YACT- What is better? DVC Subs or SVC Subs?? (more inside)

Nutdotnet

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 2000
I'm getting ready to purchase a sub/amp combo for my Jetta.

Back when I was into Car Audio DVCs weren't nearly as popular as they are today.

Here is what I am trying to figure out....

Option #1
2 10" DVC Subs
2-Channel Amp Bridged into 4 ohms (Running the DVCs in a Parallel/Series fashion)

Option #2
2 10" SVC Subs
Monoblock Amp ran two ohms

Option #3 ;)
2 10" SVC Subs
2-Channel Amp Bridged into 2 ohms....

What is a better route? Primarily looking at #1 and #2. I know #3 would put out the most wattage, but also is the hardest on the amp.

AND...any suggestions for subs and amp? Looking to spend less than $700 for subs, amp, box (10" Subs are not my only choice...I'm up for whatever)...I would REALLY like to spend $500 but I know that is asking a bit much. I like tight, punch bass. Not boomy.

Nutdotnet

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: derrickperry
DVC>all

go with 1, if not then 2.

You know, I was thinking that.

What if I went with a single 10, 12, or 15" DVC sub w/ a monoblock amp? This would bring it into a two ohm load correct?

95SS

Golden Member
Nov 30, 2003
DVC allows more flexible wiring options. Neither one is "better". Pick your subs based on the lowest impedance your desired amp can handle while remaining stable. That said, I would go with the mono amp. But there isn't much info on the subs, like impedance per coil. There are DVC 2 ohm subs as well as some DVC 8 subs. Just go with whatever draws the most power out of your amp.

Nutdotnet

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: 95SS
DVC allows more flexible wiring options. Neither one is "better". Pick your subs based on the lowest impedance your desired amp can handle while remaining stable. That said, I would go with the mono amp. But there isn't much info on the subs, like impedance per coil. There are DVC 2 ohm subs as well as some DVC 8 subs. Just go with whatever draws the most power out of your amp.

Well, I would be going with DVCs that have two 4ohm voice coils.

The price range that I am in have amps that "are not recommended" to be ran under 4-ohms for the 2-channel and 2-ohms for the monoblock...but probably COULD be run lower.

Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Nutdotnet

The price range that I am in have amps that "are not recommended" to be ran under 4-ohms for the 2-channel and 2-ohms for the monoblock...but probably COULD be run lower.

get dvc2-ohms

Oct 9, 1999

get dvc2-ohms

Oct 9, 1999

get dvc2-ohms

Nutdotnet

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 2000

get dvc2-ohms

You must feel this is important since you posted it three times! ;)

But....why get DVC2-ohms?

95SS

Golden Member
Nov 30, 2003

Cool, I'd say go with the monoblock, and throw either 2 SVC 4 ohm or 1 DVC-4 for a 2 ohm load. Pair quality woofers in a proper enclosure with good, clean power and you'll be in sub-bass heaven. :D

Edit - BTW, what subs and amps are you considering??

Nutdotnet

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 2000

Cool, I'd say go with the monoblock, and throw either 2 SVC 4 ohm or 1 DVC-4 for a 2 ohm load. Pair quality woofers in a proper enclosure with good, clean power and you'll be in sub-bass heaven. :D

That's what I'm leaning too......

So say, between 2 10" SVCs and 1 12" DVC what would be better? I know it's hard to say since I'm not stating brands but say they are equal brands (an Infinity Perfect 10.1 and an Infinity Perfect 12.1d)

Edit- I'm not sure about the subs and amp yet. I live in Alaska so really, Crutchfield is the best thing going (after shipping, most sites are more expensive than crutchfield). I'm leaning towards Infinity Perfect subs since they are on sale, and maybe an Alpine, Kicker, or RF (Crutchfield has ONE RF amp that is on sale, otherwise they don't appeal to me) amp.

Like I said, suggestions are welcome!

95SS

Golden Member
Nov 30, 2003

That's what I'm leaning too......

So say, between 2 10" SVCs and 1 12" DVC what would be better? I know it's hard to say since I'm not stating brands but say they are equal brands (an Infinity Perfect 10.1 and an Infinity Perfect 12.1d)

All things the same (which they never are :p), 2 10" should have more output than 1 12" based on cone area. You could get a nice setup for around $500, even better for $700. How much space do you have to work with, what type of vehicle, and will you do the work yourself?

Nutdotnet

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 2000
It's a 2001 VW Jetta

I have the entire trunk to work with

Yeah, I'll be doing the work myself.

Thanks!

95SS

Golden Member
Nov 30, 2003
Well, I know I'd like at least some trunk left for actual usage, and since SQ is an issue, I'd go with a single Brahma 12 from Adire Audio, in a well built (overbuilt) 1.5 cf net sealed enclosure, with about 400-600 watts of clean power. The Brahma is a little spendy, but it's one of the best subs on the market, not to mention the support is amazing. I'm currently running 1 Brahma 15 in 3.5 vented, tuned at 25hz, with 600 watts, and it is clean and loud.

Nutdotnet

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 2000
Well, I know I'd like at least some trunk left for actual usage, and since SQ is an issue, I'd go with a single Brahma 12 from Adire Audio, in a well built (overbuilt) 1.5 cf net sealed enclosure, with about 400-600 watts of clean power. The Brahma is a little spendy, but it's one of the best subs on the market, not to mention the support is amazing. I'm currently running 1 Brahma 15 in 3.5 vented, tuned at 25hz, with 600 watts, and it is clean and loud.

I've been looking at the Brahma line. So...what amp (and box) would you recommend?

I also pulled up this...

Image Dynamics IDQ15 D4 V.2 Subwoofer
Phoenix Gold Octane-R 5.0:1 Subwoofer Mono Amp
Q-Logic QLH-1.5015SE Subwoofer Enclosure

For $599.85.....then $35 for shipping from SoundDomain.com

Nutdotnet

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 2000
I think this is the setup I am going to go for. Pricewise it makes sense....

MTX Audio Thunder8000 T81544A Subwoofer $119.95
Phoenix Gold Octane-R 5.0:1 Subwoofer Mono Amp $319.95
Q-Logic QLH-1.5015SE Subwoofer Enclosure $79.95
$519.85

$555.80 Shipped

One thing I am trying to decide on is whether to go for the smaller box (1.5) or the bigger (2.25)....for my needs (punchy, deep bass...not really going for loud and booming) I am thing the smaller box would be better.

Edit- Nevermind...the amp isn't rated at what Sounddomain.com is rating it at... :( (it made it a good deal because I was able to get $90 of the sub by buying the amp).

3point14

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2003
Right now I am running a Perfect 12.1d off of a Sony XM-D1000P5. The sound is pretty good, but I am looking for 2 SVC. I would go more into depth, but I am kinda busy. I will PM ya a pic of my current set up. I will post some more info later as well.

Oct 9, 1999
sony amps arent bad, their speakers blow but their amps are actaully pretty nice.

alpine type r's are pretty decent for the money. i ran 2 mtx 6000 15s with a 2000w audiobahn amp and only had 250 going to each sub and that stuff took your breath away.

I also had a few pairs of solo barics but sold them:( get a kicker L7S10 sub, holds about 900-1200 watts and if you build the right box, and put about 650watts to it, it will get pretty loud....

i beleive if you get two DVC 2-ohm subs and wire them parallel for a 2-ohm load..thats the way I would go personally.

dare you to get mtx new 9500, get a 10" in that series, omfg it would rawk tha house.

AvesPKS

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
I've been out of the game for awhile, but I've got a Kicker ZR600 pushing 150w x 2 into 2 plain jane Rockford Fosgate 12"'s.

Nutdotnet

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 2000
sony amps arent bad, their speakers blow but their amps are actaully pretty nice.

alpine type r's are pretty decent for the money. i ran 2 mtx 6000 15s with a 2000w audiobahn amp and only had 250 going to each sub and that stuff took your breath away.

I also had a few pairs of solo barics but sold them:( get a kicker L7S10 sub, holds about 900-1200 watts and if you build the right box, and put about 650watts to it, it will get pretty loud....

i beleive if you get two DVC 2-ohm subs and wire them parallel for a 2-ohm load..thats the way I would go personally.

I was just thinking about get two dual 2-ohm subs and getting a monoblock.

I want to buy NOW...but I have so many options. I think I need to go to a car audio shop.

dare you to get mtx new 9500, get a 10" in that series, omfg it would rawk tha house.