YACT POLL: Domestic vs. Import on APPEARANCE ONLY.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Don't be silly and start arguing which is "better" in terms of power, reliability, etc. but which overall looks better? Honestly I have to pick domestic, because the new dodge magnum, mustang GT, and the chryslter crossfire to me look better than any import I can currently think of (exotics notwithstanding, obviously). Japanese cars at least are too rounded off and boring looking.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
The New Mustang is fvcking sadistically ugly, and no that is not sarcasm. Ford ruined it. I've honestly got to vote import here(wtf).

The new mustang is ugly as sin. The magnum leaves much to be desired, unless you are an old gangster wanting to revisit the past.
The crossfire is a rip off of all other existing designs.

Domestic companies are trying to design cars to appeal to the crowd going through their second mid-life crisis.
This won't get them very far.

geno

Lifer
Dec 26, 1999
As far as new cars go? Domestic. Many import cars look flat out boring and cookie cutter-ish (i.e. Hondas, most Toyotas) while some companies are embracing flat out ugly signiture looks (Nissan, Mitsubishi)... If you had asked this question a decade ago, gorgous cars like the RX-7, 300ZX, and Supra would've gotten a vote for the Import side, but alas, they're dead :(

Domestics win for now

Doggiedog

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
Mercedes has been making some nice looking cars lately. Maybe except the SLR and the C coupe.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Domestic companies are trying to design cars to appeal to the crowd going through their second mid-life crisis.
I'm getting old, so maybe it's working :)

DougK62

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2001
Domestics. Import styling has gotten weird. There are not many imports that appeal to me as a complete visual package. I usually like one part of the car and that's it. Like the new Maxima - from behind and in profile it looks gorgeous, then wtf happened to the front?

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
Some domestics look good.

Most imports look good.

<---- likes the styling on his Mazda 6 ;)

BatmanNate

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
I think it depends. Most japanese cars are boring looking. albeit not all. If you mean imported like Italian or German, there are some nice looking cars there. Most domestic economy/family/boring old sedan cars are as boring as their japanese counterparts, but the new Mustang looks nice, the Vette looks nice, and of course the Viper and some of it's newer and older cousins. Japan had some good looking cars during the late 80's early 90's as well.

maziwanka

Lifer
Jul 4, 2000
i think ill have to go with domestics here (viper, corvette, mustang, ...). but there are some great looking imports out there too.

CraigRT

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
I like both equally.. I can't honestly say imports are just better looking... too vague or something.. :p
there are some wicked looking Domestics...

Jeff7181

Lifer
Aug 21, 2002
Maybe I just haven't seen many lately (or rather, taken a good look), but imports don't seem to have many new designs. To be quite honest, Honda and Toyota are the same cars to me. I don't see a significant difference between the designs. On the other hand, it's pretty hard to mistake a Marauder for a Grand Prix, or a GTO for a Mustang.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
in 2003 it would have been import, no doubt. but then the maxima got ugly.

Asharus

Oct 6, 2001
Just think of the ratio. How many domestics are there? How many actually look good?

OTOH, how many imports look bad?

geno

Lifer
Dec 26, 1999
how many imports look bad?

If you inclide "boring" in the term "bad", then a lot of Japanese ones qualify, that's for sure.

In the "Ugly" corner:
Honda Element
Toyota Echo
Mitsubishi Galant (the newer one)
Toyota Echo
Mitsubishi Endeavor
Acura MDX
Maxima
Nissan Sentra (uglier than it was with this new revision)
Nissan Pathfinder Armada/Infiniti QX56
Toyota MR2/Celica (maybe not the ugliest cars, but they're disgraces to their previous generations)
Mitsu Eclipse (same as above)

And in the boring corner:
Accord
Civic
Pilot
Camry
Corolla
Lancer
Diamante

The list goes of poor design efforts goes on and on. Don't get me wrong, there's plenty of ugly domestics running around, but the way I see it there's more "bad" designs coming from the import side at the moment. I'm by no means Anti-Japenese cars, but in recent years their styling has gotten either boring or too bold. I give much credit for Mazda for making some sexy and different cars (the 6, the 3, RX-8, hell even the Protege looks nice). I miss cool japanese cars like the Toyota MR2, Mitsubishit Eclipse (pre '00), Infiniti J30, S15 240SX, Mid-late 90's Celicas, even older Civics and Accords' designs overshadow the newer bland blobs that have replaced them.

virtueixi

Platinum Member
Jun 28, 2003
Name one GOOD looking import for around 25K.....most of you guys that say imports look better probably own hondas. BTW there is NO good looking honda, and yes the S2000 is ugly.

geno

Lifer
Dec 26, 1999
Originally posted by: virtueixi
Name one GOOD looking import for around 25K.....most of you guys that say imports look better probably own hondas. BTW there is NO good looking honda, and yes the S2000 is ugly.

now way! :p I :heart: The S2K :D

thedarkwolf

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
There are very few asian imports that look good and a few german ones look good. Just about every single car Dodge makes rightnow I think looks great, Ford's new stuff looks pretty nice, GM really only has a few that I like the Pontiac Solstice is awsome.

brtspears2

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2000
They are both good, each side has lame and ugly cars. That 03 Maxima, doesn't look anything close to the older models.

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001

Acura RSX
Black Accord EX coupe with 6-cyl and 6-speed.
Mazda 6s
Altima

Jan 31, 2002
Originally posted by: conjur

Acura RSX
Black Accord EX coupe with 6-cyl and 6-speed.
Mazda 6s
Altima

Don't forget the Mazda3 ;)

- M4H