YACT: Which car to get...page with info...POLL

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: GtPrOjEcTX
to respond. these aren't my comments, the pros and cons are edmund's pros and cons, and "edmunds" is what their overall opinion is.

the reason i'm looking at these cars is that I'm looking to spend ~$11K-$14K on a relatively new, low mileage (20K or less) midsize or larger sedan and these are the only ones that edmunds brought back in that category.
Hah! You're in the same boat I was when looking for a <gag> minivan for my wife. After a LOT of research, it seemed like the Odyssey would be the one to buy, but one with 20,000 miles was only a few thousand less than a new one, and the new ones were $30,000.00! FVCK THAT!

Last year we paid $12,000 out the door for '99 Grand Marquis LS w/30K. Except for a brake squeal, it's been freakin' flawless. Only thing I don't like, is the stiff suspension and it's smallish interior. That's a midsize in my book, but no import and/or econobox has anything on this car at that price!

mAdD INDIAN

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: mAdD INDIAN
bump for the afternoon crowd.

but another thread has me thinking about trying to nab a loss leader...
Why not get a GrandPrix GTP (going by your nick).
while I do like the outsides of them the interior is crap. a plastic mold. bleech.

Get a '99 Maxima SE.

Fast, roomy, sweet interior, and very cheap.

mAdD INDIAN

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: Ornery

Last year we paid $12,000 out the door for '99 Grand Marquis LS w/30K. Except for a brake squeal, it's been freakin' flawless. Only thing I don't like, is the stiff suspension and it's smallish interior. That's a midsize in my book, but no import and/or econobox has anything on this car at that price!

Your saying a Grand marquis ha a stiff suspension??? :Q

Damn, I'd to hear what you'd have to say about a ride in a S14 240SX or a STi or such.

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Why in the hell would anybody want to feel every pebble in the road? My wife's car takes sweeping fast turns like it's on rails. I do like that, but it sure ain't necessary. I'm certain I could shadow her car on those same turns in my Town Car easy enough. So it leans a wee bit, who cares? :confused:

Edit: Nice gesture!

mAdD INDIAN

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Why in the hell would anybody want to feel every pebble in the road? My wife's car takes sweeping fast turns like it's on rails. I do like that, but it sure ain't necessary. I'm certain I could shadow her car on those same turns in my Town Car easy enough. So it leans a wee bit, who cares? :confused:

I've never been in a car where you can feel every pebble on the road. Actually, very few cars actually have systems like that.

I have been in Crown Vics and Grand Marquis, and they are more than soft enough for comfrotable driving.

rpc64

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2002
If you don't mind driving a "boat", Crown Vics are nice IMO. My parents had a 94 for a while and while I didn't really like maneuvering and parking it, it sure was a smooth ride. Had good power too.

GtPrOjEcTX

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001

Edit: Nice gesture!
well, it was. offer is still open to anyone who saw it.