YACT: Used Bimmers and sticks...

Tab

Lifer
Sep 15, 2002
Is there something about used BMWs I am unaware of? I've been looking for mid 90s used beamers and a lot of them are several grand above the estimated blue book price. What gives? I could understand someone selling there well maintained BMW maybe one or two grand above, but anything else is absurd. Unless, it's a extremely rare BMW but I am not looking at those!

Second, is it just me or is driving a stick highly overrated? Granted, I've only been driving a stick for a week in my friends Mazda Protege in town. Is there something I am missing? I can completely understand the need for a stick shift in a car you plan on racing with but otherwise it doesn't seem that exciting. I've had another friend who said that he noticed he like driving stick when he went back to an automatic. Anyone had a simaller experince?

Jun 4, 2005
If you know how to drive a stick, you can maximize performance and life-span of the vehicle. As for the extreme price; personal value? Over-pricing because of a name?

dirtboy

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
People often over price things in anticipation someone will offer them less.

wasssup

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2000
Originally posted by: LoKe
If you know how to drive a stick, you can maximize performance and life-span of the vehicle. As for the extreme price; personal value? Over-pricing because of a name?

I don't know about maximizing the life-span...today's automatics are honestly pretty damn good, it's nothing like the crap they had just a few years ago.

I drive a stickshift because I enjoy it, feels like I can better control it than an automatic.

Atheus

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2005
What do Americans mean by 'driving a stick', 'stick shift' etc. Is there another way to change gear except for a stick? Or do you just mean a manual transmition?

ROTC1983

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2002
Originally posted by: Atheus
What do Americans mean by 'driving a stick', 'stick shift' etc. Is there another way to change gear except for a stick? Or do you just mean a manual transmition?

Manual Transmition

clickynext

Platinum Member
Dec 24, 2004
For many people who like the act of driving itself, having a manual transmission and being able to control the acceleration of the vehicle that much more makes it more enjoyable.

EyeMWing

Banned
Jun 13, 2003

Yes, there is. Paddle style gearboxes, for instance.

clickynext

Platinum Member
Dec 24, 2004
Originally posted by: EyeMWing

Yes, there is. Paddle style gearboxes, for instance.

Or gremlins working in the gearbox. :)