YACT: Quick question about brakes.

dxkj

Lifer
Feb 17, 2001
This is just a quick, "im curious why this happens" Question.

When its rainy out, or I drive through a lot of water, etc, my breaks become a lot more sensitive.

I mean they grab much quicker for the same amount of pressure on the pedal, and lock up at WAY less pressure than it would normally take. I think I only notice because I usually have to give it a good amount of pedal to brake extremely fast.

Thanks!

EyeMWing

Banned
Jun 13, 2003
They're grabbing less road and more water. The water lets the tires slow down faster due to it's fluidity. Ultra-heavy-vehicle++

dxkj

Lifer
Feb 17, 2001
Originally posted by: EyeMWing
They're grabbing less road and more water. The water lets the tires slow down faster due to it's fluidity. Ultra-heavy-vehicle++

That doesnt make sense to me. More water = the brakes engage quicker? If you mean what I'm viewing is a traction issue, vs how my brakes are functioning issue, you are wrong. A quick tap of the brakes slow me down quick, vs when its dry, a quick tap of brakes does jack squat.

Soybomb

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2000
"grabbing" quicker is probably all mental, you lock them up easier because there is less traction between you and the road from the water, just like if you were driving on ice or snow.

dxkj

Lifer
Feb 17, 2001
Originally posted by: Soybomb
"grabbing" quicker is probably all mental, you lock them up easier because there is less traction between you and the road from the water, just like if you were driving on ice or snow.

That's what I thought at first too.... I thought it was mental, because I noticed the lockups. But now that I know to push lighter after its rained, etc, they don't lockup, I just break way faster.

/shrug maybe I am losing my mind, but I had tested it a few times just to make sure.