YACT: So I Bought A Car

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

freebee

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 2000
See, told you the Focus (euro version or otherwise) was a good car:). Congrats on the purchase.

<--I'm always driving the Ford products, so I've been looking forward to a a coupla days in a Mazda 3 also..as soon as I get one back in the fleet. Though one week, I did drive different color mazda 6s which was interesting. Confused the neighbors.

Cobalt

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2000
Originally posted by: freebee
See, told you the Focus (euro version or otherwise) was a good car:). Congrats on the purchase.

<--I'm always driving the Ford products, so I've been looking forward to a a coupla days in a Mazda 3 also..as soon as I get one back in the fleet. Though one week, I did drive different color mazda 6s which was interesting. Confused the neighbors.

Send a car my way. I started driver's ed this week. :D Look out world, come June.

Jan 31, 2002
Originally posted by: RossMAN
Originally posted by: GTaudiophile
How were you able to write a check for $20k?

Dayum!

LOL. Even 24 hours later, I find it amazing that I did! But in reality it's like writing any other check for a good or service.

Did that take a while to save up or are you my long lost brother? :p

We could be twins! :Q

Nah because we all know Honda > Mazda :p

In some ways, yes. Other ways, no. :)

Styling wise Mazda >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Honda

Price irregardless, the S2000 pwnz the snot out of the RX8 and Miata in terms of style IMO.

- M4H

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
The RX-8 would be pretty damned nice without the suicide-doors/backseat. The Miata is old. So I would agree, the S2K is one sexy machine...but it can't touch the new Porsche Boxster!

SuperSix

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: SuperSix
Which motor?

3S = 2.3L with a 5-speed MT

Hmmm..

One very bad thing about that motor is that no one has an oil filter for it. You have to take it to Mazda, or buy the filters from them ($11.00 ea).

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
Which motor?

Hmmm..

One very bad thing about that motor is that no one has an oil filter for it. You have to take it to Mazda, or buy the filters from them ($11.00 ea).

I have been studying this issue at Mazda3Forums.com, and members there have drawn up some detailed DIY instructions on changing the oil. That is no big deal since I am use to changing my own oil anyway. I always have. True, the filter should be bought from Mazda.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Nice lookin' car :)

I think you made the right choice, GT. Never buy more car than you really want.

But yeah, get rid of the bra (they damage the paint), and don't bother with those clear bras (they don't really work that well and look like ass up close).

CraigRT

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Which motor?

Hmmm..

That's pretty crappy.. I get Napa gold filters very cheap for my car, and they're decent.
I couldn't imagine taking my car to the dealership for an oil change :(

SuperSix

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Which motor?

Hmmm..

I have been studing this issue at Mazda3Forums.com, and members there have drawn up some detailed DIY instructions on changing the oil. That is no big deal since I am use to changing my own oil anyway. I always have. True, the filter should be bought from Mazda.

Can ONLY be bought from Mazda. Good thing you're a Do-it-yourselfer- there's a 3-4 week wait here in Tampa to get anoil change @ Mazda. (Only place that will do it).

COngrats!

TheLonelyPhoenix

Diamond Member
Feb 15, 2004
Originally posted by: MercenaryForHire

Dayum!

LOL. Even 24 hours later, I find it amazing that I did! But in reality it's like writing any other check for a good or service.

Price irregardless, the S2000 pwnz the snot out of the RX8 and Miata in terms of style IMO.

- M4H

Style-wise, RX8 > S2000 > Miata.

Pictures don't do it justice... when you see the RX8 in person it is absolutely beautiful. The rotary engine throws off a great sound too... not a whiny revving I4 or an obnoxious V8, but something unique.

SuperSix

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Why does the filter need to be purchased from Mazda?

Mazda STILL hasn't released the filter specs to other manufacturers, even after all the years this motor has been available. So... if you want someone else to change your oil -you HAVE to go to a dealer, or buy the filter, and take it somewhere. Clearly a violation of the Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act.

And even if you are a do-it-yourselfer, after you change it once, you will beg to be able to pay someone. a HUGE PITA.

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000

Mazda STILL hasn't released the filter specs to other manufacturers, even after all the years this motor has been available. So... if you want someone else to change your oil -you HAVE to go to a dealer, or buy the filter, and take it somewhere. Clearly a violation of the Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act.

And even if you are a do-it-yourselfer, after you change it once, you will beg to be able to pay someone. a HUGE PITA.

Bah! Peeps on that MZ3Forum change their own oil all the time. After the first time, it's painless...so they say.

Horus

Platinum Member
Dec 27, 2003
Originally posted by: TheLonelyPhoenix

Dayum!

- M4H

Style-wise, RX8 > S2000 > Miata.

Pictures don't do it justice... when you see the RX8 in person it is absolutely beautiful. The rotary engine throws off a great sound too... not a whiny revving I4 or an obnoxious V8, but something unique.

All I have to say is, wait for the 2006 RX-7. Then, say goodbye to the S2000, RSX-S, and just about anything else, competition-wise.

Turbocharged RENESIS, baby! The sound of a turboed rotary is music to my ears :)

SuperSix

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

Bah! Peeps on that MZ3Forum change their own oil all the time. After the first time, it's painless...so they say.

Sure - it can be done, it just sucks because of the work needed to get the useless "skid plate" off. And stock up on clips - they like to break too. :)

Farbio

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2000
nice choice gt - i got a 5 door 5mt in sunlight silver about 4 mos ago now, i love it

the bra does suck for the most part, keep it for when you do long road trips and put it on then. the paint is notoriously bad against bug guts, so its nice to have the extra protection for long highway stints
that said, enjoy!

Feb 10, 2000

I find the RX8 styling a little unwieldy, though not TOO bad. It's a shame the engine uses so much oil and gets rather poor mileage.

TheLonelyPhoenix

Diamond Member
Feb 15, 2004
Originally posted by: DonVito

I find the RX8 styling a little unwieldy, though not TOO bad. It's a shame the engine uses so much oil and gets rather poor mileage.

Yeah. :(

mwtgg

Lifer
Dec 6, 2001

- M4H

'Irregardless' isn't a word. :D

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000

Probably because the aftermarket manufacturers haven't started making them yet. Mercedes uses the same style filter AFAIK and those are available at autozone.

BeauJangles

Lifer
Aug 26, 2001

Dayum!

- M4H

Disregarding price, the Konisegg CCR pwnz the snot out of the RX8 in terms of style.