YACT: What's the "check engine" light ussually mean?

Armitage

Banned
Feb 23, 2001
Came on in my 01 Tundra this morning ... of course, just as I'm getting ready to sell it. Oil pressure looks fine, temp looks fine, runs fine. Any ideas?

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003
Check the engine?

It could mean any one of numerous things. You need to take it somewhere to get the code read to diagnose it.

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
In almost all modern cars the "check engine" light does not actually mean "check engine", rather, it means, "something in the emissions system is wrong but we know that nobody cares about that so when there are emissions problems that have no effect on driveability we'll make a light come on that says "check engine" because it will panic people into having their car repaired even though there's nothing pressing".

Possibly a failed oxygen sensor or you need new spark plugs. If the engine misfires even once it can trigger that light.

ZV

LordJezo

Banned
May 16, 2001
In NJ if you have a newer car and you take it into inspection with that light on, you automatically fail.

:(

edro

Lifer
Apr 5, 2002
It is rarely anything serious. They are engaged by all the little sensors. It is usually a dirty air filter, dirty fuel filter, bad temperature sensor, dirty injectors, bad fuel pump, low steering fluid... etc.

I have never had one come back as being something more than $100 to repair.

ISAslot

Platinum Member
Jan 22, 2001
Originally posted by: LordJezo
In NJ if you have a newer car and you take it into inspection with that light on, you automatically fail.

:(

Take the bulb out ;)

shopbruin

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2000
Originally posted by: edro13
It is rarely anything serious. They are engaged by all the little sensors. It is usually a dirty air filter, dirty fuel filter, bad temperature sensor, dirty injectors, bad fuel pump, low steering fluid... etc.

mine cost me 300ish. dirty o2 sensor. of course i took it into the honda dealer... if you do it yourself then its a lot cheaper.

Armitage

Banned
Feb 23, 2001
I hit a rough patch on the way home last night, and it turned off again ... shrug.
I'm sure it will pop up the first time somebody test-drives it :eek:

CraigRT

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
could mean anything.. something electrical though, something with a sensor attached..

o2 sensor
airflow sensor
throttle sensor
coolant temp sensor

could simply be a bad reading, (bad sensor) or an actual problem.
my findings most of the time it's the o2 sensor, but don't just go with the average, it could be a lot of things :)

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
In my 1998 Volvo, it meant that the Volvo dealer needed more money. Basically it was a general service light, it came on at all the service intervals.

Haven't seen it come on in the Acura or the Lightning.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
it means that someone stole your engine!!

just put some electric tape over the light. there problem solved!

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Engines gonna blow, make peace with god immediately. Thats what it says in the manual that came with my car.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: freesia39
Originally posted by: edro13

mine cost me 300ish. dirty o2 sensor. of course i took it into the honda dealer... if you do it yourself then its a lot cheaper.
Bloody hell, man. Get it checked at autozone for free and the sensor is almost definitely less than $100. It's literally unplugging a connection and unscrewing, then rescrewing in the new sensor :)
300 for an O2 sensor? Somehow, that seems outrageous to me.
Probably $80 diagnostic fee and an hour labor.