YACT: Possible rod knocking

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
I have a five speed manual 1995 Mazda 626 with an inline four engine and all of the sudden when I'm heading home from work, the car starts getting really jerky. I thought that I might have a flat tire, so I got out and checked and it's okay. As soon as I stepped out of the car, I smelled gas.

So I play around with it, trying to rev the engine up a bit, and it seems to get smoother as the RPMs increase, and it's much worse at lower RPMs. At idle (Around 700RPM), it's jerky as hell. I can feel it in the pedals, especially the brake, and also in the shifter.

I just had an oil change the other day.

There is a tapping sound, but I can't really hear where it's coming from. I'd say it's about five times per second at idle.

Any thoughts?

canadageek

Dec 28, 2004
no idea.....my car would jerk like hell any time i got near 3k RPM...turned out i didn't have a functional alternator all the time, and was running out of juice :p

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Originally posted by: Colt45
the tapping is probably just a lifter.

How serious is that? Is it something that I need to get fixed immediately? I work nights, so if I need to get work done at the Space Center's garage, I'm going to have to move on to day shift for a day to let them work on it.

RedArmy

Platinum Member
Mar 1, 2005
It could also be valve lash.

.02 cents

Edit: That would only be for the sound, for the actual reason the car might be acting up, it could be a billion things, if you say you smelled gas I'm thinkin fuel system or something around the intake manifold relating to the vacuum. Still, it could be a bunch of other things though, really hard to troubleshoot when the car isn't in front of you

Cdubneeddeal

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2003
Lifters are usually caused by wrong viscosity of oil or low on oil. If you had a rod knock, you would know it.

In the pedals, brake, and shifter you're describing..is that suspension you're feeling or engine compression?

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Originally posted by: Cdubneeddeal
Lifters are usually caused by wrong viscosity of oil or low on oil. If you had a rod knock, you would know it.

In the pedals, brake, and shifter you're describing..is that suspension you're feeling or engine compression?

I think it's the engine. It's directly related to the noise.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
I'm convinced it's the spark plug now. It just seems like one of them isn't firing.