YACT: Slightly modded 240sx -> stock E36 M3?

atom

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 1999
First off my current car is a slightly modded 1996 240sx (no engine mods, all suspension). I like the car a lot right now, especially the handling, but it could definitely use 30 more HP at least to make me totally satsified.

Anyways, saw a E36 M3 in the classifieds, $13k 1997 with about 55k miles. Totally stock, except for a set of Hamann wheels (which are totally sweet....). The color and interior is exactly like my dream E36, Estoril Blue with gray leather interior. The seller is moving back to the UK so he needs to sell ASAP. The guy was totally on the level, he admitted he took the car to the track quite a few times and it definitely wasn't babied.

The thing that really kills it for me is that if I were to sell my current car, I'd basically lose all the money spent on the mods which totals a little over 2k. Plus the M3 was beat on, it runs great now but it's likely to need fixing later on and BMW's aren't exactly cheap to fix unlike my current car.

So what should I do? :confused:

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: atom
First off my current car is a slightly modded 1996 240sx (no engine mods, all suspension). I like the car a lot right now, especially the handling, but it could definitely use 30 more HP at least to make me totally satsified.

Anyways, saw a E36 M3 in the classifieds, $13k 1997 with about 55k miles. Totally stock, except for a set of Hamann wheels (which are totally sweet....). The color and interior is exactly like my dream E36, Estoril Blue with gray leather interior. The seller is moving back to the UK so he needs to sell ASAP. The guy was totally on the level, he admitted he took the car to the track quite a few times and it definitely wasn't babied.

The thing that really kills it for me is that if I were to sell my current car, I'd basically lose all the money spent on the mods which totals a little over 2k. Plus the M3 was beat on, it runs great now but it's likely to need fixing later on and BMW's aren't exactly cheap to fix unlike my current car.

So what should I do? :confused:

You'll never get the money you spend in mods back out of a car. I learned that a long time ago.

My suggestion would be to have a good BMW mechanic look the car over before you buy it. Other than that those E36 M3s are hella fast and as long as it is in good shape and was well maintained it should serve you well.

They are expensive to repair though and if you have any problems with it down the road you can expect it to cost even more because of the M badge on the trunk lid.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
One other suggestion, I would check with BMW and make sure it is a real M3 and not just a rebadged 3 series. It's not real difficult to do and unless you've actually driven an M3 (I have) you might not realize that.

boyRacer

Lifer
Oct 1, 2001
wow what a tempting price... :Q

13k would usually give you double that mileage... hmmm... i would take it. :p

atom

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 1999
Well, got off the phone with the guy and I'll be going down to BMW of San Francisco with some other prospective buyers so we can all get an idea of the car's condition straight from the dealership's mechanic. The fact that I'm going with other prospective buyers worries me though, I don't wanna get into some crazy bidding war for the car.............

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: atom
Well, got off the phone with the guy and I'll be going down to BMW of San Francisco with some other prospective buyers so we can all get an idea of the car's condition straight from the dealership's mechanic. The fact that I'm going with other prospective buyers worries me though, I don't wanna get into some crazy bidding war for the car.............

Then don't. Still, if it checks out you may want to have cash in hand.

boyRacer

Lifer
Oct 1, 2001
Well even if it has been trashed... maybe the owner knows how to take care of his car... good luck man... nice car... the E36 is my favorite M3... then... E30... then the E46... :heart:

tweakmm

Lifer
May 28, 2001
Originally posted by: boyRacer
Well even if it has been trashed... maybe the owner knows how to take care of his car... good luck man... nice car... the E36 is my favorite M3... then... E30... then the E46... :heart:
E36 > E46 > *. I realise that the E30 is a nice car but it just doesn't do it for me like the later model M3s do. But oh, the later model M3s...:heart: