YACT: New radiator for the stang...*Update* 3rd choice added.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SuperSix

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Will you be upgrading the cooling fan system as well?

Originally posted by: Insane3D
It's not so much that I need more cooling, as much as I'm going to have my entire cooling sytem taken apart and plan on replacing the aging radiator I have now before it leaks down the line. I don't overheat or anything, but the engine is modified, and I tend to get things that might be a bit overkill now, bit might work out being a good choice down the line. I also would like a aluminum radiator for it's better cooling properties, resitance to corrosion, and lighter weight.

:)

Insane3D

Elite Member
May 24, 2000
Originally posted by: SuperSix
Will you be upgrading the cooling fan system as well?

It already has been to a degree. The radiator that is in there is a step above stock, I replaced my stock water pump with a nice Edelbrock high pressure unit, switched the stock 195F thermostat with a 180F one, and I've replaced the fan clutch. I could go with an electric fan, but it's not really worth the cost/trouble, and since I'm pulling my A/C system, don't have an air pump anymore, and run underdrive pulleys, the parasitic drag is not really an issue.

In addition to the new radiator, I'll probably be picking up the Ford Racing Silicone hose kit that came on the police package stangs...

TechnoKid

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2001
Fluidyne (with a surge tank setup). Might as well go all the way and put in/design a surge tank setup for the cooling system. Heck, get an electric water pump, and an electric fan too, but maybe that'd be too much overkill :D.

But seriously, I'd get either of the aluminum core/end tanks over the plastic/metal ford unit, although, the plastic end tanks could make the radiator easier to rebuild and clean the core. But that is also its weak point.

What kind of hose clamps are you planning on using? Constant-torque ones are nice, I think they use them in aviation stuff, but they are expensive from what I recall; a heckuva lot more than your average worm-drive ones. The silicone hoses are a great idea. Since you are using silicone hoses, you may want to think about getting come T-Bolt hose clamps; they seal much better than worm drives using the same tightening torque. If you do use worm driven ones, make sure they are lined so the gears don't have an opportunity to cut into the hose. The thing about worms are that they cannot expand/contract with the hose; constant torque and t-bolt can, at least that is what I gather from 5 minutes of google researching.

edit: Breeze Clamps

Insane3D

Elite Member
May 24, 2000
Thanks for the reply. I would never bother rebuilding the radiator if it went, I would just get a new one, so that's not a concern. I like the Fluidyne as well, but the Summit one looks similar for $80 less. As for the hoses, I am getting the Ford Racing Silicone hose kit, and it comes with special clamps for the silicone hoses.

As for the water pump and fan, I would rather have mechanical on both of those. I already have pretty much the top end water pump in there now (Edelbrock), and it's only a couple years old. Electric fans are ok, but the mechanical fan with a properly working fan clutch doesn't really put a lot of drag on the motor, and I am removing the A/C system, and thr air pump is gone, so there is not too much to begin with.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
In light of the 3rd choice, I'd go with that one.

Insane3D

Elite Member
May 24, 2000
Originally posted by: Eli
In light of the 3rd choice, I'd go with that one.

Yeah, yeah...but what kind of oil should I get, and what are the various ratings of them? :p

Eli

Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: TechnoKid
Fluidyne (with a surge tank setup). Might as well go all the way and put in/design a surge tank setup for the cooling system. Heck, get an electric water pump, and an electric fan too, but maybe that'd be too much overkill :D.

But seriously, I'd get either of the aluminum core/end tanks over the plastic/metal ford unit, although, the plastic end tanks could make the radiator easier to rebuild and clean the core. But that is also its weak point.

What kind of hose clamps are you planning on using? Constant-torque ones are nice, I think they use them in aviation stuff, but they are expensive from what I recall; a heckuva lot more than your average worm-drive ones. The silicone hoses are a great idea. Since you are using silicone hoses, you may want to think about getting come T-Bolt hose clamps; they seal much better than worm drives using the same tightening torque. If you do use worm driven ones, make sure they are lined so the gears don't have an opportunity to cut into the hose. The thing about worms are that they cannot expand/contract with the hose; constant torque and t-bolt can, at least that is what I gather from 5 minutes of google researching.

Oh no, now you've done it.

Now I'm going to spend a bunch of money I don't have on fancy fscking hose clamps.

:p :D

thedarkwolf

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
I still say this one. :). Search around on one of the mustang forums and see what all they are using. Thats almost identicle and way cheaper. Think most of the people even squeeze in the wider 30inch version. Think you just have to bend the a/c lines a bit

Eli

Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: thedarkwolf
I still say this one. :). Search around on one of the mustang forums and see what all they are using. Thats almost identicle and way cheaper. Think most of the people even squeeze in the wider 30inch version. Think you just have to bend the a/c lines a bit
Hmm.. He's taking the A/C stuff out, so that shouldn't be an issue.

That radiator is much different dimension wise than the "direct fit" ones.

19" x 27.375" x 2.875"
vs
18" x 28.75" x 3" ... for the "direct fit".

So I guess he would have to do some research, see what's involved, and decide if doing the necessary modifications himself is worth ~150$....

And then there's always the satisfaction of doing something yourself. ;)

Maybe there are readily available kits to install the different radiator, that would end up being less than the direct fit?

Seems kinda weird I guess, but hey.. money saved is money saved. Ultimately, the new radiator would be better than even the direct fit, too. But I'm not sure how that works or is measured.

Insane3D

Elite Member
May 24, 2000

Yeah, like Eli said, the A/C system is coming out...

I like the price of that one, but I'm worried about how it fits. On something like a radiator I would prefer direct fit. I wonder why that one is so much cheaper than the direct fit one?

Edit:

What Mustang forums should I check out? This is pretty much the only forum I visit...

Eli

Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Insane3D

Yeah, like Eli said, the A/C system is coming out...

I like the price of that one, but I'm worried about how it fits. On something like a radiator I would prefer direct fit. I wonder why that one is so much cheaper than the direct fit one?

Edit:

What Mustang forums should I check out? This is pretty much the only forum I visit...
My first guess would be simply because it ISN'T direct fit, but it would kinda suck if it was due to either craftsmanship or materials.. or both.

I agree with the Stang forums direction.. We people here, well.. we just dun know. ;)

Insane3D

Elite Member
May 24, 2000
I will check those out. I was looking at the 30" one, but the inlet and outlet are switched and on the wrong sides. One other thing, on the Summit one you linked, it has no drain petcock. It's not a huge deal, but that would be a pain just having to pull the lower hose...

thedarkwolf

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
doesn't look like it has a trans cooler but if you a man you have a manual anyway ;). An external one would be better anyway.

Insane3D

Elite Member
May 24, 2000
doesn't look like it has a trans cooler but if you a man you have a manual anyway ;). An external one would be better anyway.

Nope. I have a manual, so no need for tranny cooling. I would like a drain though...

I am checking out the Corral now, and people are saying the Summit/Griffins need modifications to fit....like hammering the lower suport. I'm not too big on that...

Insane3D

Elite Member
May 24, 2000
Well, posted on the Corral forums, and I got a few replies. It seems a lot of people like the 31" x 19" Griffin, but it also has no drain, and I'm not sure how much modification it requires to install. Also, it seems a lot of people don't use the stock fan setup and have converted to electric fan setups from Tauruses?

TechnoKid

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Eli
Originally posted by: TechnoKid

Oh no, now you've done it.

Now I'm going to spend a bunch of money I don't have on fancy fscking hose clamps.

:p :D

but hey! they are reeeeeeeeally good...:p The good stuff to do it right in the first place is never cheap.

There is a company that makes titanium clamps, yes, thats right, titanium. But they are of the regular screw mechanism type. Titan hose clamps