape Hybrid. That's a sweet car. :thumbsup:

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Hey, what happened to your name? I remember the name Hayabusa Rider but I didn't know you two were the same person. :confused: