YACT: What do you think of Celicas?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: bR
Yeah its not a bad car at all... peaky engines arent usually liked in here thats why since most people would much prefer the surge of torque during corner exit. I think motors like those are a lot of fun on a circuit since you're going to be pretty busy shifting... :p ...im a fan of high revving engines... :) ... but the car will be redesigned and i never did like it if i just bought a car and a new model just came out right after. But thats just me. :)

Actually i've heard toyota is gonna kill the celica and mr-s. There goes all of toyota's fun cars. Both those cars were too damn expensive new though. Like I said, I wanted to buy a new celica GT half a year back. A basic, manual one was freaking 17k. I bought my 2003 accord for 18k.

boyRacer

Lifer
Oct 1, 2001
Originally posted by: OS
Yeah its not a bad car at all... peaky engines arent usually liked in here thats why since most people would much prefer the surge of torque during corner exit. I think motors like those are a lot of fun on a circuit since you're going to be pretty busy shifting... :p ...im a fan of high revving engines... :) ... but the car will be redesigned and i never did like it if i just bought a car and a new model just came out right after. But thats just me. :)

Actually i've heard toyota is gonna kill the celica and mr-s. There goes all of toyota's fun cars. Both those cars were too damn expensive new though. Like I said, I wanted to buy a new celica GT half a year back. A basic, manual one was freaking 17k. I bought my 2003 accord for 18k.

...lol... yeah i still remember your thread... :p

i never knew that about the celica and mr2... why would they do that though? their lineup is already boring as it is... and they supposedly joined F1 to appeal to a younger market... to sell Camrys. ha.

Iilac

Oct 9, 1999
check out www.newcelica.org. That site is specific for the 7th gen celica. I think the celica is a great bargain used. I also like the older 2k-2k2 design better. The 2k-2k1 has tighter shift gates so it was alot more prone to misshifts. Toyota tried to stop it by lowering the rpm limiter and made wider shift gates in 2k2. But you can change the rpm limiter back to the 2k-2k1 level by changing the knock sensor and putting in the ecu from a 2k-2k1. In model year 2k3, they change back the rev limiter to it's orignal 8350 limit with the wider shift gates. The celica is a very capable car with a capable driver. You need to stay in vvtl-i range with each shift. Landing out of that range after each up shift will slow you down considerably. The car has seen 13's n/a with headers, cai, apexi pfc and drag radials so it's performance is comparable to the rsx type s.

Iilac

hans007

Lifer
Feb 1, 2000
well the ad campaign that came out with the new celicas. was "looks fast".

the gt is not that fast, hence looks fast. the s is probably pretty good. same engine that the new lotus elise will have.

the gt non s is the same engine as a corolla. might as well just get a corolla if its just gonn abe a daily driver.

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999

...lol... yeah i still remember your thread... :p

i never knew that about the celica and mr2... why would they do that though? their lineup is already boring as it is... and they supposedly joined F1 to appeal to a younger market... to sell Camrys. ha.

yeah, i was rather fond of the celica. :\

they're both too damn expensive. Sticker for an average mr-s is like 25k and for 20k for a celica GT. Why the hell those cars cost so damn much is beyond me, they both have corolla engines in them so the money definitely isn't going into the motor. Sticker for a GTS was also like 25k, which buys you a 6 speed v6 accord these days.

these days, toyota cars are boring as f*ck but they still make a freaking ton of money. Oh how the mighty have fallen, back in the mid/early 90s, toyota had a turbo coupe for everyone, the supra, the mr2, the celica. :(

Rent

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2000
Originally posted by: Actaeon
Originally posted by: RagingBITCH
Originally posted by: Actaeon
Originally posted by: RagingBITCH
In bone stock form, the SVT Focus would tear the Celica a new one on the autocross track. It's a peppy and hell of a lot of fun to drive car. I don't know how he'd get one for $12K unless it was used though. The Celica seems like a decent enough car but the only ones I see are driven by chicks or riced out by stupid teenage punks.

Yeah, he saw a 2002 for 12k. You sure about the autocross comparison? The Celica GT-S weighs 250lbs less, has more power, beats it acceleration wise, and brakes better. Also, since its a Ford, it will depreciate quicker, and as most people would say, Fords quality isn't on par with Toyota.

http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/comparison/articles/100452/page002.html

The SVT Focus is known for it's bad ass handling and suspension setup. Even djdrastic hit on that. And yes he might be right in the overall quality part of it - the Celica would get the edge there. It just depends on what your brother is looking for overall in the car.

Its no longer about my brother... its for me now :)

From both edmunds reviews, the stats say the Celica accelerates better and brakes better. Plus its 250lbs lighter. I know the Focus suspension is really good on the Hatchbacks, but I'm not quite sure if the SVT Focus would "tear the Celica a new one".

Without throwing an e-fit, GO DRIVE ONE. They handle like they're on rails. If you're buying used, make sure you take a look at the clutch/tranny housing and assembly, thats probably the biggest known issue with the SVT Focus. I'd take a FSVT or even a CSVT to a GTS 10 to 1, anyday of the week. And whoever compared the Celica to the Type-R needs a kick in the ass. While the dimensions aren't drastically different between the two cars, the Type-R is much more balanced. The only cars that come close to replicating its handling ability is the Mazdaspeed Protoge and the SVT Focus.

And speaking of Contour SVTs, you might take a look at them as well. More power, but its a bigger car. Its not a boyracer car, but more of a civilized roadcar. You can easily find one within your price range. Visit Contour.org if you want to get any more info about them. Just look at 99 and up, the 98s had 5 less hp.

I am biased against Celicas, I'll give you that. They just do not appeal to me at ALL. They're extremely hard to keep in VVTI and the shifter is super picky. Driving a Prelude is much easier, and thats saying something.

TRDGT

Mar 15, 2004
Hi There,
New to the forums, I have been visiting for about a month and this thread made me sign up!!
Being an owner of a 2000 Celica GT, I feel I can comment on this. Mine has 39k trouble free miles on it and driven daily too.
I do have some mods:TRD exhaust, TRD springs(1.5 drop), 17" BBS mesh wheels, Falken Zeix ZE512 tires(yes ultra high performance all seasons)in 225/45/17 Zrated.JDM TRD headlight covers.Oh yes and the biggest mod of course a JDM TRD shift knob.
Anyhoo, this car has been nothing but fun, it handles well, sounds great, looks great and a great weekend get-away car for my wife and I. It has also saved my life...I was hit in the pass side 2 years ago by a moron that ran a light at 40 miles an hour!!!. 10k damage to the car, 7 weeks in the body shop and she is as good as new.The Saturn did not fair as well TOTALED!!!! I am a big Toyota fan (wife has an 02 Highlander). I also belong to teamcelica.com, a somewhat local group of Celica fanatics, though I am the senior member(46 years old).I am also of the school of not liking the 04 facelift, the life of the Celica has not yet been determined by Toyota, rumors abound regarding the 8th generation.
A 02 should be in your price range, also regarding the "bad" engines on the GT-S, most of that is from kids downshifting from 6th to 2nd and ...well you can imagine. Toyota did give these people a new engine and then re-designed the gearbox and the rev limiter came into play also.
If you are looking for a fun, econimical, well built small sports coupe this would fill the bill.
I am longing for a new Solara SE Sport with the V6 though.
Thanx for the read, and if you need info please visit :teamcelica.com!
P.S. Yes it's 5-speed.

boyRacer

Lifer
Oct 1, 2001
Originally posted by: TRDGT
Hi There,
New to the forums, I have been visiting for about a month and this thread made me sign up!!
Being an owner of a 2000 Celica GT, I feel I can comment on this. Mine has 39k trouble free miles on it and driven daily too.
I do have some mods:TRD exhaust, TRD springs(1.5 drop), 17" BBS mesh wheels, Falken Zeix ZE512 tires(yes ultra high performance all seasons)in 225/45/17 Zrated.JDM TRD headlight covers.Oh yes and the biggest mod of course a JDM TRD shift knob.
Anyhoo, this car has been nothing but fun, it handles well, sounds great, looks great and a great weekend get-away car for my wife and I. It has also saved my life...I was hit in the pass side 2 years ago by a moron that ran a light at 40 miles an hour!!!. 10k damage to the car, 7 weeks in the body shop and she is as good as new.The Saturn did not fair as well TOTALED!!!! I am a big Toyota fan (wife has an 02 Highlander). I also belong to teamcelica.com, a somewhat local group of Celica fanatics, though I am the senior member(46 years old).I am also of the school of not liking the 04 facelift, the life of the Celica has not yet been determined by Toyota, rumors abound regarding the 8th generation.
A 02 should be in your price range, also regarding the "bad" engines on the GT-S, most of that is from kids downshifting from 6th to 2nd and ...well you can imagine. Toyota did give these people a new engine and then re-designed the gearbox and the rev limiter came into play also.
If you are looking for a fun, econimical, well built small sports coupe this would fill the bill.
I am longing for a new Solara SE Sport with the V6 though.
Thanx for the read, and if you need info please visit :teamcelica.com!
P.S. Yes it's 5-speed.

Cool. Glad you're happy with your car. :D

Toyota did cover blown motors on the first celicas... Honda didnt on the first RSXs. Ha! :p