YACT: Lets talk about Seafoam

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jmolayal

Apr 21, 2001
So...

I'm back and forth about what to do here.. Sounds like a lot of you like the product.. Is my car too new to use it still?

Also, any advice on locating the brake booster line? Thanks for the tips and advice. I appreciate it!

- Jaison

jupiter57

Diamond Member
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus
Originally posted by: Aimster
Can I use this on a BMW?

The manual says to never use this stuff, but it also says to never change the transmission fluid.

If the manual says to never use this then I would go with what the manual says. Otherwise you might be replacing an engine in a few months.

Well, the Manual also says to use ONLY Genuine BMW products! Anti-Freeze, Oil Filters, spark plugs, glass cleaner, upholstery cleaner, door lock lubricant, etc, etc.!

Why would they tell you to clean your own internal engine parts for $6 when I am sure they would be glad to do it manually for $1500-$2500?
If you own a BMW, it spends enough time in the shop without needing this!

Beau

Lifer
Jun 25, 2001
www.beauscott.com
Originally posted by: Pacfanweb
Originally posted by: zerocool84
Seafoam works pretty damn good but on a car only 4 years old i don't really see why you would need to. On my 37yr old car/engine it worked really well but your car is not even old yet.
Because today's cars carbon up faster.

I've taken the head off a mid-90's Ford and the intake valves had nearly 1/2" of carbon on them already....at 16k miles.

OP's car has 100k.

Personally, I'd recommend BG products.

I <3 BG products.

Saved me a bundle when looking at replacing fuel lines on a '92 VW Passat GL (aka: Car from hell)

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: Beau
Originally posted by: Pacfanweb
Originally posted by: zerocool84
Seafoam works pretty damn good but on a car only 4 years old i don't really see why you would need to. On my 37yr old car/engine it worked really well but your car is not even old yet.
Because today's cars carbon up faster.

I've taken the head off a mid-90's Ford and the intake valves had nearly 1/2" of carbon on them already....at 16k miles.

OP's car has 100k.

Personally, I'd recommend BG products.

I <3 BG products.

Saved me a bundle when looking at replacing fuel lines on a '92 VW Passat GL (aka: Car from hell)

My roommate from college works for them and always tells me about the wonders of BG 44K. I have to check that stuff out one of these days.