YACT: Tuner or chip for better performance?

Shockwave

Banned
Sep 16, 2000
So, I need a bit more oomph in the Expedition. I'm undecided whether I should go with a Tuner which can reprogram the stock ECU or go with a plug in chip which overrides the ECU. I like the thought of the Tuner as it can read OBD codes and I can pick up the errors myself that way, but I like the thought of the chip as it has jumpers to select "on the fly" what performance setting I want ranging from stock to mild to max.
Any thoughts? Whats everyone use themselves, a ECU Tuner or a Chip?
Thanks.

Shockwave

Banned
Sep 16, 2000
No additional mods at this time. I do want a cat back and intake later on, maybe a upgraded MAF but that would probably be it.
Prices are roughly equal, around 300 either way.

My overall goal is +50 HP on a budget. I think a chip+intake+exhaust+MAF will get me close.

sillymofo

Banned
Aug 11, 2003
Then go with tuner, cuz each time you mod your car, you'll have to reprogram your ECU.

EDIT: That might sounded a little fubar, but it makes sense, because all you'll have to do is reprogram the ECU in according to the vehicle's current mods.

flot

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2000
I really doubt that you'd get 50 hp out of those mods... I don't know what engine is in there now, but unless it is seriously detuned, 50 horses is a lot to ask.

I think reasonably you could expect an honest 20-30 horses out of what you listed, but more than that would mean that you were correcting some significant detuning that was designed into the truck.

Don't get me wrong - it's a nice idea, but especially in a modern computer controlled engine, there just isn't that much wasted horsepower to be found.

Shockwave

Banned
Sep 16, 2000
Originally posted by: flot
I really doubt that you'd get 50 hp out of those mods... I don't know what engine is in there now, but unless it is seriously detuned, 50 horses is a lot to ask.

I think reasonably you could expect an honest 20-30 horses out of what you listed, but more than that would mean that you were correcting some significant detuning that was designed into the truck.

Yeah, I know that 50 is gonna be hard to get with those mods. I figure 30-40 is a bit more realistic if I went with all. I figure 20-25 from the chip/tuner, another MAYBE 10-15 from catback/intake/MAF

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003
Originally posted by: Shockwave
No additional mods at this time. I do want a cat back and intake later on, maybe a upgraded MAF but that would probably be it.

My overall goal is +50 HP on a budget. I think a chip+intake+exhaust+MAF will get me close.

50 hp with that combo? Yea right. You either have the 4.6 or the 5.4 - the supercharged 5.4 in the Lightning might see 50hp, but not a n/a 5.4. (or the 4.6)

40 would be pushing it too - I/E/MAF will get you maybe 10-15. A chip maybe about 10-15.

Shockwave

Banned
Sep 16, 2000
Originally posted by: RagingBITCH

50 hp with that combo? Yea right. You either have the 4.6 or the 5.4 - the supercharged 5.4 in the Lightning might see 50hp, but not a n/a 5.4. (or the 4.6)

KEV1N

Platinum Member
Jan 15, 2000
Don't bother-- that thing must be really heavy. And what use is it going to be adjusting the air/fuel maps without any change in airflow? Your gas mileage must be horrible as it is...

Shockwave

Banned
Sep 16, 2000
Originally posted by: KEV1N
Don't bother-- that thing must be really heavy. And what use is it going to be adjusting the air/fuel maps without any change in airflow? Your gas mileage must be horrible as it is...

2.5 tons. :)
Well, it'll give a bit more horsepower since factory settings are always a bit conservative, plus tighter up the shifting as well as raise shift points. Besides, if someones concern is milage, you dont drive an Expedition to begin with ;) Cause yes, my milage is horrible. :(

acemcmac

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
[flame suit on]

I don't understand why you want to squeeze "performance" out of something that's going to freaking roll like a bowling ball as soon as you hit a corner and handle like a waterbed in the meanwhile...

Its an SUV, didn't you buy it to TOW and move LOTS OF CRAP??? WTF do you need more pickup for? you're supposed to be hauling, not sentancing your engine to a 50k mile death!

You do know that they make cars with SUV engines right? you know, a fraction of the weight with RWD, awesome handling, sweet pickup and killer stock sound systems? all without the "bling-bling" of stupid rims and DVD players?

It's called a mustang... (or used camaro/firebird, etc)... It would have cost half as much and been just as reliable too... (the best part is that your freeloading friends can do what they should be doing in the first place... cram into the back seat or get their own freaking car :beer;)

Shockwave

Banned
Sep 16, 2000
Originally posted by: acemcmac
[flame suit on]

I don't understand why you want to squeeze "performance" out of something that's going to freaking roll like a waterbed as soon as you hit a corner...

You do know that they make cars with SUV engines right? you know, a fraction of the weight with RWD, awesome handling, sweet pickup and killer stock sound systems? all without the "bling-bling" of stupid rims and DVD players?

It's called a mustang... (or used camaro/firebird, etc)... It would have cost half as much and been just as reliable too... (the best part is that your freeloading friends can do what they should be doing in the first place... cram into the back seat or get their own freaking car :beer;)

You can take the suit off, its a valid question.
Reason is, I'm not your tyical suburban 25 y/o yuppie. I USE my 4WD. Mud snow n sand are viewed by me as a playground rather then hazardous driving.
In the interest of gas milage the Expo has 3.55's on it. And it gets decent highway milage too. But, when I get off the pavement those 3.55's dont do so well. In dirt or packed sand its fine, but in deep mud or even more so in deep sand it really starts to bog down. In deep sand I sure dont want to stop. If I hit it at a run she'll pull through put you can tell its startin to dog and workin hard. Hence, I want a bit more oomph for off-road / trailer settings more then having any grand visions of corvette like performance from a 2.5 ton SUV.

acemcmac

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
[flame suit on]

I don't understand why you want to squeeze "performance" out of something that's going to freaking roll like a waterbed as soon as you hit a corner...

Reason is, I'm not your tyical suburban 25 y/o yuppie. I USE my 4WD. Mud snow n sand are viewed by me as a playground rather then hazardous driving.
In the interest of gas milage the Expo has 3.55's on it. And it gets decent highway milage too. But, when I get off the pavement those 3.55's dont do so well. In dirt or packed sand its fine, but in deep mud or even more so in deep sand it really starts to bog down. In deep sand I sure dont want to stop. If I hit it at a run she'll pull through put you can tell its startin to dog and workin hard. Hence, I want a bit more oomph for off-road / trailer settings more then having any grand visions of corvette like performance from a 2.5 ton SUV.

That changes everything. As long as you don't have rims or a DVD player... you are absolved by me :beer:

please don't run me over... you expeditions shoot your headlights OVER my mustang
rolleye.gif

Shockwave

Banned
Sep 16, 2000
[flame suit on]

That changes everything. As long as you don't have rims or a DVD player... you are absolved by me :beer:

please don't run me over... you expeditions shoot your headlights OVER my mustang
rolleye.gif

Well, aftermarket large rims and offroading do NOT go hand in hand. And no DVD player either. Just the following
Tow package
Tow hooks
Load leveling suspension
Leather package with Captains chairs
Premium sound w 6 disc changer
Skid plate package
Posi-Trac
4X4
Ligthed running boards (My touch of non business luxury. I like those)
Heated outside mirrors
3rd Seat
Rear air

Pretty much fully loaded except heated leather. I HATE this. Leather is SO COLD in winter. :(

PowerMac4Ever

Banned
Dec 9, 2000
Eh, it's probably not worth it. In the end your car will be louder and you'll see maybe a 15hp peak horsepower increase. Not really worth the $$ imho.

Shockwave

Banned
Sep 16, 2000
Originally posted by: PowerMac4Ever
Eh, it's probably not worth it. In the end your car will be louder and you'll see maybe a 15hp peak horsepower increase. Not really worth the $$ imho.

Dyno sheets show the tuner to give around 20 HP, and the tuner optimizes for across the powerband and all throttle positions and not just WOT.

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999

i am not very familiar with trucks, but i was not aware a different MAF sensor gives any sort of gains.

you can get +50 hp on a budget with a nitrous kit. You're not gonna get those kinds of gain for cheap any other way.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
A different MAF sensor will allow more air through it. Different MAF = bigger MAF. I think the Ford guys like to use Cobra MAF's. I could be mistaken tho.

Shockwave

Banned
Sep 16, 2000
Originally posted by: NutBucket
A different MAF sensor will allow more air through it. Different MAF = bigger MAF. I think the Ford guys like to use Cobra MAF's. I could be mistaken tho.

:beer:

OS, think throttle body with MAF. Bigger = more air.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000

Imagine that, I know something about Fords:p I don't know too much about MAF's tho since my car has a MAP sensor instead. I do know that MAF sensors are expensive and seem to go bad easier then a MAP.

Shockwave

Banned
Sep 16, 2000

Imagine that, I know something about Fords:p I don't know too much about MAF's tho since my car has a MAP sensor instead. I do know that MAF sensors are expensive and seem to go bad easier then a MAP.

The Granatelli runs around 500 bones for the SUV's. Not cheap. But, they claim 10-20 RWHP from them. I assume thats with intake/catback type upgrades though. So, its a bit more expensive then the other upgrade options hence it would be lower down on my list. The chip/tuner is by and far the biggest bang for the buck so I'll probably start there. Probably go exhaust next so I can really enjoy that 5.4L rumble.

thedarkwolf

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
What is it they say? For every 100lbs you lose its like gaining 10hp. Break out the plasma cutter.