YACT: my Rav4 (again)

sash1

Diamond Member
Jul 20, 2001
Well, as I've posted about before, my Rav4 had a problem with the rod bearing.

Anyway, a good friend of mine at work, works on cars and his brother is a mechanic. I took it to him and had him take a look at it this week.

The original diagnosis from AAA and the Toyota dealership was that I needed a new engine, and that was going to run me $4,000 if I let the dealership or AAA do it. Well, being a poor kid with college loans on the way, that wasn't going to happen.

Anyway, turns out it didn't need a new engine, it was fine. I'm not a car guy, but it was an oil problem and the rod bearing was indeed a little worn down. Anyway, the guy replaced the bearings and fixed up my oil leak, whatever and he ran it tonight and said it was fine. Going to go pick it up tomorrow.

He charged me $600 for the whole thing. If he was going to replace the engine, he would have only charged me $1,700 (obviously a lot better than 4 grand).

w00t :) picking up my car tomorrow. it's friday night, time to go get drunk! :beer:

/me is in a good mood now

miniMUNCH

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2000
I never let the dealer touch the car after the warranty expires. Why? Dealers are some of the biggest crooks in any repair business and their mechanics generally suck ass.

I have found Toyota dealers to be especially bad in my experience.