YACT: Power Windows Problem

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
There was a couple threads on this, but not the answers I'm looking for.

Car: 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix SE (4-door)

My power windows don't seem to work. Three of the four will slide down from the vibration of driving (they only slide a 1/4 of an inch or so each drive). They go down when you push down on the buttons but won't go back up unless you do it manually (physically get out of the car and push them up). It seems like they are off the track, but to have three of them do it at the same time, I think it may have something to do with electronics or motor. (The fourth window may do it as well, but I'm afraid to see if it works).

My main question is where would I take it? Body shop? General mechanic? Dealership? (I'm trying to avoid dealership because of the boost in cost).

Any ideas on what it might be and the cost associated? I'm gonna have to bring it in (as soon as i know where) but if anyone has an idea based on past experiences on what the cost may be, let me know.

Any help is appreciated.

Leetman

Golden Member
Aug 12, 2002
This was happening with the drivers window on my Benz about 2 months ago, was the electric motor for the window.

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
Originally posted by: minendo
Blown fuse(s) or dead power window motors.

Kinda what i thought. I haven't actually checked the fuses yet. (i know, i know). Thanks for the info guys.

Any idea who would replace the motor if that was it?

Leetman

Golden Member
Aug 12, 2002
I went to dealership, its probably your best bet for replacing a part like that.

minendo

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2001
Originally posted by: pyonir

Kinda what i thought. I haven't actually checked the fuses yet. (i know, i know). Thanks for the info guys.

Dealer would, but the motors themselves are far from cheap.

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
Originally posted by: pyonir

Dealer would, but the motors themselves are far from cheap.

again, thanks for the responses from both of ya.

yeah i just looked up the motors on napa auto parts. $93 each for a right and left side motor!? :Q DAMN!

Ime

Diamond Member
May 3, 2001
My old '98 Firebird had that problem on the passenger's window. Turned out to be a malfunctioning motor.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Yeah, but I find it hard to believe that 3 of the motors (and possibly the 4th) would have started malfunctioning at the same time....

And, I'll bet you'll find plenty of garages who'll be willing to replace those motors for you if you suggest it. It sounds like the solution is probably an easier one. I helped replace one when I was younger, but can't remember much about how to do it. I'd suggest a google search or something to find out how they operate. Maybe that'll give you some insight as to what the problem is.... could hitting a large bump have jarred something loose in each of them? Good luck.

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
replacing the motor shouldnt be hard. But look for fuses first. Which window have you not tried yet?

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
Originally posted by: iamwiz82
replacing the motor shouldnt be hard. But look for fuses first. Which window have you not tried yet?

the back passenger side.

I hope it isn't the motors...I don't remember hitting any large bumps or anything though. I'm gonna take a look at the fuses tonight.

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
I just took a look at the owners manual online (my car didn't come with one :roll;) and it says there is a power window circuit breaker. I hope that is the problem.

Heisenberg

Lifer
Dec 21, 2001
Definitely check out the circuit breaker. It's next to impossible that three power window motors would go out at the same time on a car that's only 3 years old.

Check for power at the eletrical connector on the window regulator inside the door, if the regulator is not recieving power, you have either a blown fuse, a bad circuit breaker or a popped fusible link.

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Roger
Check for power at the eletrical connector on the window regulator inside the door, if the regulator is not recieving power, you have either a blown fuse, a bad circuit breaker or a popped fusible link.

I have no idea how to remove the interior shell of the door. :eek:

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
The pontiac site doesn't have information on removing door panels and the like. I'd looked there.

Thanks for info everyone, and ideas. I'm gonna try and replace the circuit breaker first and go from there.

Heisenberg

Lifer
Dec 21, 2001
Clubgp.com has a forum for problems. You might try posting your problem there and see if anyone has any ideas. I have a 99 GTP but I haven't had any reason to tear into the door yet, so I can't really give any instructions.

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Roger
I meant for you to go to the dealership to have it fixed ;)

:p Gotcha...Thanks Roger ;)

Heisenberg...thanks for the link! I'll check it out if the breaker isn't the problem.

Quixfire

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2001
From you description I find hard to believe that three out four window motors would go bad at the same time. I used to see similar problems on Ford vehicles and it was a bad ground circuit in the master (drivers door) switch.

Good luck at the dealership.

Ryan

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
Sounds like the window regulator ;) If that's not it, the cause of your problem is that you bought a pontiac.

Heisenberg

Lifer
Dec 21, 2001
Originally posted by: rbloedow
Sounds like the window regulator ;) If that's not it, the cause of your problem is that you bought a pontiac.
Yes, because we all know that GM cars are total pieces of crap and foreign cars never break down and always smell nice.
rolleye.gif

Ryan

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
Originally posted by: Heisenberg
Originally posted by: rbloedow Sounds like the window regulator ;) If that's not it, the cause of your problem is that you bought a pontiac.
Yes, because we all know that GM cars are total pieces of crap and foreign cars never break down and always smell nice.
rolleye.gif

No, just Pontiacs ;)

flot

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2000
From the description, I don't see any evidence that this is an electrical problem. Or at least, if there IS an electrical problem, there is a more pressing mechanical problem that you should solve first - which is "why are the windows moving down during normal driving?"

Check for pontiac TSBs or try to find a pontiac message board, etc.